Hardware SD adapter for micro SDHC cards

Retal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When I bought a 1GB Micro SD card for my DS it came with an SD adapter. At the time I had no use for it, but now I can use it to adapt the card for my Wii. Now I want to buy an SDHC card for my Wii and I am wondering if the same SD adapter will still work for an HC card even though the adapter came with a non-HC card. Would an SD adapter still be the same for an HC card or has the interface changed for HC cards?

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if it doesn't come with the adaptor, it is probably a low quality clone chip. I would not trust it.
All the genuine, name brand chips, come with the adaptor.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The picture on the web site doesn't mean anything.
All PNY chips come in retail packaging, and include the adaptor.
Only way to know for sure is to contact the web site you are buying from and ask.
If it doesn't come with the retail packaging and the adaptor, or they say it is an OEM chip, you can almost guarantee it is not really a PNY chip.

There are many fake chips out there. It is really easy to screen print a brand name onto a generic chip. If you can't get a definite answer, buy elsewhere. You don't want to end up with a 2Gb or 4Gb that has been modified to appear as an 8Gb.

geegee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some manufacturers sell micro sd cards without adapters. I know that Kingston does and I think that SanDisk does too. Not sure about PNY.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Directly from the manufacturer is the only way you should ever buy a bare chip.
It is the only way you can be sure it is not fake.

If you want some more info on just how big a problem fake flash memory products are, check out the 'FrankenFlash Project'.
The main page mostly deals with USB chips, but if you dig around you will find SD cards too.
http://en.wordpress.com/tag/frankenflash-project/

It is a huge problem that many people are not aware of.

geegee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're buying it from a major retailer like buy.com, newegg, amazon then you're fine.

If you're buying it from ebay or dealextreme then who knows what the hell your getting
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Why do that when they make bogus accounts