Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raiser said:
QUOTE said:
So, SONY you failed again, you took my equipment but my mind is still free and you canot control it. You failed again. They are just tools, i can get new ones and will continue my HV reversing and bringing back PS3 Linux which you took from us. If you want me to stop then you should just kill me because i cannot live without programming, HV and Linux kernel hacking You know who am i and where i live, so come and get me !!!
This whole statement is obviously meant to mock Sony. But why tell this to us? He wants us to think he's this tough, courageous fellow.
Yes your mind will always be free, and yes, I'm sure Sony knows mind-controlling is out of the question. No one's judging you by your love of programming.

"...you should just kill me"? "...so come and get me !!!"?
Give me a break.

Though I won't try to judge this particular person's motives, I do agree with your sentiment. Some of these guys come off as though they're fighting a holy war.
rolleyes.gif

Now, if it was a battle to combat starvation or bring AIDS treatment to impoverished people in Africa or other parts of the world, I could sympathize with these battle cries. As it stands, however, they're just another round of Twisted Sister singing, "We're not gonna take it!" If he truly loved hacking that much, he wouldn't waste his time developing systems and means to give power to pirates/cheaters.

That's my two-cents worth.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
If he truly loved hacking that much, he wouldn't waste his time developing systems and means to give power to pirates/cheaters.

Did you even read what Graf's main focus is? NOT piracy, NOT cheats, he wants to GET LINUX BACK. It's like if you bought a cabinet and three months later the seller comes to your home and takes away a drawer. You paid for it when you made your purchase, it gave you something more, why wouldn't you want it?

On another note, damn this guy has ballz. I guess you gotta be a little insane to survive here - but once he starts talking about being a messiah and "Hackven" he he'll probably recieve a nice little straightjacket.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to be honest - I saw the image and laughed, and then couldn't help but laugh at all of the smiley faces.

That being said, this is certainly interesting. I hope all goes well for both parties, and they can each some kind of agreement. Though I highly doubt this will turnout pretty.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
Did you even read what Graf's main focus is?

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I did. And he hasn't persuaded me that his motives warrant such drama or attention. But if reading and comprehending are important to you, then I implore you to re-read my post in which I stated that I wasn't attempting to make a judgment regarding his motives, just the obvious motives of about 95 percent of the "homebrew" community. An armor-piercing-bullet manufacturer can argue that his products aren't intended for use in killing people, but it doesn't necessarily make me feel safe on the matter.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raiser said:
I admire the guy's guts, but anyone else hear him screaming attention whore?OK GUYS! You heard it: Being sued by Sony automatically makes you an attention whore.

And people seriously QQ over me telling people like this to shove it.

Bladexdsl said:
the guys got a few screws loose that's 4 sure
Segatron said:
Dang graf is one crazy motherf*cker, but more power to him
Gitaroo said:
sounds like he has some....issue....It's called being "eccentric". A lot of brilliant minds have odd quarks or habits or just behave "differently" -- we pride ourselves on our uniqueness, yet most strive for normalcy, I personally think THAT is weird. How can you be unique if you look, sound and act just like everyone else?

QUOTE(GeekyGuy @ Feb 25 2011, 09:45 AM)
Though I won't try to judge this particular person's motives, I do agree with your sentiment. Some of these guys come off as though they're fighting a holy war.
rolleyes.gif
Because they essentially are? I think the fact that you can't see it speaks more about you than him.
The way Sony and all the other big companies want it, what you spend your money on would still be their property. That they could do whatever they want to what YOU paid for and not care.
Other OS was advertised as a selling point and from what I read, allowed Sony to avoid paying certain taxes in areas because it fell into the area of personal computers rather than just a home console. Now they removed it? If you bought a car with air conditioning and the manufacturer went to your house and removed it, that would be illegal. But in this case it's fine? Do you maybe see the imbalance in that?
QUOTE(GeekyGuy @ Feb 25 2011, 09:45 AM)
Now, if it was a battle to combat starvation or bring AIDS treatment to impoverished people in Africa or other parts of the world, I could sympathize with these battle cries. As it stands, however, they're just another round of Twisted Sister singing, "We're not gonna take it!" If he truly loved hacking that much, he wouldn't waste his time developing systems and means to give power to pirates/cheaters.

That's my two-cents worth.
So everyone who uses this information is going to do 'evil'? Or because some will, he should stop?
Both of those are bullshit.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony can't win this. If Apple couldn't take down Geohot, there is no way Sony can, since the same things are involved here. I mean come on, a PS3 is exactly like a iphone or ipod, there is no difference, except the PS3 doesn't fit in the palm of your hands.

Now, it doesn't matter, if Sony can't take down geohot, they can't take down others as well.

Sony should stop this. Obviously, this is gonna end up like the iphone. Jailbreaking the PS3 will become completely legal.

Now that I mention it, they should just keep going. I mean, we all know it's gonna become legal in the end, so lets see it happens.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why do some people feel that another human being needs their approval to stand up for something? All of the sudden, this becomes an issue of drama and ego, totally submerging themselves on the individual's personality as the seed of argument.

@GeekyGuy
World hunger is caused by the commercialization of food. The is enough food in the world to feed every human being on the planet. A handful of corporations control the global food market. Corporations are only interested in making profits. Hungry people are usually surrounded by food, they just don't have the money to pay for it.

My view on this is the following:
Individuals Vs. Corporations

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
If you bought a car with air conditioning and the manufacturer went to your house and removed it, that would be illegal. But in this case it's fine? Do you maybe see the imbalance in that?

I have no way of knowing what your education is and, therefore, can only refer to my own studies in communication law. And according to U.S. law, if you signed an agreement that stipulated that the "air conditioning" you mentioned could, at any time by will of the manufacturer, in fact be removed by the manufacturer, no it wouldn't be illegal. Either way, the comparison is moronic on the face of it. Goods and services are not the same thing as creative works. It's a fine line, but that's the entire crux of this issue. The PS3 hardware does fall into the realm of goods and services, but the firmware does not. You can argue 'til the cows come home, but it's not going to change legality of the matter. At this stage in the game, the courts have to decide how to hash out all this diced ham.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sephxus said:
Why do some people feel that another human being needs their approval to stand up for something? All of the sudden, this becomes an issue of drama and ego, totally submerging themselves on the individual's personality as the seed of argument.
Exactly. I fear that my face has turned blue from repeating the same thing in other threads so often. It's a childish smear tactic that tries to politically equate the giant corporation and the individual that opposes them; even worse, it implies that figures like Hotz and chokolo somehow lie apart from the community because of this so-called "eccentricity," "arrogance," or "drama". Such logic is only worth ignoring or cruelly repudiating. If there is indeed drama in Sony's persecution of the homebrew/hacking community, it is because they have been placed in a situation that gives political expression to the contradiction between monopolizing control on a digital product and the customer's right to do with the product as he pleases.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
twiztidsinz said:
If you bought a car with air conditioning and the manufacturer went to your house and removed it, that would be illegal. But in this case it's fine? Do you maybe see the imbalance in that?

I have no way of knowing what your education is and, therefore, can only refer to my own studies in communication law. And according to U.S. law, if you signed an agreement that stipulated that the "air conditioning" you mentioned could, at any time by will of the manufacturer, in fact be removed by the manufacturer, no it wouldn't be illegal. Either way, the comparison is moronic on the face of it. Goods and services are not the same thing as creative works. It's a fine line, but that's the entire crux of this issue. The PS3 hardware does fall into the realm of goods and services, but the firmware does not. You can argue 'til the cows come home, but it's not going to change legality of the matter. At this stage in the game, the courts have to decide how to hash out all this diced ham.

and as was mentioned in every single other "Sony" thread, the user agreement is BS. it's inside the box and therefore cannot be accessed prior to the console's purchase. it cannot be considered legally binding... every other post in these threads is some sort of silly analogy so I'll throw one of my own in on this one... It's like someone giving you a fortune cookie and the message inside says, "If you open this fortune cookie I'm going to take all of your shit."

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
GeekyGuy said:
twiztidsinz said:

and as was mentioned in every single other "Sony" thread, the user agreement is BS. it's inside the box and therefore cannot be accessed prior to the console's purchase. it cannot be considered legally binding... every other post in these threads is some sort of silly analogy so I'll throw one of my own in on this one... It's like someone giving you a fortune cookie and the message inside says, "If you open this fortune cookie I'm going to take all of your shit."
http://us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NoSmokingBandit said:
Old8oy said:
GeekyGuy said:
twiztidsinz said:

http://us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/

derp...first line of link...

"Gaming is serious fun... as long as you play nice. This page provides access to user agreements you must adhere to when going online or participating in other activities like beta testing."

how about... "I don't have internet access. How am I supposed to go to Sony's website and read through all of the user agreements before making my purchase?"

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NoSmokingBandit said:
You cannot make the assumption that everyone has access to or will access the internet, so legally that is inadmissible.
I agree that it's highly unlikely that someone who buys a PS3 doesn't have access to the internet, but it is not a requirement to purchase.
An example of this would be that (depending on your states laws) you can operate a motor vehicle on PRIVATE property (with the owners consent) without a license.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@GeekyGuy
You assume too much and inherently presume you are right. One thing before I continue. Why don’t you set an example and respect everyone else’s opinion? You shouldn’t really categorize a comparison as moronic just because you do not agree with it.

First of all, when you dismissed the previous argument, you assumed that consumers signed an agreement in order to buy a console, which was not the case. A ps3’s major selling points are its advertised features. The only service involve is PSN. Your argument condoning the ‘moronic’ argument would be valid if it somehow related to PSN.

Sony is being sued for the removal of Linux. The court dismissed all charges except for the allegation that SCEA had violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. The court has yet to decide whether or not what Sony did was illegal, but you simply side with Sony with no valid arguments to support your position. Sony’s argument in this case is that the company had no way of knowing consumers wanted to use linux after their warranty had expired (1 year).

@MEGAMANTROTSKY
I wouldn’t go that far. “Such logic is only worth ignoring or cruelly repudiating.” That statement implies that we are always right. You have good intentions though.

Edit: Forgot source. Link

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1