scared of ips/tn debacle

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by kofman13, May 5, 2016.

1. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    About to get a New3DS but im scared to get a TN panel. Is the difference that huge? In comparison videos on youtube the only bad thing i notice about TN is when watching from big diagonal angles which I would never do. the blacks are richer on camera.. but in person is TN that bad? i dont want to go through the hassle of getting bad display and having to keep exchanging. i read about some people who couldnt exchange for a different one at gamestop for instance because people who worked there said its not a defect it works fine.

2. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    It's barely noticeable. I've got 'the good one' and I barely noticed a different between that and my old N3DS that bricked which had the 'bad screen'.
    Quite literally the only advantage of it is gloating you have the apparently glorious screen.

Honestly, don't worry about it.

3. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Don't worry. Honestly, it's such a minuscule difference. I myself own a TN and a IPS, but the difference is hardly anything unless you're playing from under a desk while a monkey rides on your back.

4. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    The fact that people need comparison screenshots to even tell the difference demonstates how small the differences are.

Tomato Hentai and NekoMichi like this.
  5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Definitely more than barely noticeable.

My TN panels on my Non XL n3ds are washed out and white compared to the ips panels in my N3DS xl.

Last edited by Memoir, May 5, 2016
  6. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    It's really not. You have to hold the system at an angle to tell for sure which shows you just how unnoticeable it is.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  7. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I'm gonna have to disagree with the above posters. It's definitely noticeable to me, specifically when dark colors are being displayed.
    It isn't a big difference and honestly I don't think I would've ever noticed if I didn't look for it, but it's there.

Last edited by invaderyoyo, May 5, 2016
    Memoir likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Then I have some bad screens. Looking straight on its a pretty good difference.

9. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    I have them both here N3DS XL (TN vs IPS) and it is not a real difference. You just notice it when you invite your family to play next to you with at least 7 persons *lolZ*.
    so in real life it is just a benchmark. although the "super stable 3D shit" is a bit more stable on the IPS display.
    the slower response times are also only measurable.

so don't worry about it.

10. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    It's uneccisary paranoia. I've got 20-20 vision and i can't tell the difference between the IPS top and TN bottom panels unless i hold the 3DS at angles that are impractical for actually playing the damn thing.

Don't buy into it, and don't feel jealous and left out because of the ***supposed*** IPS top and bottom crew bragging. Its a sham.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  11. Dennis G

Dennis G GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    not true, my n3ds has less saturation then my n3ds xl which has ips, it's not just the side angle and terrible black, but color depth ain't the same too