Hacking SaveMii (recovery dongle) launched

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
Have a problem reading? I used the conjunction "and"... a modchip AND 3.3 twilight hack saves installed.
When, in fact, you mean OR.

If you don't have a modchip, you need to have the TP hack installed.

If you DO have a modchip you can just build an autoboot disc to fix it.

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy is right. SaveMii will only boot autoboot discs.

The point of SaveMii is not to autoboot discs. The point is that it bypasses the normal system menu startup (much more than normal autoboot mode does), which works even in the case of "opera bricks" and the like. However, the disadvantage is that it ONLY boots autoboot discs and refuses normal discs. HOWEVER, it will install UPDATES from normal discs, but it will halt after installing them and refuse to actually boot the disc.

So yes, if you want to boot Zelda, it has to be a copy patched to autoboot and you need a modchip. However, if you just want to install updates (to fix opera bricks), you can use any retail game.

Retail Zelda is useless with SaveMii. It won't install any useful updates, and it won't boot.

You can do one of three things:
- Update using any disc with updates (must be signed by Nintendo - i.e. an unmodified retail game - if your wii is >3.3)
- Boot homebrew from disc if you have a modchip and

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
/me takes it all back.

Can't be right all the time.
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Richy Freeway said:
WiiCrazy said:
Have a problem reading? I used the conjunction "and"... a modchip AND 3.3 twilight hack saves installed.
When, in fact, you mean OR.

If you don't have a modchip, you need to have the TP hack installed.

If you DO have a modchip you can just build an autoboot disc to fix it.

Well I'm not the best english speaking one out here but someone with good logic can easily catch what I mean. If you don't have a modchip you can't patch zelda to autoboot right? That's the utter fact.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan said:
WiiCrazy is right. SaveMii will only boot autoboot discs.

The point of SaveMii is not to autoboot discs. The point is that it bypasses the normal system menu startup (much more than normal autoboot mode does), which works even in the case of "opera bricks" and the like. However, the disadvantage is that it ONLY boots autoboot discs and refuses normal discs. HOWEVER, it will install UPDATES from normal discs, but it will halt after installing them and refuse to actually boot the disc.

So yes, if you want to boot Zelda, it has to be a copy patched to autoboot and you need a modchip. However, if you just want to install updates (to fix opera bricks), you can use any retail game.

Retail Zelda is useless with SaveMii. It won't install any useful updates, and it won't boot.

You can do one of three things:
- Update using any disc with updates (must be signed by Nintendo - i.e. an unmodified retail game - if your wii is >3.3)
- Boot homebrew from disc if you have a modchip and

tona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
noobwarrior7 said:
assumptions I'm making before my question:
-opera bricks are the "region-swap-then-wii-tries-to-run-initial-setup" bricks..? (Can be corrupt setting.txt)
-banner bricks are what they are

question:
so then, is this in fact, as I originally stated, "one step above" starfall, so to speak? because I thought you
could not fix the opera error with starfall,

and if you CAN fix them with starfall...
and you have already been invasive by installing a modchip...
then theres no reason to buy this over installing starfall (unless of course you didn't have starfall already installed),
correct?

no rush for an answer
Well, there's only 2 ways to get a region brick.
1) You already have a semi brick and you make it do something stupid by other means.
2) You are installing a new system menu and it fucks itself up.

If you're at the point where you can do things like install Starfall, I have no idea why you'd do #1 when you can fix your semi bricks a number of ways.
As for #2, as implied by the definition, you'd be installing a new system menu. Starfall is installed as an in-place patch to the system menu. i.e. Installing a new system menu overwrites a starfall patched one.

So it's not so much of starfall not fixing region bricks, it's just the difficulty of getting them when you have starfall installed.

As for the "usefulness" assessment, that's pretty accurate. SaveMii is really only for people who have already-bricked Wiis. You wouldn't really have a need to buy one to sit around to wait for a brick. If you're at the point where you've heard of SaveMii, you're at the point where you can research how not to brick your Wii. Focus on that instead.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tona said:
noobwarrior7 said:
assumptions I'm making before my question:
-opera bricks are the "region-swap-then-wii-tries-to-run-initial-setup" bricks..? (Can be corrupt setting.txt)
-banner bricks are what they are

question:
so then, is this in fact, as I originally stated, "one step above" starfall, so to speak? because I thought you
could not fix the opera error with starfall,

and if you CAN fix them with starfall...
and you have already been invasive by installing a modchip...
then theres no reason to buy this over installing starfall (unless of course you didn't have starfall already installed),
correct?

no rush for an answer
Well, there's only 2 ways to get a region brick.
1) You already have a semi brick and you make it do something stupid by other means.
2) You are installing a new system menu and it fucks itself up.

If you're at the point where you can do things like install Starfall, I have no idea why you'd do #1 when you can fix your semi bricks a number of ways.
As for #2, as implied by the definition, you'd be installing a new system menu. Starfall is installed as an in-place patch to the system menu. i.e. Installing a new system menu overwrites a starfall patched one.

So it's not so much of starfall not fixing region bricks, it's just the difficulty of getting them when you have starfall installed.

As for the "usefulness" assessment, that's pretty accurate. SaveMii is really only for people who have already-bricked Wiis. You wouldn't really have a need to buy one to sit around to wait for a brick. If you're at the point where you've heard of SaveMii, you're at the point where you can research how not to brick your Wii. Focus on that instead.

ahh yes, the part in bold....duh...thanks for the clarification/reminder...
so yeah, sure, starfall probably COULD fix such a brick, except having that brick at all almost requires that starfall is not present at all

dunno what I was thinking....so yay for SaveMii!!!
on the other end of the spectrum...starfall can autoboot ANY disc...which is a nice feature.
I guess thats one difference between patching the system menu vs. inserting a dongle trigger
I seem to get substantially less DRE's when I autoboot, could just be coincedence.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gundalf said:
But more in theory. there is no proove that is really works i think.

Why would they take time and effert into something that is a big con?

Marcan, bushing and others involved aren't like that.

oh btw:

*Word of warning: Turn the volume down, way down before watching*

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
Prime said:
Why would they take time and effert into something that is a big con?

Marcan, bushing and others involved aren't like that.

Then i dont understand why the most people dont say that it has "only" an Nintendo Service Menu which doesnt help you.

Nevertheless thanks for your comment.

yugoho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I searched the Anytittle Deleter autoboot disc and the Anyregion changer autoboot disc but i haven't found...
Would you links to download these files?
Thank you very much.
Have a nice day.

(sorry for my bad english).

yugoho

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
yugoho said:
Hello,

I searched the Anytittle Deleter autoboot disc and the Anyregion changer autoboot disc but i haven't found...
Would you links to download these files?
Thank you very much.
Have a nice day.

(sorry for my bad english).

yugoho

if you have already homebrew channel
1. download iso template from http://hackmii.com
2. download any title deleter from http://wiibrew.org, from homebrew applications section... put it into sd card as you usually do with homebrew programs
3. download bootme (from wiibrew) or something similar and patch iso template as autoboot
4. burn the iso template, and boot your wii, it will boot into homebrew channel, then you can use any title deleter

if you don't have homebrew channel
1. download iso template from http://hackmii.com
2. download any title deleter from http://wiibrew.org, from homebrew applications section...
3. download bootme (from wiibrew) or something similar and patch iso template as manual boot
4. using trucha tool replace the main.dol from iso template with the dol of the any title deleter. trucha sign the partition and close the iso.
5. make iso template autoboot using bootme
6. burn the iso template
7. boot your wii using iso template , it will boot into any title deleter

there is no ready to use autoboot any title deleter disc around so you have to make it...
you can download and use the autoboot wad manager iso too... check the banner brick topics and you'll find the download...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!