Save the "Devil Dog"?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Owner of devil dog which savaged 10-year-old Scots girl pleads for pet's life

I saw this story in todays edition of the Sunday Mail (I work in a newsagents, I didn't buy the paper) and it made me think about something. Let's get some background out of the way first though. A Japanese Fighting dog has mauled a 10 year old schoolgirl, taking a chunk out of her cheek and scarring her for life. By the sounds of it the owner knew what to do and sounds responsible enough that this is somehow a freak accident but let's disregard that for now. Obviously there is public outrage as there always is when a child is mauled by a dog and they are calling for the dog to be put down. The owner doesn't want this to happen obviously and her calls for her dog to live made me consider something.

Here in Britain there is no Death Penalty for humans. We do not believe in killing those who kill others as a suitable punishment and have chosen to rehabilitate criminals instead. If a human had caused this attack there would be no question of them dying or not as they would get an assault/attempted murder sentence and be jailed for a long time. A dog is, by our definitions of an animal, less responsible for its actions than a human. Why should a dog be killed for an attempted murder where a human would still live? Surely the more responsible you are for your actions, the bigger the crime?

Edit: I read through some of the comments and am surprised about how adamant many of the commenters are that the dog should be killed. I'd have serious doubts over killing any living creature myself. I'm not a vegetarian or anything as I accept it as part of the food chain but I dislike the idea of having to kill anyone or anything unless absoultely necessary.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think its just because the dog has shown that it is a danger to the community, there is no guarantee of rehabilitation, and its better for the dog to be put down then for anyone to have to suffer another attack.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the dog should be killed.
I support the death penalty as it's both a punishment AND a deterrent. The justice system in Britain is completely screwed up.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Both parties have done wrong. The girl went over to the dog, where she was clearly told not to go, and because she's already 10 years old, she should know better than to go there anyway (unless of course she is retarded, and then I believe there really is no need for nonsense like this, because letting a retarded person loose is asking for trouble).

The dog also shouldn't have bit the girl, but that agressivity is in its nature, so you can't really change anything about it. So, if you're going to kill this dog, why not kill all dogs, because, y'know, they might injure someone too, right?
rolleyes.gif

The owner of the dog and the girl's mum should best be charged with uncarefulness (can't think of a better word so you'll have to do with this), because that's really what this is all about. Had the mum made sure that the girl was by her side, and had the dog's owner made sure the dog couldn't hurt anyone, none of this would have happened.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The dog has proven itself to be a wild animal and unless a zoo (or similar) chooses to keep it then it should be destroyed. It should never be allowed to be kept as a pet again.

Also, the woman should be charged with the assault.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is just fucking disgusting. That dog should be put to death as soon as possible, and maybe the owner needs jail time.

The girl was 10 YEARS OLD. She probably doesn't know how vicious dogs can be, and this is just wrong.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Pi said:
I think the dog should be killed.
I support the death penalty as it's both a punishment AND a deterrent. The justice system in Britain is completely screwed up.
This. I mean, we live in a country where someone who killed 250+ innocent people was let out because he had "3 months to live". That was over a year ago. Although an easier fix to dog attacks like this would be to just not allow people to keep these breeds of dog. As in jail sentences for people found keeping one.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thoob said:
Although an easier fix to dog attacks like this would be to just not allow people to keep these breeds of dog. As in jail sentences for people found keeping one.
Pretty much this. If you want to keep a dog like that, fine, but make sure it can never, ever hurt anyone.

Keeping dangerous animals is even dangerous for yourself. My Dad used to have a patient that kept snakes.

The guy died.

Because one of his snakes bit him when he wasn't paying attention for a split second.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why kill it to send a message to the other dogs, obviously not, so the one who should be punished is the owner who let the dog become the way that is while to dog is sent to some kind of rehabilitation for dogs.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
Thoob said:
Although an easier fix to dog attacks like this would be to just not allow people to keep these breeds of dog. As in jail sentences for people found keeping one.
Pretty much this. If you want to keep a dog like that, fine, but make sure it can never, ever hurt anyone.
No... I mean just no dangerous dogs, full stop. You can't "make sure" that it will never hurt somebody because it's just the dog acting on its instincts.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IchigoSJ said:
Why kill it to send a message to the other dogs, obviously not, so the one who should be punished is the owner who let the dog become the way that is while to dog is sent to some kind of rehabilitation for dogs.
Wait, send a message to OTHER dogs? What do you mean by that?

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well then if we are allowed to destroy animals because the mother was useless, then I say I should be able to walk into my neighbour's house and stab him to death because he stole from me. Bring back the death penalty David Useless Cameron. Anyway no I don't believe this dog should be put down.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thoob said:
No... I mean just no dangerous dogs, full stop. You can't "make sure" that it will never hurt somebody because it's just the dog acting on its instincts.
Yeah, that's what I tried to imply with the text that you didn't quote: it's impossible to stop accidents from happening, so this just shouldn't be allowed whatsoever.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
IchigoSJ said:

I mean other dogs aren't going to see this dog die and think "oh we better not attack people.".

Depravo said:
QUOTE(IchigoSJ @ Sep 5 2010, 05:33 PM)
some kind of rehabilitation for dogs.
You mean like every time it mauls a child someone taps it smartly on the nose with a rolled up newspaper while firmly saying 'No!'?
No Dogs are kept as pets because the can be taught to behave properly, for example dogs that are only trained to fight illegally have been changed to the point they can be pets.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IchigoSJ said:
Slyakin said:
IchigoSJ said:
I mean other dogs aren't going to see this dog die and think "oh we better not attack people.".
Are you serious?
Woops I read it wrong. I should wear my glasses

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The owner is willing to move to an isolated area to ensure it never happens again, and said she's willing to comply with giving up the dog if the professional deems the dog completely unsafe. She reacted quickly to the situation, and has been open about what happened with the victim's family as well as everyone else. As long as she follows through and actually moves, I think the dog should be allowed to live as long as the professional doesn't deem it completely unsafe and the owner agrees to some sort of behavioral training for the dog.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thoob said:
We have that here. Its called the "Dangerous Dogs Act" the breed that this dog is just isn't covered by it. Owners of the kinds of dog covered by it face charges if they own them and are liable for attacks (though apparently this attack isn't covered because it was in an "enclosed environment")

The woman obviously didn't train her dog to be an attack dog, in fact she acted fairly responsibly when it happened. What it boils down to is that it is the dogs fault I'm just saying that we don't kill humans for similar acts, so why kill a dog that has less responsibility for its actions? Its really the only thing we have to do if a dog is beyond reprieve though.

I would also like to take out this comment on the article
QUOTEI am a dog lover and have taken in many rescue dog's in my time!

However all dog owners have a responsibility, if your dog has attacked & tasted blood it is a fact that it will attack again. it is in it DNA

If any dog of mine attacked as this dog has done i would have no hesitation is shooting the dog myself.

The dog owner should be held accountable not for the attack but for the fact the dog is a known danger and has yet to destroyed!
You'd really not have any problem shooting your own dog? A dog that's been a family pet for years? You'd kill it just like that?
Also, "destroyed"? Not "put down". Not "killed". "Destroyed"?!?! Seriously? In my opinion thats a horrible thing to say. It implies complete and utter obliteration of the being. It seems cold and heartless to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc