Hacking Save game switch out?

deba94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just recently borrowed a retail copy of pokemon pearl from a friend for use with pokemon ranch. I read somewhere here at gbatemp that the save game can be dumped with some tools (which I have already done), backed up, and replaced with my R4DS .sav. My question is if anyone has successfully done this. I've looked around everywhere for a save sender PC application but have had no luck. I'm doing everything by wi-fi by the way, I don't own a slot 2 device.

Thanks in advanced
ph34r.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a save from the official cart of FF3 and transferred it to my R4 a long time ago. But I have a slot2 card and used NDS_Backup_Tool_Slot2 to get it, so I guess all I really did was bump your thread for you, since you don't have a slot2 and can't use that option.

I would imagine the WiFi version of the above mentioned program could do it....but I never used it.

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can use this tutorial. It uses wi-fi.

http://www.monroeworld.com/myfaq/index.php...&artlang=en

It will involve setting up a basic FTP server, but if you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. Put your save files in the directory that you set the FTP server to default to. (eg. c:\temp)

Once you get it set up, press R once, to open save restore, and restore the save file back to the orignal game card.

deba94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
krazykirk said:
You can use this tutorial. It uses wi-fi.

http://www.monroeworld.com/myfaq/index.php...&artlang=en

It will involve setting up a basic FTP server, but if you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. Put your save files in the directory that you set the FTP server to default to. (eg. c:\temp)

Once you get it set up, press R once, to open save restore, and restore the save file back to the orignal game card.
Thanks
smile.gif

But if been getting an error when dumping the save. Is there a limit to the amount of writes to the save portion of the game cart?

Thanks again
biggrin.gif

kend7510

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was able to do all that except it didn't work. The save restores (onto the retail cart), and DS shuts off. But when I turn it back up and go into the game, it's like nothing was restored. Are the save formats (of R4 and retail cart) compatible? If not where can I download a converter? The one in the sticky doesn't have a retail cart option...

kend7510

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
one is 64kb(retail) one is 256kb(r4), how are they compatible? I tried backing up one of my retail card saves and put it in and r4 with a rom and r4 reported save corruped
frown.gif

I'm using the 3-in-1 version of the backup tool btw.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've just successfully copied my 512K R4 Mario Kart save to my retail Mario Kart and it works fine, and without having to resize my R4 save first.

kend7510

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm...so let me make sure I'm doing this right.
First you execute the backup tool via r4, you go to save restore menu, and you press a, you select your save, press a until it asks you to switch slot-1 cart, and you switch then press a again, after the progress bar you press a and ds turns off. This should be it right?

kend7510

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see what the problem for my save file backup was. I had to set the save file size to 512 in the ini file which I didn't...
As for the restoring, I tried Apollo Justice and it worked, the first game I tried was Professor Layton, and it still doesn't work...
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands