Save files made by backup GameCube games

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by TonyRobinson, Dec 11, 2011.

Dec 11, 2011
  1. TonyRobinson
    OP

Newcomer TonyRobinson Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hey guys, firstly, sorry if this post comes out rough, my internet died and I'm writing this on a phone.
    So I was playing a backup copy of wind waker when I ran into the infamous dungeon map issue. I have a retail copy of the disc so figured I'd just use that instead. Unfortunately, I can't get the retail disc on the disc channel to detect my save file from the backup version which I launched using neogamma. Anyone have any suggestions of how I could sort this? I don't want to start the game again...
    The wii is soft modded. If you require any more details then I should be able to post them once the Internet is back.
    Thanks guys! :D

2. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    It sounds like your backup is different region than your retail.

I know its possible to convert Wii saves, but Im not sure about GC.
    I think you can copy a GC save from the memcard to an SD card using savegamemanager (or whatever its called), and if you can do that it should be possible to convert it.
    I have no idea how to though, I think its hex-editing some values or something.

I know for sure the way you launch the game dont affect how the game is saved though. Once a GC game is booted - thats it, the Wii acts as a GC, no exceptions (except dios-mios, but I doubt thats what you used ;) )

3. TonyRobinson
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your help. I can't say I'm looking forward to converting the save file, but I really can't be bothered starting the game again. So I guess I'll look into it. I'll post back of there are any developments.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If you use the latest NeoGamma, you shouldn't get the map freeze.
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test/

And if that(GC mode internal!) can't read your saves from your backup either, then you actually used a really old version of WiiGator's GC backup loader and not NeoGamma to boot your games.

5. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
  6. TonyRobinson
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your replies, guys. Unfortunately, I'm not very savvy with wii modding and I think I'm going to need some more help here. My NeoGamma was very out of date, the last time I updated it was to play super mario bros almost 2 years ago. So I downloaded the neogamma you linked to and installed it fine. I also uninstalled my MIOS Patch (???) that previously allowed me to boot GC Ganes since I figured that A. It was also out of date and B. The new NeoGamma wouldn't need it. Anyway, the new neogamma now just reboots whenever I try to boot my backup and just freezes when I try to boot the retail copy.

The 'GameCube.txt' file bundled with NeoGamma linked me to a download for 'Recommend MIOS(WiiGator's cMIOS)'. My main problem with this stuff is that I don;t know how this stuff works and find that I just download and install what I need to. Do I need to download this file? I tried install it but it was full of terms that I don't understand and mentioned that it was capable of bricking my wii if used incorrectly, so I thought I'd ask. Frustratingly, I don't know a bunch of stuff about my wii, like what cIOS I have, what MIOS I have, or more importantly, what those things ever are. Could anyone please explain to me as simply as possible what I need to do to get NeoGamma to boot my GC Games?

Thanks again guys, this site is awesome.

7. FIX94

Germany
  8. TonyRobinson
    OP

United Kingdom
    This is the same program I downloaded previously. It asks me which IOS to load...but I don't know which. Is there a way of finding out?

9. FIX94

Germany
    lol use IOS236 or IOS249.

10. TonyRobinson
    OP

United Kingdom
    It Works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the help, love you guys :D