Hacking Save elsewhere?

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popped my Wii's cherry last night, with the help of ModMii (it was a threesome.) Don't worry, we used protection.

Ok, now that I've milked that analogy to death, let me ask a question. Is there a way for me to make all my games save elsewhere? They only save on the Wii right now. But the Wii has only limited space for saving. I'd prefer for it to be able to save and load from my SD card. Is there a program or something that can change this for me? Something preferably not that complicated?

Also, while I'm asking questions, might as well ask about this. Everytime I insert a Gamecube disk, even though they're all legit, this program "Wii Gator Backup Loader" comes on, tells me it has an "Error reading DVD", and then works fine. What is this, and is the error anything to worry about?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saves: you can use Game Save Manager GX to move game saves, but it won't operate from within the game for loading/saving...you'll have to manually move it after the fact.... not understanding why this is an issue though...is it because of WW/VC? if so: instead of having WW/VC on the wii, you could use Sneek orMighty Channels for that....i've found it quite difficult to fill up the Wii system memory from game saves alone...(how many games are we talking anyhow?)

...or...you could use SNEEK for everything. it would load/save right to/from the SD card, but only because it'll be thinking the SD card IS your wii....

gamecube: AFAIK, the behavior you describe is 'normal' operation for WiiGator's cMIOS in regards to legit discs ....you could try wanin's cMIOS which doesn't have the backup loader menu and launches the GC games right from the disc channel....i've not used it, so i'm unsure if it'll give you different results....

hope this helps....

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, well my Wii came with about 800 or 700 Blocks of save data Open. SSBB took 124 by itself, plus I have Animal Crossing for 36, and the Internet Channel for 37. I have 541 Blocks left.

If other games take around as much space as SSBB or Animal Crossing do, I don't see how I could NOT run out of space sometime soon. Unless I just happened to stumble upon the only two games in the Wii catalog that take up more than a single digits worth of blocks. If that's the case though, then great.

Gator couldn't cause any system errors could it? Like from loading legit disks with it? Because if not, then I might as well leave it alone. I don't want to do any more modding than necessary.

Also, what is "VV/WC" exactly?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WW/VC = WiiWare/Virtual Console....games available for purcase and download from WiiShop Channel which consume ~200-350 blocks of data (i think: i know they're ~50MB and the wii system memory is a mere 512MB total, meaning i'd be surprised if you could fit more than 8 on your system withoutgame saves!)

most game saves take only a block or two....so, yes, you just happened upon two of the games which take a whole lot more....not the only two, but two of the handful...

as far as open blocks: what other channels are installed?....there's one channel in particular (Wii + Internet Channel) that comes pre-installed on newer wii's which takes up an enormous amount of room (1180 blocks...over half of the available system memory)...delete that...(it even says to watch, then delete right on the banner of it in the System Menu).... Save data space and channel space all come from the same pot of available wii system memory....

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap. You're absolutely right, it DID take up more than half of my damn storage space!

Alright. Now I have what appears to be two internet channels. I got one for 203 blocks in the channel section. And I've got one for 37 blocks in the game save section. I don't know when the first one showed up. It was probably there all along. But I know the second one came right after I downloaded the internet channel. So I'm guessing that the second one is where the internet works from. But that bein' the case, what does the first one do? Or are they both a part of each other?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, maybe I'll say something wrong as I didn't check it fully before doing this post, so I'm sorry if it's false.
I think there's a way to play a Wii game using an USBLoader and actually use the emulated nand to read/write the save files.
That way, you can have multiple users on the wii, and each his own SDcard with his own save files instead of using the Wii nand.
Not all usbloaders are compatible with it. I don't remember if it's config loader or Wiiflow. GX doesn't have it yet.

But now that you deleted the crappy "Internet is great" video, you shouldn't have any problem with getting out of space on your real nand.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
Well, maybe I'll say something wrong as I didn't check it fully before doing this post, so I'm sorry if it's false.
I think there's a way to play a Wii game using an USBLoader and actually use the emulated nand to read/write the save files.
That way, you can have multiple users on the wii, and each his own SDcard with his own save files instead of using the Wii nand.
Not all usbloaders are compatible with it. I don't remember if it's config loader or Wiiflow. GX doesn't have it yet.

But now that you deleted the crappy "Internet is great" video, you shouldn't have any problem with getting out of space on your real nand.
uloader has something like that

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:

Yes uLoader allows you to do this, and it has decent compatibility for wii game saves on an emulated NAND. However, I have used both SNEEK/UNEEK and uLoader and I definitely suggest SNEEK/UNEEK over uLoader, mainly because uLoader has a hideous GUI and worse compatibility than SNEEK/UNEEK.

Wiiflow will hopefully be adding NAND emulation in the future. This will be a nice feature, but it is still likely that the compatibility will not be as good a SNEEK/UNEEK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?