ROM Hack Save editing: Bravely Default

Meteo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone figured out how to edit sp potions? I think that would be the most useful thing since they are a pain to get.

castigear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
newbie question time: how exactly do I go about decrypting the save file? Using GW so the file is already on the sd card, but when I change the values and save, they don't do anything. and the exp locations listed earlier are all FFFF's. Any help would be appreciated, I installed savefiler and it isnt seeing anything on the sd card, and I am not sure that is how to decrypt anyway.

mapletata

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Money: Recommended 0x0000BEEA-BEED 00FFFF4F=4,194,300pg out of 9,999,999 max
Ex: Want/have 262,481 pg, anything not divisible by 4 or over 65536(10000h after division) gets separated.
0x0000BEEA 40 (1x40h=40h)
0x0000BEEB-C 5400 (84 after 262480/4=65620-65536=84=0054h=5400h)
0x0000BEED 41 (Not sure what the 40h is but the 1 is each 10000h of amount, so 41h=10000h, 42h=20000h, etc. I guess 50h=100000h is the next logical step after 4Fh=F0000h, but I'm not sure)

The "40" is the "Support Ability Cost". "40" is equal to 1 point, "80" is equal to 2 point, and so on.

femos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
When I edited the save, I lost spaces for the support abilities. I used to had 3, then I edited and there was only one. I try to awake more crystals, but with all of them 'awakes' I have only 3 support abilities spaces. Can anyone help me?

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A little save editor (in python for example, so< it can be used on any OS) would be very convenient and easy to modify so it can work with EU/US version too...

Just guessing :P

Erwing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been messing around with this all day and I ran into something interesting. I found the offsets 0000C5B9, 0000CB41 and 0000D0C9 for, what I assume to be, Agnes, Ringabel and Edea's Freelancer jobs, in that order. Problem is they're all following different patterns. Tiz's pattern more or less follows the OP, except there's an oddity where you can set either 0x0000C032-3 or 0x0000C031-2 to 90E2 and both result in Mastered Freelancer. The first option results in a neat table where other jobs follow in neat bytes behind, so filling in 80BB lines up neat and results in first mastered Knight, then Black Mage, then White Mage (I think, anyway. The order's a bit weird.)

However, changing xx31-32 instead of 32-33 results in some weird oddities. The reason why I'd want to change 31-32 instead anyway is because those two bytes, for my save, matched my Freelancer XP prior to editing. That is to say that by editing it the way the OP says, I end up with an extra byte before the rest of the JP bytes in the block that USED to match my Freelancer XP, but now just seems to keep the math straight on the rest of the jobs.

That said, I am pretty much stuck now that I've found the other three offsets. The math is different for all three. Tiz's math was only x2, but the others are different. I'll explain as best I can what I found but I know very little about hex editing and it's been years since I've had a math course, so it's a bit rough.

For Agnes, I have a save where she has 164 xp. The offset here, converted to decimal, displays 656. 656/2=328, 328/2=164, matches up fine. The same math checks out for an older save.
For Ringabel, 138 xp. The offset shows 1104. 1104/2=552, 552/2=276, 276/2=138, also checks out with an older save.
For Edea, 107 xp. Offset shows 1712. 1712/2=856, 856/2=428, 428/2=214, 214/2=107, which also checks out with an older save.

So, uh. First of all, refresh my memory, what's the proper way to mathematically express those patterns? And second of all, how can I actually use this information to fill in the blanks for all the rest of the jobs like I did for Tiz using the OP? Is the value for mastering the jobs even the same at this point, or do I have to assume that the value is entirely different for each character?

If anyone can lend a hand, I'd be most grateful. I'd love to learn how to decipher this stuff myself.

Oishikatta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been messing around with this all day and I ran into something interesting. I found the offsets 0000C5B9, 0000CB41 and 0000D0C9 for, what I assume to be, Agnes, Ringabel and Edea's Freelancer jobs, in that order. Problem is they're all following different patterns. Tiz's pattern more or less follows the OP, except there's an oddity where you can set either 0x0000C032-3 or 0x0000C031-2 to 90E2 and both result in Mastered Freelancer. The first option results in a neat table where other jobs follow in neat bytes behind, so filling in 80BB lines up neat and results in first mastered Knight, then Black Mage, then White Mage (I think, anyway. The order's a bit weird.)

However, changing xx31-32 instead of 32-33 results in some weird oddities. The reason why I'd want to change 31-32 instead anyway is because those two bytes, for my save, matched my Freelancer XP prior to editing. That is to say that by editing it the way the OP says, I end up with an extra byte before the rest of the JP bytes in the block that USED to match my Freelancer XP, but now just seems to keep the math straight on the rest of the jobs.

That said, I am pretty much stuck now that I've found the other three offsets. The math is different for all three. Tiz's math was only x2, but the others are different. I'll explain as best I can what I found but I know very little about hex editing and it's been years since I've had a math course, so it's a bit rough.

For Agnes, I have a save where she has 164 xp. The offset here, converted to decimal, displays 656. 656/2=328, 328/2=164, matches up fine. The same math checks out for an older save.
For Ringabel, 138 xp. The offset shows 1104. 1104/2=552, 552/2=276, 276/2=138, also checks out with an older save.
For Edea, 107 xp. Offset shows 1712. 1712/2=856, 856/2=428, 428/2=214, 214/2=107, which also checks out with an older save.

So, uh. First of all, refresh my memory, what's the proper way to mathematically express those patterns? And second of all, how can I actually use this information to fill in the blanks for all the rest of the jobs like I did for Tiz using the OP? Is the value for mastering the jobs even the same at this point, or do I have to assume that the value is entirely different for each character?

If anyone can lend a hand, I'd be most grateful. I'd love to learn how to decipher this stuff myself.

Do you have a physical cart of Bravely Default?

What I would express your patterns as is:

Tiz - Exp * 2^1
Agnes - Exp * 2^2
Ringabel - Exp * 2^3
Edea - Exp * 2^4

As to why they're that, I have no idea. I stopped working on the bravely default saves.

You might try checking other powers of 2 as well for other things.

Erwing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a physical cart of Bravely Default?

What I would express your patterns as is:

Tiz - Exp * 2^1
Agnes - Exp * 2^2
Ringabel - Exp * 2^3
Edea - Exp * 2^4

As to why they're that, I have no idea. I stopped working on the bravely default saves.

You might try checking other powers of 2 as well for other things.
Using an installed .cia version of Bravely Default for simplicity's sake working with savedatafiler.
Thank you very much, I knew there was an easier way to express it but I couldn't for the life of my remember what it was.

The weird thing is the 80BB value does work, but only sometimes, and I have to mess with the Freelancer value quite a bit to get it working. I have a feeling there's an extra byte, maybe several, on one side of the block or the other but I have no idea how it's all interacting anymore. I just started relying on trial and error. As of right now, my block for Ringabel looks like this:
Ringabeljobs_zpsevtcajg8.jpg

I changed the 0000's for jobs I don't have yet to 80BB just to see what'll happen and, for the most part, it works. Right now I'm just sitting on Spell Fencer not mastered and all jobs through chapter 2 unlocked, just starting on 3.
Edea's missing levels in both spell fencer and time mage for some reason and Agnes is also, for whatever reason, missing exp in spell fencer. I started unlocking new jobs (ranger, summoner, valkyrie, etc) after having edited the file out to, what I would've assumed max everything out, and for everything but those jobs, they unlocked maxed out for all characters.

I'm just completely lost at this point, not sure what I'm missing and my trial and error isn't really getting me any closer to finding it anymore.

EDIT: I decided to take a step back and just look at things on an individual basis, completely disregarding the 90E2 and 80BB advice. Using Swordmaster (which I had at 0 JP), I managed to calculate it out for all 4 characters. For Tiz, Swordmaster is stored starting at 0000C044 and uses JP*2^2 as the value. This is strange since Freelancer is apparently only JP*2. Evidently the values increment at certain points, and not necessarily only between characters.
For Agnes, Swordmaster starts atC5CC and uses JP*2^3. For Ringabel, CB54 JP*2^4. And for Edea, D0DC JP*2^5.

That said, I found my initial mistake right away - I assumed that ALL jobs for ALL characters would be stored as 2-byte pairs, and following the same pattern (the 80BB) when in reality, beginning somewhere in Tiz's job list (or maybe through the entire thing?) it actually uses 3 bytes. (And it's possible it may even go up to 4?) The only reason I ended up with mastered jobs at all is because it just completely overflowed WAY above 24000 JP.

EDIT2: There's more to this that I'm stuck on again. I have bytes overlapping each other now if I follow the pattern established with what I'm doing. IE, I have Knight beginning on C5BB, Black Mage beginning on C5BD, and Knight incremented at JP*2^2 FC7601 to store 23999 and overlap into the Black Mage's field. There has to be something somewhere that's controlling these increments. Anyone able to help out?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This took a stupid amount of time and I lost interest, if that's not enough PG for you, do it again when you run out or figure out the next step yourself. Sorry for rambling descriptions, I honestly don't think I can explain it any better, pretty much just trial and error.

Money: Recommended 0x0000BEEA-BEED 00FFFF4F=4,194,300pg out of 9,999,999 max
Ex: Want/have 262,481 pg, anything not divisible by 4 or over 65536(10000h after division) gets separated.
0x0000BEEA 40 (1x40h=40h)
0x0000BEEB-C 5400 (84 after 262480/4=65620-65536=84=0054h=5400h)
0x0000BEED 41 (Not sure what the 40h is but the 1 is each 10000h of amount, so 41h=10000h, 42h=20000h, etc. I guess 50h=100000h is the next logical step after 4Fh=F0000h, but I'm not sure)

Items:
0x0000B6F0 area, no idea what's going on around here, just know its the items, and goes a little like this:
Potion?(B6FA) have 11=D342, have 12=1343, have 13=5343, ..., have 64=1350

Villagers:
COLONY0.sav
0x00000004 Up to 80h=128
0x00000005 10h=128, 20h=256, 30h=384, etc.
Thus 6770h=999 Villagers, though I have 8060h=896 so I'm just guessing, 896 was more than enough for me.

Really appreciate this info. I have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to Hex. I placed the value (00FFFF4F) in Offset (0000BEE0) under (0A,0B,0C & 0D). This seems to have worked and gave me the 4,194,300pg as stated, but it seems that later *After I went to change my Abilities* that something was wrong. All but one of my characters was bugged out and would freeze the game forcing me to hold the power button. I would be able to change the other 3 characters job commands / support abilities if I went into the one unbugged character first (It was Ringabel), but if I tried to change Ringabels support ability directly, the game would freeze again.

I was able to fix this by re-inputting my old values from an older save reverting the pg back to what I had before. I'm wondering if I placed any of the values in the wrong spot, or if anyone else has had this problem.

iceedge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone had problems using the Update Data under the save menu after messing with their save file? I used the village save editor to add villagers and ever since then my update data will cause an error forcing me to power off my console.

D

Deleted User

*caugh* 3ds rom hacking, translations, and utilities *caugh*
*Caugh CAUGH*
Sorry, I'm sick.

Oishikatta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*caugh* 3ds rom hacking, translations, and utilities *caugh*
*Caugh CAUGH*
Sorry, I'm sick.

This was posted in "3DS - Hacking & Homebrew". Before it was split into several forums, there was only the one section. If you have an issue, I would suggest contacting mods to move it rather than complaining in the thread.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On for some topic stuff, I'm going to let values I've used here for various stuff, that have worked for me without breaking anything like abilities. Some of this is just guess work using info already provided here, so use at own risk and always make backup.

Note about Money: Abilities were fully equipped on all characters first, not sure if it matters. Originally when I tried editing money before watching these addresses myself, it took the amount of abilities i could equip away. It hasn't done this since I equipped everyone's abilities fully. Be sure to make a backup to be safe.

Money (as previously mentioned), 0xBEEA-0xBEED - FFFFFF7F - 9999999 pG

Tiz Job Levels (Unfinished, up to Red Mage at least, possibly others), 0xC031-0xC0063, Value - CCCF CCCF etc (will end at a CC)

Agnes Job Levels (Unfinished, up to Red Mage at least, possibly others), 0xC5B8-0xC5F7, Value - CCCF CCCF etcetc

Will Post Edea and Ringabel info later on. Also Looking into SP, but I haven't needed it yet, so might take longer.

Has anyone more information on the item section? Having trouble figure out the data structure, I know the item amounts are stored weird thanks to information left before. Thanks!

Last edited by EclipseSin,

sweatbox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Money (as previously mentioned), 0xBEEA-0xBEED - FFFFFF7F - 9999999 pG

Tiz Job Levels (Unfinished, up to Red Mage at least, possibly others), 0xC031-0xC0063, Value - CCCF CCCF etc (will end at a CC)

Agnes Job Levels (Unfinished, up to Red Mage at least, possibly others), 0xC5B8-0xC5F7, Value - CCCF CCCF etcetc

Will Post Edea and Ringabel info later on. Also Looking into SP, but I haven't needed it yet, so might take longer.

It seems to be frequently triggered and alive that thread. So i decided to help here.

If you can tell us the offsets of Edea and Ringabel and the values i can make a little save game editor tool.
(6 Buttons: LoadSave; MaxMoney;RedMageTiz; RedMageAgnes; RedMageEdea; RedMageRingabel; Save&Exit.
Source-code will be added too, of cause. Written in c# with VisualStudio2010)

Because the game is still very expensive (secondhand as well) i still haven't it, so i cant test on my one. Maybe someone interested in testing?
Why do i will make it so static? Because the calculation seems to be complex an as written i cant test.

If you think something else should be included in that editor feel free to tell me the offset, value and the effort.

Regards
sweatbox

Reactions: Doredialilligan

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to be frequently triggered and alive that thread. So i decided to help here.

If you can tell us the offsets of Edea and Ringabel and the values i can make a little save game editor tool.
(6 Buttons: LoadSave; MaxMoney;RedMageTiz; RedMageAgnes; RedMageEdea; RedMageRingabel; Save&Exit.
Source-code will be added too, of cause. Written in c# with VisualStudio2010)

Because the game is still very expensive (secondhand as well) i still haven't it, so i cant test on my one. Maybe someone interested in testing?
Why do i will make it so static? Because the calculation seems to be complex an as written i cant test.

If you think something else should be included in that editor feel free to tell me the offset, value and the effort.

Regards
sweatbox
I honestly put the game down and haven't played for a while. I should, it really is a good game. That said, I was going to keep going at the time, but no one had replied until recently when @Doredialilligan sent me a PM, sorry for not getting back to you by the way, so I didn't think anyone was really that interested anymore. So what I did mess around with, I don't really remember except the levels for Agnes and Tiz. I never did get anywhere with items though.

If I get some time soon I'll try and go back and look into the addresses. Their is a problem though, as someone mentioned earlier, some of the edits have weird effects. It was noted that someone lost their abilities or something. I did the money edit the first time exactly as described and lost mine too. Later on, I ended using my own guessed values and ended up with 5 ability slot things in chapter 1 after the first crystal.. So that's hooked in there somehow or something. Not really sure how that happened.

Anyways, I'll try and look into it when I have more time.

Reactions: Doredialilligan

sweatbox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks, I will be interested in it and will buy me a copy asap. It looks really great.

Back to topic ^^
So the issue comes from the money or from the job-manipulation?
Because ak!1 recommands 00FFFF4F=4,194,300pg out of 9,999,999 max. What do you guess?

Last edited by sweatbox,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol