wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
Saturn Valley Online
PC Homebrew
of1aklhe498ulhadsrf.png

Saturn Valley Online is an MMORPG based on Earthbound (Mother). The current release has a real-time battle system and players can team up with 3 other users to explore the 100+ map game world.

Change Log said:
• Completely redesigned game (NetGore engine)
• [Fix] Less to no movement lag

download.gif
 Off-site Download
icon11.gif
 Vids
icon11.gif
 Version History
icon11.gif
 Homepage

quacko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm going to give it a shot too. I loved Earthbound and enjoyed Mother 3 when the patch came out. Now I just need to find some people to go questing with me.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'll definitively try this one.

EDIT :

QUOTE said:
Attention new users!

By Skye - Posted on 01 May 2010
The alpha is closed for new users. You can make a skyon account, however you will not be able to log into the game with it until the Q4 release. The next version, built with a new engine written in C# will contain the Earthbound battle system, PSI, equipment, items, shops and more! However, a preview version of the new game will be released soon.

I'll have to wait some more
frown.gif

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah sorry about that. The current live version is the one written in Visual Basic 6 and is pretty laggy.

We're working on a C# version at the moment with a new engine called Netgore. Should have a teaser version ready in a week or two.

You can find some video footage of the old game(play) if you do a Youtube search for "Saturn Valley Online"
Here's a quicklink to the vids: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...24,20&uni=3

EDIT:

I should also mention we're working on a Earthbound battle system clone to replace the realtime one so it feels more Earthboundy
smile.gif

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It looks very nice ! I hope there will be a lot of people and a good community
smile.gif

EDIT : I lol'd at the " Rick Astley's Rick Roll in Saturn Valley Online! " video
biggrin.gif

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
The community is/was pretty awesome. Many people left when we stopped updating the outdated vb6-based game. However, there are still a handful of people around on the forum and those are the true dedicated fans. No doubt once we release the new version with the Earthbound battle system many of the old members will return.

Check some of the user-made youtube vids, you'll see plenty of people playing the game together.

Also, I'm looking into allowing new accounts to connect to the old gameserver so you can check out how SVO looked like back in the day. If you have a twitter account follow us http://twitter.com/TeamSkyon and you'll be the first to know when it's available again.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks amazing! I can't wait to try this out! I hope that my laptop will be able to run it without overheating and shutting down >.< anyways, this still looks really amazing and I can't wait to try it out!

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
SVO is really lightweight. Any laptop capable of running Windows XP will run SVO.

As for the C&D letters, have you seen Fangamer.net? They SELL Earthbound t-shirts and other merch, we offer a free to play game. If Nintendo starts suing people it would be them first
wink.gif
but then again it has been proven countless of times that NOA doesn't care about Earthbound.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
beautiful to advertise this on gbatemp... great work guys with an mmorpg of this nature
ahh the hope to make one yourself, if u get too many ppl then server issues will occur so its better to get satisfied with fewer committed ppl

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I saw the other PC homebrew so I figured I'd contact another world to ask if SVO is worth frontpage news.

As for the server, it's currently running on a server machine in my garage but if I see there are too many people for it to handle, I can move it to a friend's dedicated server in a datacenter in Holland and it should be able to hold 200-300 people online simultaneously. But then again, I don't think we'll reach that number anytime soon. I'd be happy with 50 online at the same time.

Also maybe worth a mention:

If you're a pixelartist, we're still looking for someone to help us create some new Earthbound-looking graphics.
Also a PHP programmer and a C# programmer would be welcome to join. We got 2 C# programmers at the moment but they're very busy in real life so development could speed up with a third.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So the idea here is to take a game that was great for its charm and tone in spite of its poor gameplay mechanics and put it in a genre that focuses entirely on gameplay mechanics?

Okay then.

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
We never said we'd be using the gameplay mechanics Earthbound uses. Most of the stats and battle stat-related mechanics will be adjusted and will be updated to be balanced if it's needed. That's the power of having the source
wink.gif
we'll be spending a lot of time to make the mechanics work out nicely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."