Same Zelda Characters/Locations in Different Games

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. The idea of every princess being named Zelda is a decree made by one of the kings to honor one of the first Zeldas. This also explains why in one game in particular Zelda doesn't find out that she's Zelda until someone tells her she is right before she gets the triforce ... but the "Zelda" name still applies.
This decree happened in the original Zelda and Zelda II though, which takes place at the very end of one of the timeline splits. It doesn't explain the same name in previous games in the timeline, or in other timeline splits.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im going to look at the Master Sword and its 5 biggest titles, WW,OoT, ALttP, SS and TP. Its simple to tell that it was made in Skyward Sword, however if you look at OoT you'll see it wasnt "blessed" (The light that shines around it in TP and WW near the end of both games) this leads me to think that the Twilight Invasion resulted in the final form of the Master Sword in WW. Same with where it was found in each game. If we assume that Gannon succeded in OoT (the "Dead" timeline) A Link to the Past suddenly makes shit loads of sense. The Master Sword being found in the Sacred Grove leads me to think someone (say a preist or even Shiek or Impa) hid it there as sort of a emergency location. Link then finds it there as intended in A Link to the Past. Gannon ruling the Sacred World makes sense if the first hero fails, the Maidens (assumably the desendents of the Sages) managed to protect Hyrule from Gannons direct influence, till they are all captured by Agnm (I forgot how to spell it :P) and dumped in the Dark World (Sacred World under Gannons rule). Also, I think people have TP all wrong. I think TP was BEFORE, OoT.
Think about it, the earliest game we see the Temple of Time is OoT right? WRONG! Its SS! Leading me to believe that the Master Sword was kept in the Grove till some time after TP. Then it was kept in a NEW Temple of Time (in fact, I think the Forest Temple in was the same old Temple of Time we see in TP, which I think was SS temple. In other words, I think the Door of Time was moved serveral times in its history. Which explain why the Temple of Time in TP is a reflection of the past, yet there is no Temple of Time in the Castle Town, it was some sort of Temple in between SS and TP. Ofcourse, that whole TP before OoT theory can be ruined by asumming that Castle Town was moved after the events of the Adult timeline in OoT, it would explain also why the entire area seems strange, yet also familiar. Half if that map could be the Hyrule we know from OoT, and half of it could be the new areas claimed by Hyrule since thier capitial was moved.

Wow, I just read over this and it has quite a few holes that im too lazy to fix. Feel free to widen them so I can properly correct myself :P

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I just read over this and it has quite a few holes that im too lazy to fix. Feel free to widen them so I can properly correct myself :P
Well, for starters, Twilight Princess takes place in the child timeline, and Wind Waker takes place in the adult timeline. So there's no way the twilight invasion could have an effect on the Master Sword's glow in Wind Waker. Also, remember in Ocarina of Time
Right before you deliver the final blow to Ganon, Zelda uses her power to pin him down and tells Link to "use your sword and deliver the final blow," upon which the Master Sword briefly glows with power. Whether this was meant to be Zelda "blessing" the Master Sword as the leader of the sages with the true power to repel evil (which would be in line with sages "blessing" the sword in Wind Waker similarly) or the Master Sword simply revealing its true power on its own in a time of need is open to interpretation.

Reactions: 1 person

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for starters, Twilight Princess takes place in the child timeline, and Wind Waker takes place in the adult timeline. So there's no way the twilight invasion could have an effect on the Master Sword's glow in Wind Waker. Also, remember in Ocarina of Time
Right before you deliver the final blow to Ganon, Zelda uses her power to pin him down and tells Link to "use your sword and deliver the final blow," upon which the Master Sword briefly glows with power. Whether this was meant to be Zelda "blessing" the Master Sword as the leader of the sages with the true power to repel evil (which would be in line with sages "blessing" the sword in Wind Waker similarly) or the Master Sword simply revealing its true power on its own in a time of need is open to interpretation.

Yeah, ill take that. What about my Temple theroy? I honestly cant think of any other reason as to why the Temple ruins are in the grove.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Good point, but still, royalty has a tendency to repeat names. It could be the same concept like Henry VIII. They just neglected to state that she's really Zelda IX.
Yeah, but if that were the case, there would be no need for a decree in the first place.
Hmm, maybe it was like
Queen Zelda
Queen Mary
Queen Zelda II
Queen Zelda III
Queen Mary II
Queen Ellen
Queen Mary III

Zelda IV, V, VI, VII, etc.

(the change after the decree was that ALL were named Zelda)

Zelda is named Zelda because the game's name is The Legend of Zelda and if there weren't a Zelda in any Zelda game for a long time it would be weird. (the only two exceptions are Link's awakening and Majora's Mask which doesn't take place in Hyrule and, therefore, there's no princess Zelda)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Zelda is named Zelda because the game's name is The Legend of Zelda and if there weren't a Zelda in any Zelda game for a long time it would be weird. (the only two exceptions are Link's awakening and Majora's Mask which doesn't take place in Hyrule and, therefore, there's no princess Zelda)
I understand your point but we're kind trying to figure out the reasoning from the other way around.
Why is she always named Zelda so that the legend and therefore the game had to be named after her?
:P
In other words. ;)
The game is name after a legend (or series of legends) that are named after girls named Zelda but the reason why they were all named "Zelda" is a mystery other than just "the game designers wanted it that way"

Reactions: 2 people

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The game is name after a legend (or series of legends) that are named after girls named Zelda but the reason why they were all named "Zelda" us a mystery other than just "the game designers wanted it that way"

You just gave a good point, the games are based on legends. Therefore, it would not be uncomon to have inconsistencies in a legend since sometimes the legend changes depending on time, location and culture where it's told. How many different versions of Bloody Mary have you heard of, for example?

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What I still need clarification on:

Fi.

Where is Fi in the other games? I know the actual reason for it (the fact that Fi wasn't made up back then), but what would be the in-series reason?
Fi's spirit lives within the Goddess Sword, and later the Master Sword. At the end when Demise is sealed within the Master Sword, Fi's work is done and she most go to eternal slumber to keep Demise's evil locked away.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
What I still need clarification on:
Fi.
Where is Fi in the other games? I know the actual reason for it (the fact that Fi wasn't made up back then), but what would be the in-series reason?
Why is Midna not in any other games? (I haven't gotten to the end of each so this might just be a stupid statement ... )
Anyway, I'd guess she was created just for that specific purpose of helping that particular Link and then she either ceased to exist ... went to computer heaven .. or something like that.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Why is Midna not in any other games? (I haven't gotten to the end of each so this might just be a stupid statement ... )
Anyway, I'd guess she was created just for that specific purpose of helping that particular Link and then she either ceased to exist ... went to computer heaven .. or something like that.
At the end of Twilight Princess, Midna returned to the Twilight Realm using the Mirror of Twilight. Right at the last second, she used her power to permanently destroy the mirror to prevent any communication between the worlds of Light and Twilight, so another catastrophe (like the one Ganondorf and Zant caused by blanketing Hyrule in Twilight) wouldn't be able to happen.

324atk

GBATemp's Personal Chocobo Breeder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we're on the topic of what happened to certain characters, what happened to Navi? I know she left and Link is rumored to have gone looking for her and that's how Majora's Mask started but did he ever find her?

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Since we're on the topic of what happened to certain characters, what happened to Navi? I know she left and Link is rumored to have gone looking for her and that's how Majora's Mask started but did he ever find her?
It's never made clear. At the end of Majora's Mask, you see Link travelling through the Lost Woods again (presumably looking for her), but that's it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: