Ryujinx Nintendo Switch emulator gets major performance improvements in new POWER and LDN 2.3 update

RyujiNX-Nintendo-Switch-PC.png

Ryujinx has been successfully emulating Nintendo Switch games for a while now, but the latest update to the emulator marks a major milestone in terms of performance improvements across the board. The dev team has implemented their new POWER (Performance Optimizations With Extensive Ramifications) upgrade into the main build of Ryujinx. This change, put simply, optimizes the load being put onto a user's CPU and allows for lots of games to run at full-speed, including those on lower-end hardware.

For much of recent memory Ryujinx has been widely known as a highly compatible, feature-rich emulator with one caveat: without a high-end PC, many first-party games simply ran too slowly to be considered playable. We aim to change all that with today's major overhaul of the emulator's memory management, (absurdly but affectionately) nicknamed POWER - Performance Optimizations With Extensive Ramifications. Lowering CPU requirements and increasing headroom for higher end PCs, this update effectively unlocks full-speed gameplay for a vastly larger audience. Thanks to the joint efforts of gdkchan and riperiperi, users with all kinds of hardware can enjoy performance increases anywhere from 20%-100% and beyond, depending on the game and the user's PC specifications.

In performance tests done by the developers, you can see games that previously had issues running at stable framerates before, like Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, now emulate at faster speeds thanks to the POWER update. Ryujinx's team also measured how the POWER build runs on all sorts of hardware, ranging from a high-end Ryzen 7 machine, to a low-spec laptop with onboard graphics. Certain games benefited from increases of over 30fps more than before, as well as dramatically faster boot times.

The LDN netplay feature also saw some improvements, too, adding in some performance tweaks for Monster Hunter Rise and Pokemon Sword & Shield, while also benefitting from the POWER update, as it allows more stable emulation, and therefore more stable connections for players. Anyone interested in checking out the new build can go download it from the official Ryujinx website.

:arrow: Source
:download: Download

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I've got to find a guide and time to install Linux because I've had lackluster performance on my AMD machine with both emulators.
It's super easy. Just download Rufus, acquire a 4+ GB USB drive, and grab Ubuntu or one of its many forks. Installing pretty much just involves creating an account and clicking "Next" a bunch. I personally recommend Pop_OS! since you have an AMD machine. I get the most out of my MBP with it, and I can probably safely assume you have better hardware than I do. I haven't tried one of the Switch emulators yet since I have a Switch, so I can't speak for their performance, but gaming in general has been perfectly fine.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like an excellent reason for me to learn how to dump my Switch games library, I'm curious to see how well they'll run on an i5 4690K and RTX 3070.
I would think that CPU would bottleneck that card, but I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's super easy. Just download Rufus, acquire a 4+ GB USB drive, and grab Ubuntu or one of its many forks. Installing pretty much just involves creating an account and clicking "Next" a bunch. I personally recommend Pop_OS! since you have an AMD machine. I get the most out of my MBP with it, and I can probably safely assume you have better hardware than I do. I haven't tried one of the Switch emulators yet since I have a Switch, so I can't speak for their performance, but gaming in general has been perfectly fine.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
No problem. As an added bonus, if you have an Intel CPU, check out the Xanmod kernel. It has pstate and fsync support, which are both greatly beneficial to gaming. It's also just an all-around-good kernel, so I recommend it regardless.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: Mama Looigi

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let me know when Deadly Premonition 2 is actually playable (of course that probably means inaccurate emulation). Hard to tolerate the 20 fps on Switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-