Homebrew Running GC games on softmodded Wii?

EvCrock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help out? I'm pretty new to this whole backing up games business. I've got windwaker, and tried to run this burnt backup copy on my Wii using the Wii loader, Neo Gamma something? Anyone know a GC loader that works? Preferably one that can run a disc with multiple ISOs?

EvCrock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, I'm very new to all this, heh, I don't really know what that means. I had a friend do it for me, and so far I've had luck with all the applications I've downloaded for it. Anyone know how to explain this stuff to a complete noob?

chrisf

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
download the custom mIOS rev3 and run it in the homebrew channel. it will install the custom mIOS.

mIOS allows the wii to run gc backups on dvd-r
cIOS allows the wii to run wii backups on dvd-r, sd card, hard drive, etc.

u probably already have cIOS installled if you are runnning wii backups. ive used neogamma to load gc games before, but i now use wiigator's gc backup launcher

EvCrock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright.... how does one go about doing that exactly? I read the read me, but I'm not very familiar with all this stuff. I dowloaded the MIOS rev 3 annd.... have no idea what to do now, hah

chrisf

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there will be a .dol file in the custom mios that you downloaded. that is the installer. if it is not named BOOT.DOL then rename it to that. and then copy its whole folder into the "apps" folder on the sd card in your wii.

should be something like sd:/apps/cmios-rev3/boot.dol

it will show up in the homebrew channel and you run it once to install it. then it can be removed from the card if it installs successfully. then gamecube backups will be working as long as u burn them right.

chrisf

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sgnmg4ever said:
try renaming the dol file to just boot and put it in the apps folder in the sd card sd:/apps/cmios-rev3/boot worked for me

what he said^^

if u do not have windows set so it shows file extensions. you may have named the file boot.dol.DOL. if thats not what happened you dont have the mios folder in the apps folder

resincake

Trophies
XP
Country
Whatever you are using to download the mios v3 files (linux, macos,etc..) extract the files from mios v3 so you have *.dol (* = any name). Rename it to boot.dol (or as mentioned just boot, if extensions are hidden on the system you are downloading from).

next, make a folder called 'mIOS' and copy the boot.dol (or Boot as explained above) to the folder. Then copy the 'mIOS' folder to the 'apps' folder on your SDCard.

Now when you use the SDCard in your wii, and load the Homebrew Channel the mIOS folder will be there, so click it and go through the installer (It is pretty safe, so just click through it as you seem to do naturally).

Finally, find a gamecube backup launcher WAD (Google search found me many results when tested), and install it via WADManager.

You will now have a GC Backup Launcher Channel on your Wii's System Menu, that will load Gamecube games (Including multidisc GC Games).

I have tried to make this as noob friendly and simple as possible, hope it helps you.

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the mios from wiigator is much better than waninkoko.

you can play starfox adventure perfectly and starwars rogue squadron 2 with it. two games which doesn't work with mios v3 from waninkoko.

resincake

Trophies
XP
Country
The speech works on Starfox Adventures withwiigator's mIOS ? As thats the only issue I have with Starfox Adventures. Also with waninkokos mIOS you can get games working that the compatibility matrix says don't work, if you use ftsfix to rebuild the image to a 3gb one (games like Baten kaitos 1 & 2, Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy and GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, etc..). These may also work on wiigator's mIOS, as I havent obviously tested them, once fixed.

Basically I can play every game I have tried with waninkoko's mIOS, except in Starfox Adventures there is no speech. Rogue Squadron 3 I havent tried, as I have the original.

Posts merged

The speech works on Starfox Adventures withwiigator's mIOS ? As thats the only issue I have with Starfox Adventures. Also with waninkokos mIOS you can get games working that the compatibility matrix says don't work, if you use fstfix to rebuild the image to a 3gb one (games like Baten kaitos 1 & 2, Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy and GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, etc..). These may also work on wiigator's mIOS, as I havent obviously tested them, once fixed.

Basically I can play every game I have tried with waninkoko's mIOS, except in Starfox Adventures there is no speech. Rogue Squadron 3 I havent tried, as I have the original.

zoltanut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does installing the custom mios effect loading of original GC games ?

ive read conflicting reports about it .

If it doesnot i will install it .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I think I did then it broke a few months later