Running a PS2 on your computer with S-Video cable

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Shakraka, Aug 19, 2008.

Aug 19, 2008
  1. Shakraka
    OP

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My basement TV broke, so now I have to practice my Guitar Hero (lol) on other means besides a standard TV. I read online that with an S-Video cable, I can hook up my PS2 up to my computer and play it. So, my question is, how do I do it?

Also, I read that you would need a TV tuner installed on your computer (which I have) to play it. Is it really as simple as plugging the S-Video cable from my PS2 to my PC?

Oh, and I bought the S-Video cable from here:
    http://www.accstation.com/gsonps3xcab4.htm...07=gsonps3xcab4

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Does you tuner have an S-Video port? If yes, then yea it's pretty much that easy.

3. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    if you can connect your PS2 to your TV Tuner card via co-axle, that's all you'd need...

but playing video games on your PC is almost impossible...

When you "watch" TV on your PC, your about 2-3 seconds behind live because it records it to the HardDrive to you have DVR controls (such as rewind, and pause)... so even playing Super Mario Bros is extremely hard because you have to react 3 seconds BEFORE you see what's on the screen.

Guitar Hero would be impossible unless you've memorized the keys before you play the song.

4. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Why can't you hook it up to your monitor directly?

5. Shakraka
    OP

United States
    Uh, heh, I'm not sure what you mean by "co-axle", but about the 3 second delay thing; I heard if you buy a expensive TV tuner, games would run smoothly, and I'm not really sure what kind of TV tuner I have. (My brother installed it on this computer) Is there any way to check what kind of TV tuner I have? I know the program I use to watch TV is called WinFastPVR, if that information is helpful.

Thanks for the help.

Edit:

Aren't the cables for that expensive? I think it's around 30 dollars, and I'm kind of limited to what I can spend.

6. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    co-axle is the standard TV cable... you know, that black cable that goes from the wall to your TV...

As for the 3 second delay... it doesn't matter what tuner you have, you will still have the 3 second delay.

It's not the tuner doing it... it's your PC. Like I said, because the computer RECORDS the video to your hard drive, THEN plays it back, there is a 3 second delay.

Here's how to prove it. Turn on your PC's TV, and set up a regular TV next to your computer, or in the same room, or close enough to hear it. Turn on the same channel... now watch or even listen...

Your PC will be 3 seconds behind actual live TV...

Because the PC records the video, THEN plays it back, and there is NO WAY to stop it doing this, you cannot play video games via a TV Tuner on a PC with any sort of control. You will have to press the correct buttons 3 seconds BEFORE you see it on the monitor.

I'm not just saying this to discurage you. I have tried it. It just can't be done. Sorry to break it to you.

Just hook up your PS2 to a different TV for now.

7. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The deciding factor in if a TV Tuner card can play video games is not how expensive it is, but if it does hardware or software encoding. If a TV Tuner does hardware encoding, meaning it processes the incoming video on the device itself, then you're usually out of luck and will experience the 3 second+ lag. However, if you have a software encoding TV Tuner, than the tuner just passes your computer the raw video, and it's up to your computer's processor to encode it etc. This means that you usually have unnoticeable amounts of lag. You will also have to turn off the feature which lets you rewind and fast foward live TV. This will also create a large amount of lag.

I've got a software encoding TV Tuner and it works great for my Wii. I can play twitch games like SSBB with no problems. Don't expect the picture to to look perfect however. It's usually a bit fuzzier than normal TVs.

I think that covers it. If you're still trying to identify what kind of tuner you have, the software encoding ones are usually smaller and shaped like a thumb drive, such as the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid (For the Mac), or the Hauppauge WinTV Hybrid 950. I've personally tested both of these, and found the the EyeTV Hybrid works slightly better (It's technically the WinTV Hybrid 980). However, any thumb drive shaped tuner should work.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that both these tuners have a small cable which allows you to use Component or S Video, as well as Coax

8. Jiggah

United States
    You can use Media Player Classic or DScaler to overcome the 2-3 second delay. Don't bother with all that other jazz. What kind of tuner card do you have?

If you're brave you can try GraphEdit. It's an extremely technical program and can mess up how relations between different filters but it allows you to connect filters directly to the hardware to minimize lag time.

9. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States

Or just play it at a friends house. Or on another TV. Or hook it up directly to the monitor.

10. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    A TV tuner card costs that or more.

11. Jiggah

United States
    He already has one. So, it's free.

12. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Don't mean to burst anyones bubble but I play a PS2 through my TV tuner just fine. I did turn off the record while you watch function though.

13. Shakraka
    OP

United States
    How can I use Media Player Classic to get rid of the 3 second delay? Also, the guy's post above me said he turns off the record while you watch function, and I also have that turned off.

And I still don't know what kind of TV tuner I have... I can't find a way to figure out which one I have.

14. Jiggah

United States
    Open up Media Player Classic, select open device, select your tuner card and the tuner audio, go to filters and there should be a way to switch to your s-video/composite input.

15. chroncile

Newcomer chroncile Newbie

Canada
    I did that, and it worked perfectly, but now I don't have audio, can you please help me? Thanks. [​IMG]

16. Shakraka
    OP

United States
  17. chroncile

Canada
    Shakraka, I don't think media player classic has sound, I tried it and it didn't have any sound [​IMG]

18. Jiggah

United States
    I think it depends on the card. What card do you have?

19. chroncile

Canada
    I really don't know [​IMG]
    But my PC is HP pavilion a6077c, can you please check which card I have? Thanks. [​IMG]

20. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    If your sound card has input sockets you could try plugging audio cables to your sound card instead of your tuner.
    Your sound just needs to reach the speakers, if your video doesn't lag the sound will be pretty close to in-sync.