Hardware Rumor on a redesign for the 3DS

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
More powerful hardware - personally I feel that the 3DS is doing absolutely fine.
For me - not really. It would be a real improvement if all the games could ran in stable 60 fps, even in 3D mode, and if they could use antialiasing to compensate for 3DS' low resolution screen. Currently the only antialiased app I could think of is Pokedex, but that's not a real game.

QUOTE(chris888222 @ Aug 26 2011, 12:15 PM) Higher resolution screen - no chance? Maybe Ninty may eliminate backwards compatibility and upgrade the vertical pixel count to 800 X 480 in 2D. Just me though.
Oh yes, I forgot Sharp produces the second version of this screen. As it has simply double the 3DS' screen vertical resolution, there would be no need for dropping the backwards compatibility, as they would only need to double pixels vertically... but still, you'd need twice the VRAM, higher-resolution textures etc., and 3DS has not much resources to spare.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
You're silly... You really think it would require much in the way of batteries? When was the last time you changed your TV remote's batteries? An IR blaster uses nearly no electricity as it's just a simple low powered LED that sends out non-visible light... For 10 dollars, I'd imagine this would be a "use and throw out" that's intended to have a 2-3 year 'lifespan' then replaced.
(edit) to expand on the IR port, I mean that for $10 it's quite believable it's an extended snap on case to the back that could contain a small non-rechargeble battery. Hell, it could even come with a rechargable that draws power from the same port the 3DS uses for it's drop on charger... That said, I'm much more inclined to believe that if Nintendo really has the price that low it will simply be disposable with an average 2-3 year life span.

Are you suggesting that an IR LED would be the only component in such a device? There would be an analogue to digital converter in there, the power would have to flow constantly, monitoring the analogue input, converting it to digital and passing it through the LED.
TV remote batteries last so long because 99.9% of that time, they do nothing at all. This device would be in constant use, the drain would be way way quicker. To test, go stick an LED onto a battery and time how long it lasts. my bet is about a day, that's how long one of these devices would last.

Big 'DS' announcements usually end up being a 'new colour' or something like that.

I like the idea of a DSiLite, it sound like something they would do.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
alexbulluk said:
How would a second circle pad even be added to an original 3DS?

That would be really difficult, right?

Not necessarily, but I'm more concerned about the logic behind having an attachment like this. Is it going to be sturdy? Comfortable? Easy to install? Allows the lid to be closed? I don't see Nintendo making any peripherals for the 3DS unless they can demonstrate these points.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
alexbulluk said:
How would a second circle pad even be added to an original 3DS?

That would be really difficult, right?

Not necessarily, but I'm more concerned about the logic behind having an attachment like this. Is it going to be sturdy? Comfortable? Easy to install? Allows the lid to be closed? I don't see Nintendo making any peripherals for the 3DS unless they can demonstrate these points.

It's not going to be any of those things, because it's not going to be. It's all made-up trolling horseshit.That site (01net) has been running a series of Nintendo-damaging hit pieces for the last week ... all allegedly based on interviewing an anonymous source who is not only a Nintendo employee, but is so high-up in the company that he is privy to the internal politics of the board of directors and the R&D department's closest guarded secrets. It's absurd. The latest article says Iwata himself is in jeopardy of being fired now, all because of the weak launch of the 3DS. Yeah right ... the man responsible for Nintendo's best selling handheld ever and the best selling console since the NES is gonna be fired after a few months of weak sales. Sure.

"Hit 'em when they're down" is what this is about. Question is, who's paying 01net to print it?

edit: or, maybe they're just needing the traffic. I'm sure they've seen about a buhjahmillion more hits in the last week than usual.

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't need another circle pad for fps! I've played metroid prime hunters and the controls are awesome once you get used to it!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mudassirul said:
Don't need another circle pad for fps! I've played metroid prime hunters and the controls are awesome once you get used to it!
And they can be more awesome with another circle pad. Why do people keep bringing up FPS? More games in other genres use 2 analog sticks than FPS.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
mudassirul said:
And they can be more awesome with another circle pad. Why do people keep bringing up FPS? More games in other genres use 2 analog sticks than FPS.

nintendo will just deal with fps's like they do with the wii..... its called motion control.....works amasing with oot3d when aiming and i cant wait to use it for a 3ds call of duty game...

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
shaunj66 said:
Weaselpipe said:
Nintendo have said that it is just an internet rumour....
They would say that. They always do.

But check this out, regarding the announcement of the DS Lite:

Jan 16, 2006
QUOTE said:
Nintendo have denied rumors that they are to announce a redesigned DS at a press conference in Japan today.Rumors kicked off after Hong Kong-based online retailer Lik-Sang cited Japanese retail sources when it reported that Nintendo were planning a GBA SP-style redesign of their latest handheld as stocks of the current model continued to dwindle over Christmas.A spokesperson from Nintendo of Europe has now put paid to the reports, however, by calling them “pure rumour and speculation"Source: Here

Jan 26th 2006
"Nintendo President Satoru Iwata today announced Nintendo DS Lite, a slimmer version of the best-selling Nintendo DS™. Also featuring brighter screens, Nintendo DS Lite will launch in Japan in March. Nintendo DS Lite will be less than two-thirds the size of the original Nintendo DS and more than 20 percent lighter.[/b]
Source: Here

They are using the same statement now (regarding the 3DS re-design/add-on ) as they did just 10 days before the DS Lite was announced.

I'm not saying it makes this rumour any more credible... It's just facts.
Wow, all that for nothing. Google, please define rumor for me please.

ru·mor [roo-mer] noun
a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts

Are you people expecting Nintendo to answer "yes it is true" before the conference ??

Silly Tempers,...

Pip'

hksrb25s14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's called NDS (with no or less 3D) What's the point of doing all this?, Feels like a downgrade more then a upgrade. Man Now i really want a PS Vita.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Demonstryde said:
nintendo will just deal with fps's like they do with the wii..... its called motion control.....works amasing with oot3d when aiming

Too bad it completely destroys the 3D effect.

BloodWolfJW

Marotheit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope they give it to us March 27th buyers for free
smile.gif
I know were already getting VC for free, but, that just seems fair.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmmm the 3D is kay at the first few times you play. Now it is standard so I never really play in 3d anymore on my old games(Zelda and the 14 others)

bik_84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if this rumor is true, it will piss of a lot of current 3ds owners.. It will be bad for nintendo if they do a major redesign at this stage, i for one will boycott nintendo products(never gotten over the fact that i bought a 250usd 3ds then a few months its 170usd).. regarding the 2nd analog stick, it is possible to add a suction analog stick just like with the ipad. It could be placed on the lower right corner of the touch screen then the mounting suctions could be attached above the power button.

nikochanr3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No chance in hell of redesign announced now. Purpose of conference is to boost stock price, which will be done through announcements that will cause people to think Sales of system will increase for THIS holidau season. A redesign shoots this holiday season to hell. You don't hold a press conference to kill your stock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Happy birthday, btw