Ruined Micro SD?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by yatesl, Dec 19, 2009.

Dec 19, 2009

Ruined Micro SD? by yatesl at 5:21 PM (1,048 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. yatesl
    OP

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It was all working fine before. Whilst messing about with the Acekard, I used the Samsung formatter, and found the card ran faster. All well so far. Then I put the AKAIO Moonshell loader on to my card, without the rest of the Moonshell files, however. Obviously, it didn't work, so I reset my DSi.

Now, though, the DSi won't read the MicroSD card, nor will my laptop (using a MicroSD reader). Anyone know what the problem is here? Did the Loader somehow corrupt it? If so, is there any way to save it?

2. FirstDuke

Newcomer FirstDuke Member

Malaysia
    ur reader is spoil not ur microsd... if ur micro sd really spoil got claim ur warranty, some brand provide life time warranty=)

3. yatesl
    OP

United Kingdom
    If that was the case, the Acekard 2i would read it too. Instead, it's stuck on "Loading".

4. FirstDuke

Newcomer FirstDuke Member

Malaysia
    mayb the very last tiem u copy file the circuit burn, so the file corrupt lead to this prob

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    When you say your laptop won't read it, does that mean it doesn't detect the drive also in device manager/disk management tool, in windows? If not, you could try and force format it, maybe the file system got corrupted.

6. yatesl
    OP

United Kingdom
    The USB adapter acknowledges it (the red light comes on), but nothing shows up in My Computer, Disk Management, or the likes. When I put it in the DSi, it has the blue Loading text. Samsung Formatter doesn't read it either, as the computer doesn't.

It's like I'm just putting a piece of plastic in there.

7. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    This worked for me.
    Try taking your finger and touch all the metal contacts with a single stroke. That should get it to work for you. It is much like "blowing" in your old NES Carts.

8. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    lol I had a card problem today, at first I thought it was an error when formatting then I saw the huge crack all the way down the middle and that it was being held together with the label I put on it

9. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I once had a MicroSD that could not be read at all just as described in the OP and rubbing the metal contacts made it work so I can confirm this may be a solution.

10. yatesl
    OP

United Kingdom
    Still no luck, unfortunately. I'm confused as to how running an NDS file has made it fully unresponsive.

Meh, it might be a blessing in disguise. I'd wanted (well, crossed my mind once or twice) to upgrade from a 2GB to a 4GB anyway at some point - I'm not really a 'hardcore' homebrew user, so I'm not on my DSi/Acekard 2i loads.

Bloody good job I backed up all my saves and whatnot first, or else I'd be rather miffed (well, more so) right now.

11. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    try a chkdisk (repair with /f or even /r ) or Testdisk or at last try to recover with a live linux cd (some tips )

Just to let you know the formatter you use is FAT16 only and works with compatible devices only ( read the specs... avoid vista ) don't use it on any 4Go cards anyway... avoid reformatting a working card... don't use erase neither ... good luck ;-)

Update : Fine... you recover it ... backup is always the best solution ;-)

12. yatesl
    OP

United Kingdom
    Problem solved... I think? After the whole "rub it" idea didn't work, I went one step further and took a deep breath on it, in true polish fashion. That said, I'll be backing up my files a lot more often from now on.

And of course, many thanks to the people who recommended it!

13. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Just a small note though...

I used to deal with a lot of dead SNES's in the old days from where people had blown into the cart slot to clear them out. Sure it works a few times but the problem is that moisture from your breath settles there.
    Eventually the contact corrode or short, Have seen it happen with PS1/2 memory cards too.