Routing Xbox traffic through PC?

TylerHartman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to route the traffic of an original Xbox through my computer without a crossover cable or switch.
The Xbox and computer are both directly connected to my router.
Does anyone know how I could achieve this?

TylerHartman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to run the traffic of my Xbox through a VPN.
I'm running a system link multiplayer server, I need a way for anyone to connect regardless of what equipment they have.

Last edited by TylerHartman,

TylerHartman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to use xlink Kai. I'm making my own system link multiplayer server to replace the shutdown xbconnect. The xbconnect client is closed source and I need a way where everyone can connect regardless of what equipment they have.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's why I need to route all the Xbox traffic through a PC. Then I could set up the VPN on the computer and it would affect the Xbox.

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
You don't need a crossover cable (auto-mdix can be assumed on virtually everything now) and all system link traffic can be sniffed via a simple libpcap filter string : just capture anything broadcasting with the address 0.0.0.1.

Also - what is your 'service' going to provide that kai or the other alternatives don't?

Last edited by barronwaffles,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't want to use xlink Kai. I'm making my own system link multiplayer server to replace the shutdown xbconnect. The xbconnect client is closed source and I need a way where everyone can connect regardless of what equipment they have.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's why I need to route all the Xbox traffic through a PC. Then I could set up the VPN on the computer and it would affect the Xbox.
Considering that it sounds like you're asking how to make your PC act as a gateway for your Xbox so that you can write an Xbox server from scratch instead of using preexisting software that took years to develop, I'm suspecting you don't have the expertise to pull off what you're asking for.

That being said, there should be only two possible ways:

1. Set your Xbox so that your PC's IP address is the DHCP server AND the network gateway - and then set up a server on the PC that can route things accordingly. I don't know if the Xbox allows manual configuration, but if it does that is most likely the best solution
2. Install a custom firmware on your router that selectively redirects outgoing traffic to a local device based on MAC address rules. This maybe works, but it's not a standard feature of any router I'm aware of, and I don't know if DD-WRT and the ilk does it.

If neither of those solutions work, you will need to set up a second NIC on your computer and connect the Xbox directly to it. I have no idea if the rest of the task is possible or not, you might be the better judge of that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"