Misc Router does not support Wii, but does support Wii U?

ThatSprite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hi guys. Let me start off by saying I'm pretty sure I've tried every solution possible by this point. Ensured the connection is working (it's completely fine on Wii U), tried changing the security setting (only WPA2 options worked, one of which does not even support Wii connections).

But I simply cannot get my Wii to connect online. It gives me error code 51330. The router I use is a newish model (Icotera i5851) supplied by my ISP Fibia, hence my suspicion that the Router just doesn't support Wii connections.

This is really frustrating as I wanted to play CTGP online, but I feel like I may be SOL. Does anyone know any way I might be able to get the connection to work with my Wii?

Thank you a ton in advance for your time.

flzmx

pull requested once
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Authentication error.
Try what Nintendo describes to do on their support page.
The Wii U supports more modern protocols than the Wii (or vWii) does, thus why your internet will work on the Wii U but not in the virtual Wii environment.
You'll likely have to edit some router settings. Make sure your router is using WEP, WPA (TKIP and/or AES) or WPA2 (AES). You're probably using WPA2 (TKIP).

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is possible that it may not be compatible with the wii, I've had the same thing with my pc and a Virgin Media router a few years ago.

Kinda thinking out loud here, have you tried switching the frequency from 5g to 2.5g or vice versa?

ThatSprite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Authentication error.
Try what Nintendo describes to do on their support page.
The Wii U supports more modern protocols than the Wii (or vWii) does, thus why your internet will work on the Wii U but not in the virtual Wii environment.
You'll likely have to edit some router settings. Make sure your router is using WEP, WPA (TKIP and/or AES) or WPA2 (AES). You're probably using WPA2 (TKIP).

I've just tried that. It was using WPA2 (AES), which should have been supported. I tried changing it to WEP but still no luck. I tried following the Nintendo article too, but no dice.

It is possible that it may not be compatible with the wii, I've had the same thing with my pc and a Virgin Media router a few years ago.

Kinda thinking out loud here, have you tried switching the frequency from 5g to 2.5g or vice versa?

Not sure how I would go about doing that, couldn't see anything in the router settings about it.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If i remember correctly the wii only supports 2.5ghz but wii u supports both. Your router may only be 5ghz. Does your manual tell you anything like that or even the box?

I assume you know your router settings are accessible by inputing your router ip address into your browser address bar and then logging in? Definitely not trying to be condescending there!

Last edited by Lostbhoy,
D

Deleted User

his router supports both and should support the wii just fine. If I remember correctly you are looking for wpa2 mixed mode. Basically you need a lower security setting on your 2g network settings. Checking your router now hang on

Reactions: Lostbhoy

ThatSprite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
If i remember correctly the wii only supports 2.5ghz but wii u supports both. Your router may only be 5ghz. Does your manual tell you anything like that or even the box?

I assume you know your router settings are accessible by inputing your router ip address into your browser address bar and then logging in? Definitely not trying to be condescending there!

Aye of course, that's where i was changing stuff but I didn't know where to alter the hz.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
You need to use Broadcom based router. If you use Marvell based router, it may not work.

This is easy to determine if you are using DD-WRT.
Go to the web page of your router (such as http://192.168.1.1 ), then scroll down to "Interface". If it says "wl0" or "wl1", you are using Broadcom based router, and it will work very well with your Wii.
If it says "ath0" or "ath1", you are using Marvell based router, and it will most likely fail to connect.

I can't find any documentation on which chip Icotera i5851 uses. You may need to crack open the casing and look at the chip to figure out which is being used.

A much easier way would be to plug in your old, known working router to the Icotera i5851 and set it to AP mode. You can then connect your Wii or Wii U to that known working router.

Last edited by uyjulian,
D

Deleted User

Aye of course, that's where i was changing stuff but I didn't know where to alter the hz.

wow you are really lost this has nothing to do with hertz this is all about the mode and encryption. ok so your router is really a gateway but that doesn't matter. it is basically a modem with wifi built into it. anywho this is from the manual you need to change your encryption level for 2g network and make sure it is not on like ac or n needs to be b/g/n

"Use the Encryption drop-down list to select the type of encryption key and the encryption algorithm used to secure the Wi-Fi transmission between your computer and the i6800.
Available choices are None, WEP-64, WEP-128, WPA TKIP, WPA AES, WPA TKIP-AES, WPA2 TKIP, WPA AES and WPA TKIP-AES. Please note that None leaves the wireless
AP unsecured and open for access from any Wi-Fi device. The recommended encryption type is WPA2"

Most routers have a wpa2 option called mixed mode for older devices yours does not it is calling that mode tkip. So change to wpa2 tkip or wpa tkip wep should also have worked but if not try that in order. make sure your wireless mode is not ac (2g shouldn't might say n this wii will not work 5g) should say Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n

found info here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1582332/Icotera-I6800.html?page=20#manual

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

You need to use Broadcom based router. If you use Qualcomm Atheros based router, it may not work.

This is easy to determine if you are using DD-WRT.
Go to the web page of your router (such as http://192.168.1.1 ), then scroll down to "Interface". If it says "wl0" or "wl1", you are using Broadcom based router, and it will work very well with your Wii.
If it says "ath0" or "ath1", you are using Qualcomm Atheros based router, and it will most likely fail to connect.

I can't find any documentation on which chip Icotera i5851 uses. You may need to crack open the casing and look at the chip to figure out which is being used.

A much easier way would be to plug in your old, known working router to the Icotera i5851 and set it to AP mode. You can then connect your Wii or Wii U to that known working router.

wow that was the funniest thing i ever heard crack open the casing?? wow insano. Brush up on wifi settings. In this case he has old device with newer gateway obvious encryption issue u know ur network device is good cause other devices connect. Might be his antenna in the wii but that about it and HIGHLY doubtful cause it sees the SSID simple logic...thanks for the laugh tho!

ThatSprite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
wow you are really lost this has nothing to do with hertz this is all about the mode and encryption. ok so your router is really a gateway but that doesn't matter. it is basically a modem with wifi built into it. anywho this is from the manual you need to change your encryption level for 2g network and make sure it is not on like ac or n needs to be b/g/n

"Use the Encryption drop-down list to select the type of encryption key and the encryption algorithm used to secure the Wi-Fi transmission between your computer and the i6800.
Available choices are None, WEP-64, WEP-128, WPA TKIP, WPA AES, WPA TKIP-AES, WPA2 TKIP, WPA AES and WPA TKIP-AES. Please note that None leaves the wireless
AP unsecured and open for access from any Wi-Fi device. The recommended encryption type is WPA2"

Most routers have a wpa2 option called mixed mode for older devices yours does not it is calling that mode tkip. So change to wpa2 tkip or wpa tkip wep should also have worked but if not try that in order. make sure your wireless mode is not ac (2g shouldn't might say n this wii will not work 5g) should say Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n

found info here:

You are the BEST! It worked with wpa tkip! Thank you so so much for your time!

D

Deleted User

You are the BEST! It worked with wpa tkip! Thank you so so much for your time!

cool you actually thanked me! now the bad news. Leaves u vulnerable. Someone like me could hack your router. Good news ain't many like me but...i recommend you change to a wired connection when you can and put it back to wpa2 aes. for now have fun!

Reactions: ThatSprite

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The security thing is kinda dumb between systems. I remember how Nintendo DS only used wep security which is now dated for being bad. I ended up buying that nintendo wifi usb connector thing back in the day (Still have it but don't work on modern windows) it was easier to just go to a wifi hotspot like mcdonalds or starbucks if I wanted to play online. Good thing it's portable and wifi otherwise that be a pain to have in your house. WPA2-PSK with AES encryption is supposed to be the best currently (unless I'm wrong) so using WEP would suck. Least we don't have that problem anymore, but the wii u could have least use the 5GHZ instead of staying with 2.4GHZ wifi. :blink:

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i mean at the time WEP was the wireless standard for all routers, you not remember it was wireless B/G then with its shitty 11mbs routers you could get

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
wow that was the funniest thing i ever heard crack open the casing?? wow insano. Brush up on wifi settings. In this case he has old device with newer gateway obvious encryption issue u know ur network device is good cause other devices connect. Might be his antenna in the wii but that about it and HIGHLY doubtful cause it sees the SSID simple logic...thanks for the laugh tho!
In my experience, I tested both Marvell and Broadcom routers. The Broadcom router was Netgear R6300, while the Marvell router was Linksys WRT1900AC. Both routers are running DD-WRT v3.0-r41813 (12/29/19). Both routers have security settings WPA2/WPA TKIP+AES.
I connected my Wii U to my Broadcom-based WRT1900AC. The connection test was successful on the Wii U side, but when I tried to access the Homebrew Channel or CTGP channel, the wireless would not connect.
I connected my Wii U to my Broadcom-based R6300. The connection test was successful on the Wii U side, I could send programs to the Homebrew Channel using wiiload, and I was able to connect online and download updates using the CTGP channel.
I also had another older Broadcom-based router laying around, Netgear WNDR3300, running the same DD-WRT version. The connection was successful on both the Wii and Wii U sides.

I am also having the same issue (won't connect to Marvell based router) with the Wii and DSi, but connecting to my old Broadcom-based router worked perfectly.

Last edited by uyjulian,
D

Deleted User

In my experience, I tested both Qualcomm and Broadcom routers. The Broadcom router was Netgear R6300, while the Qualcomm router was Linksys WRT1900AC. Both routers are running DD-WRT v3.0-r41813 (12/29/19). Both routers have security settings WPA2/WPA TKIP+AES.
I connected my Wii U to my Broadcom-based WRT1900AC. The connection test was successful on the Wii U side, but when I tried to access the Homebrew Channel or CTGP channel, the wireless would not connect.
I connected my Wii U to my Broadcom-based R6300. The connection test was successful on the Wii U side, I could send programs to the Homebrew Channel using wiiload, and I was able to connect online and download updates using the CTGP channel.
I also had another older Broadcom-based router laying around, Netgear WNDR3300, running the same DD-WRT version. The connection was successful on both the Wii and Wii U sides.

I am also having the same issue (won't connect to Qualcomm based router) with the Wii and DSi, but connecting to my old Broadcom-based router worked perfectly.

um you made me laugh and turned out op posted it is resolved. Yes wpa2 aes is strongest and there are levels but basically wpa2 aes and that was the fellow problem his wii was made before that. Crack open the router case? Dude I am still laughing...

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the Qualcomm router was Linksys WRT1900AC
My Wii U connects just fine to this:
upload_2020-3-25_2-50-20.png

Also according to https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT1900AC your router has a Marvell chipset and not an Qualcomm/Atheros one. Marvell is known for drivers full of bugs and even worse, there's no more support so they'll never get fixed:
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/308
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/314
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues

So please stop giving bad advices when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U connects just fine to this:
View attachment 200754

Also according to https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT1900AC your router has a Marvell chipset and not an Qualcomm/Atheros one. Marvell is known for drivers full of bugs and even worse, there's no more support so they'll never get fixed:
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/308
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/314
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues

So please stop giving bad advices when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
I have connection issue, not packet loss or poor latency issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Microsoft is worth 3.2 Trillion according to Google lol