Hacking Rominator for NDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coniu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can't even change the permission. In properties it says it's read-only, I change it to write and when I close the properties window it changes back to read-only.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the input.

I'll make an installer for each platform.

For now,

just make a new folder, copy the 'Rominator for NDS' program into it, and then run it from there. It'll create all of the necessary files. If you want, you can just do a 'Check for Updates' on it and it'll download the latest database (if you don't have it already).

Regards.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I can't even change the permission. In properties it says it's read-only, I change it to write and when I close the properties window it changes back to read-only.

Assuming your using osx or linux: chmod 777 ~/rominator

After a google search, i found this. The NilObjectException error is in fact being caused by the permission problem. Thanks for taking users feedback hankchill
smile.gif

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada

Assuming your using osx or linux: chmod 777 ~/rominator

After a google search, i found this. The NilObjectException error is in fact being caused by the permission problem. Thanks for taking users feedback hankchill
smile.gif

Yes, it has to be a permissions problem, because NilObjectException is because the settings file does not exist, because the program could not create the files due to insufficient privelages.

No worries, hopefully a new release will come tomorrow.

Regards.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, same errors here :

then when I press settings :

After I click OK the prog shuts down

tried on NTFS and FAT32 drives, as admin and luser, full read/write permissions given.

It creates:
CODE27/02/2007 Â18:47 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â.
27/02/2007 Â18:47 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â..
27/02/2007 Â18:47 Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂGames
27/02/2007 Â18:47 Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂTrimmed
27/02/2007 Â18:46 Â Â Â Â Â Â 2,048 boxart.rsd
27/02/2007 Â18:47 Â Â Â Â Â 230,400 ds.rsd
27/02/2007 Â18:46 Â Â Â Â Â Â 5,120 Settings.rsd

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Okay guys, I'd like to apologize for all the errors you are getting; I found the problem!

I accidentally initialized the Settings file falsely, and it was trying to retreive nonexistant data!

The issue has been fixed, and there are more features that I will put online as soon as I get home from work. They include:
• Added the option to view the game icons
• Changed the location of the data -- it's now a member of your User Settings folder, so you don't need to have Rominator in it's own folder -- you can keep it as a standalone app on your desktop!
• Added the option to Download the Icons Database
• Double Clicking on a Rom Name will allow you to change it

There was also a nasty bug with the Safe Trimmer -- I hope nobody used it, you'd get some bad results
tongue.gif
All fixed now!

v1.0.4 is now available at the top of the thread. Go bananas, and please report any bugs in this thread
smile.gif

Regards,
--Henry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks a lot, works good now.

A suggestion though, allow it to scan subdirectories.

I have M:\NDS\ and inside that each game is in the original directory (eg Advance_Wars_Dual_Strike_PROPER_EUR_NDS-FCT, Oto_o_Tsunagou_Gunpey_Reverse_JPN_NDS-LGC etc).

Also zip support is essential (although I see you say that is todo).

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Directory scanning hasn't been a feature that's in demand by anyonem usually they take their games and shove 'em in a folder, and then take it from there. Besides, scanning directories can really slow the program down especially with the way you have it (each individual game in it's own folder), and I don't want to sacrifice any speed
smile.gif

If people want it though, I'll need to see demand for it. It can always be added in as an option.

And with the Zip support, I will probably only support standard Zip. You will have to drag the zip file onto Rominator, it'll extract any roms inside of it and place them in your designated Games folder.

Regards.

EDIT: Allright, to be nice, I added in limited subdirectory scanning. It'll only scan 1 directory deep and only the first rom it comes across. I didn't want to make it too complex and since you said you keep the rom inside of it's original folder, then it'll be perfect for you
smile.gif
Expect it in the next release.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Allrighty, Version 1.0.5 up for the grabbin'.

You know where to get 'er
wink.gif

New in 1.0.5:
• Minor fixes
• Added an option to scan directories inside your games folder -- it will add the first rom it finds inside the directory
• Added a 'Name' button which will allow you to give your games their actual names anytime -- if it exists in the database

Any other suggestions, lemme know
smile.gif

Regards.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks, I just noticed this thread and the program looks pretty neat. On the first post over the download link it still saids 1.0.3. Im sure it's unrelated to the download, but might confuse others. Great work anyhow
smile.gif

cklinh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this program… A LOT…

Here’s a suggestion if you’re looking to add more features… how about having a backup system for the save files? And also, coming up with some way to associate the .sav files with the rom files. So, whenever I delete a rom from the flashcard (but not Rominator), it’ll automatically backup the .sav file. When I choose to add the rom back to the flashcard, the .sav file will be copied over as well…

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I like this program… A LOT…

Here’s a suggestion if you’re looking to add more features… how about having a backup system for the save files? And also, coming up with some way to associate the .sav files with the rom files. So, whenever I delete a rom from the flashcard (but not Rominator), it’ll automatically backup the .sav file. When I choose to add the rom back to the flashcard, the .sav file will be copied over as well…

Excellent suggestion. This will most definitely be added in 1.0.6.

Also in the next release will be a Missing Box Art section. If you have any of the box arts in the list that is missing, then you can send them to me for use in the database -- you'll be credited in the credits section for it too
smile.gif
Just make sure that the boxes have NO watermarks of any kind on them. Just plain, clean covers
smile.gif

Regards.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, congratulations on the fine release, it's getting better and better !
I have one question though: Is it possible to control the way the application renames the roms ?
There were other tools(dedicated to renaming only though) which would allow the user to specify a certain syntax to rename the files, such as %n %m %r and so on, and this was very useful if the user fo rexample didn't want the renamed roms to have numbers or release group or even country code in it.
Is there any way to do that with rominator ?
I am not afraid to dig in cfg or ini files, or even in the register, but maybe there is already an option and I overlooked it ?
Once again thanks for the great work.
Regards

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ok this is now working perfectly under wine. I also submitted a compatability page for this app on the wine website. Congratulations hankchill you can now place an official "runs under linux" sticker on this app.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, congratulations on the fine release, it's getting better and better !
I have one question though: Is it possible to control the way the application renames the roms ?
There were other tools(dedicated to renaming only though) which would allow the user to specify a certain syntax to rename the files, such as %n %m %r and so on, and this was very useful if the user fo rexample didn't want the renamed roms to have numbers or release group or even country code in it.
Is there any way to do that with rominator ?
I am not afraid to dig in cfg or ini files, or even in the register, but maybe there is already an option and I overlooked it ?
Once again thanks for the great work.
Regards

Wait for the next version
smile.gif
Currently there are no renaming options, but in the next release you'll have the option to choose which parts of the game's information you want to include in the title. Reason why I didn't do this sooner is because it's easy to have 2 games of the same name, just different regions. For example: You can have Super Mario 64 DS (U) and Super Mario 64 DS (E), and they would both show as Super Mario 64 DS, which is not what we want. I figured for now it's fine to have just the name and country code
smile.gif
When I add the code for which parts of the name to include, it'll do some checking just to make sure that there's no other games with the same name in the list.

@Azimuth: Huzzah
tongue.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
smile.gif
Currently there are no renaming options, but in the next release you'll have the option to choose which parts of the game's information you want to include in the title. Reason why I didn't do this sooner is because it's easy to have 2 games of the same name, just different regions. For example: You can have Super Mario 64 DS (U) and Super Mario 64 DS (E), and they would both show as Super Mario 64 DS, which is not what we want. I figured for now it's fine to have just the name and country code
smile.gif
When I add the code for which parts of the name to include, it'll do some checking just to make sure that there's no other games with the same name in the list.

tongue.gif

Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about.
In fact, I have a folder on a removable drive with all the original roms with complete name,included release number, region and group.
But when I'm about to transfer any game to a flashcart I just strip it from release number and group, leaving only name and country code, because as you pointed out, that's the minimal effort to tell the difference between files.
Never the less Rominator knows the difference because it can check the internal name, therefore it should tell which one is which with in the application itself.
Theoretically windows should rename each file with the same name with (1) and (2) and so on, in case the user would strip the file name from every other additional informations, but still the user could find out the version of the game by checking the main window in Rominators....if that makes sense....
smile.gif

I guess it would be OK to display every bit of information on the list(also customize that wouldn't be a bad idea), but the user should be able to decide how the files will be renamed on the hard drive.
Anyway I'm glad you're listening !
Thanks
wink.gif

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
smile.gif
smile.gif

tongue.gif

Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about.
In fact, I have a folder on a removable drive with all the original roms with complete name,included release number, region and group.
But when I'm about to transfer any game to a flashcart I just strip it from release number and group, leaving only name and country code, because as you pointed out, that's the minimal effort to tell the difference between files.
Never the less Rominator knows the difference because it can check the internal name, therefore it should tell which one is which with in the application itself.
Theoretically windows should rename each file with the same name with (1) and (2) and so on, in case the user would strip the file name from every other additional informations, but still the user could find out the version of the game by checking the main window in Rominators....if that makes sense....
smile.gif

I guess it would be OK to display every bit of information on the list(also customize that wouldn't be a bad idea), but the user should be able to decide how the files will be renamed on the hard drive.
Anyway I'm glad you're listening !
Thanks
wink.gif

Yes technically all the information could be stripped from the name because yes, Rominator does check the internal name and cartridge code to determine if it's the (U) version, (E) version, (J) version, etc. Just in the listing is where it'll cause duplication because, as mentioned, multiple games with the same name but different regions that have been stripped of everything except their name will clash, and one of them will not rename. What I can do is set priorities for renaming. For example:
If the priority is USA, then if you have:
Super Mario 64 DS (U)
Super Mario 64 DS (E)

And they're both highlighted to be renamed at the same time, it'll rename the (U) version because it is prioritized over the (E) version, so the (E) version would be left as is, so we would have:
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Mario 64 DS (E)

Does this make sense to you?
tongue.gif

As mentioned as well, the names will be customizable in the settings for the next release
smile.gif

And I'm always listening.
ph34r.gif

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway