Hacking Risks When Backing Up NAND?

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello:

With the advice of this forum I've learned that I'm playing with fire if I don't do a NAND backup. I'm a little nervous though for some reason. Everything is working beautifully with SX OS, and I've yet to boot into Hetake. While I do know exactly how to back up the NAND (and realize how simple it is), I am still very nervous for some reason. Hell - I get nervous just booting into SX OS.

Before I proceed, are there any chances of a brick, or any other risks that can occur when booting into Hetake and backing up my NAND? Or am I just a little bitch?

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're just reading data. No risks

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There's virtually no risk, and it's highly recommended that you make a NAND backup before doing anything else. At the very least, backup your BOOT0, BOOT1, and eMMC SYS.

Will do, thanks for the info!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will do, thanks for the info!
You can also backup your eMMC USER, but that's just going to be your games, saves, and other user settings. It's not necessary for brick recovery. Many people don't back it up because it's so big, regardless of how many games you have installed. However, if you don't have a lot of games installed, you can always compress the file to make it smaller.

Backing up your rawnand.bin is just a combination of the eMMC SYS and the eMMC USER.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: mranonymous

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also backup your eMMC USER, but that's just going to be your games, saves, and other user settings. It's not necessary for brick recovery. Many people don't back it up because it's so big, regardless of how many games you have installed. However, if you don't have a lot of games installed, you can always compress the file to make it smaller.

Backing up your rawnand.bin is just a combination of the eMMC SYS and the eMMC USER.

Gotcha, thanks. Yeah I'm going to nix the USER backup, as I'm keeping all of the NSP files of my games on an external HD anyway. Question - is there a way to manually backup only save data from an SD card? Or is the save file combined into the NSP?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha, thanks. Yeah I'm going to nix the USER backup, as I'm keeping all of the NSP files of my games on an external HD anyway. Question - is there a way to manually backup only save data from an SD card? Or is the save file combined into the NSP?
You should use Checkpoint to regularly backup decrypted versions of your important save files.

Reactions: mranonymous

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended