Risks When Backing Up NAND?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by mranonymous, Aug 8, 2018.

1. mranonymous
    OP

mranonymous GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    Hello:

With the advice of this forum I've learned that I'm playing with fire if I don't do a NAND backup. I'm a little nervous though for some reason. Everything is working beautifully with SX OS, and I've yet to boot into Hetake. While I do know exactly how to back up the NAND (and realize how simple it is), I am still very nervous for some reason. Hell - I get nervous just booting into SX OS.

Before I proceed, are there any chances of a brick, or any other risks that can occur when booting into Hetake and backing up my NAND? Or am I just a little bitch?

2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You're just reading data. No risks

Draxzelex, gabe_derp and mranonymous like this.
  3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There's virtually no risk, and it's highly recommended that you make a NAND backup before doing anything else. At the very least, backup your BOOT0, BOOT1, and eMMC SYS.

Draxzelex and mranonymous like this.
  4. mranonymous
    OP

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    Perfect, thanks for the quick reply

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Will do, thanks for the info!

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can also backup your eMMC USER, but that's just going to be your games, saves, and other user settings. It's not necessary for brick recovery. Many people don't back it up because it's so big, regardless of how many games you have installed. However, if you don't have a lot of games installed, you can always compress the file to make it smaller.

Backing up your rawnand.bin is just a combination of the eMMC SYS and the eMMC USER.

Last edited by Lacius, Aug 8, 2018
    mranonymous likes this.
  6. mranonymous
    OP

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    Gotcha, thanks. Yeah I'm going to nix the USER backup, as I'm keeping all of the NSP files of my games on an external HD anyway. Question - is there a way to manually backup only save data from an SD card? Or is the save file combined into the NSP?

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You should use Checkpoint to regularly backup decrypted versions of your important save files.

mranonymous likes this.
  8. mranonymous
    OP

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    Oh great, thanks. I've seen that floating around but never looked into it. Good to know