Misc Risks of Ban due to duplicate Unique ID of my own ROM

Scope2008

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New poster here, I have searched this forum and google for hours looking for a definitive answer, indeed I am unsure if there even is one out there. I didn't want to necro threads from 2014 so I thought seeking the advice of long standing members of this community would be better than driving myself insane reading through even more threads from yesteryear!

First I will pose the question, then offer a bit of background as to why I am asking as I know intent can make all the difference in getting an honest answer.

Q. If I install and play a legitimate dump of a 3DS ROM that I own, by installing as a CIA file on a 3ds running CFW, then the same legitimate cartridge is put into a legit/vanilla 3DS and is played online at the same time - would this result in -

a) a ban of the UniqueID of the cartridge rendering both cartridge and ROM useless
b) a console ban for both the CFW 3DS and the Vanilla 3DS
c) an account ban for both the accounts tied to the CFW 3DS and the account tied to the legitimate 3DS for running the same cart.
d) a mix of all of the above?

As stated, some of the threads I read dated back to 2014 where it was suggested that running 2 of the same unique ID roms/carts at the same time could red flag the evil corporate overlords in the mothership to get out the banhammer.

I also have no desire to meddle with cheats as my hope is to catch legitimate pokemon.

If you are interested in knowing how I am coming to ask this question then see below, otherwise thank you for your responses in advance.

Why am I asking this question?

Basically my 7 year old son has fallen down the pokemon retro-rabbit hole and really has made it his quest to "catch 'em all"™

He already has a completely legitimate unmodified switch, with Sword and Shield and really wants to start catching those Solgaleo, Necrozma, Lugia and all those legendary pokemon he is missing and transfer it all to his switch games via pokemon bank/home.
So as the ever dutiful dad I have bought him a pre-owned 'New 3DSXL' and a physical copy of every pokemon game from the 3DS generation as I know full well that the 3ds is at the end of its life cycle and the store could go offline in the not too distant future.

As a massive gamer who has missed every generation of Pokemon since Gen I, I bought myself a pre-owned 3DS XL also and my initial plan was to just share cartridges - while he plays Ultra Sun, I will play Ultra Moon.
The initial idea being that when we swap carts we will have our own savegames on our own 3DS consoles so we don't mess up each others progress (we do this right now in our household with individual switch profiles...)

However, I didn't foresee that the 3DS cartridges would be the default place for the savegames like it was still 1999 and the 3DS doesn't have an SD card included by default where it could save my progress.

First I looked for a way of making the game default its saves to the 3DS instead of the cart but when I realized that couldn't be done without a digital copy of the game this has led me, ironically to what might be considered "shady means", just so that we don't mess up each others progress on a game I legitimately own. Buying every game AGAIN physically is unjustifiable just to have my own savegame files.

So I installed the Rosalina V2.2.0 CFW on my 3DS, have dumped a CIA of the first game then during my research I saw that uniqueID's of carts may well give us a ban if I am playing the game and he shoves the physical cart in without telling me... I cant sit down and explain this to a 7 year old because he just wont get it! :(

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by Scope2008,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First I looked for a way of making the game default its saves to the 3DS instead of the cart but when I realized that couldn't be done without a digital copy of the game
There are save game managers that can be used to dump the save data to the SD card and then write it back to the cartridge afterwards. You don't even have to do a full CFW install to use them.

So I installed the Rosalina V2.2.0 CFW on my 3DS
You should probably get your terminology right. Luma is the CFW; Rosalina is a menu that is accessed after you install Luma.

PalindromicBreadLoaf

Just a duck floating in a pond.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could always just delete your Wifi conifg on 3DS, or disable Wifi in the Rosalina menu. Then it can't tell anyone what you're playing. However, I doubt you'd get a ban anyways. Ninty really doesn't care about the 3DS online anymore.

Scope2008

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are save game managers that can be used to dump the save data to the SD card and then write it back to the cartridge afterwards. You don't even have to do a full CFW install to use them.

Which is an inconvenient solution.

The only official save game manager I could find in the eShop was a program which took the savefile off the cart for use with a digital copy of the game. It warned that it couldnt be put back on the cart - either way I would have needed a digital copy of the game to then re-use it.

You should probably get your terminology right. Luma is the CFW; Rosalina is a menu that is accessed after you install Luma.

I only installed this on Thursday, it's new to me Rosalina was the only name I remembered. Either way you knew what I was talking about.

You could always just delete your Wifi conifg on 3DS, or disable Wifi in the Rosalina menu. Then it can't tell anyone what you're playing. However, I doubt you'd get a ban anyways. Ninty really doesn't care about the 3DS online anymore.

I was thinking about this, can pokemon trading be done via the IR on the 3DS? if so this is probably the safest bet.

I was also wondering if any traded pokemon that are then transferred into bank/home would be completely laundered? I.e. so long as they aren't modified illegally then they wont flag ninty to an issue because of where they originated?

Last edited by Scope2008,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only official save game manager I could find in the eShop was a program which took the savefile off the cart for use with a digital copy of the game.
But of course! Nintendo wouldn't let you do this stuff officially. You need an unofficial save game manager – namely JKSM or Checkpoint.

Scope2008

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But of course! Nintendo wouldn't let you do this stuff officially. You need an unofficial save game manager – namely JKSM or Checkpoint.

Looking at the installed apps that the Luma tutorial gave me it seems I do already have Checkpoint.

Thank you this might be the solution if I cant find a definitive answer on the original question.

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your research of cia game backups having "uniqueID" of game carts is a bit outdated.

The correct term would be a game cartridge's "private header", which is only applicable to the .3ds backup format for 3DS backup flash cartridges (Gateway, Stargate etc.).

eshop cia's or own game cart cia dumps do not have such a thing.

The only thing you need to look out for is to not play on the same save file online as you'll have the same player id and pokemon. It should be fine if you just start playing the game with a new save file.

Last edited by Pado,
Reactions: Scope2008

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1