Kuschel-Drow

OP
Trophies
Website
kuschel-drow.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Although I own Asphalt 3D I thought that I couldn't do something wrong with a good old arcade racer. Just driving my laps without any complicated stuff on the go...

Well... I'm impressed by the designs of the courses. They look really nice, and compared to Asphalt it is way easier to win the first place buuut....

Whoever thought about the controls must have been drunk or something!
Yeah you have 8 different button settings to choose from, but they really made it happen that EACH of them sucks!

You can't complete a single Grand Prix without getting real cramps in your hands.

Either you can't use the break without stretching your fingers like hell, or you have a real time to use some nitro.. Especially triple nitro.

Anyone else out there who REALLY hates the controls?
(And why does this one lack Wi-Fi too?
frown.gif
)

They game could be a lot better if you could design the button layout for yourself. I hate crampy hands... :X

And well... there's only one track of all the music that hits my taste just a little... Okay, I can still turn it off but still...

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I haven't played it yet, but I have seen reviews for both games (Asphalt 3D), and I must say, Asphalt 3D looks terrible.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have have any problems with Ridge Racer using the default control setup. I almost never use the break, just let go of gas and reapply to drift. Nitro setup is fine using the shoulder buttons as well. My only problem is that the 3D is way too intense with the slider at max for me, while other games like Lego Star Wars and Rayman are fine on my eyes with max 3D.

As for the hand cramping, I think it just depends on the size of your hands in relation to the 3DS. No matter what game I play, I end up getting cramps in my left thumb joint from using the circle pad. Nothing I can do about it.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have any issue with the controls. The lack of wi-fi is a bit pants-on-head-retarded, but I suspect it was axed to meet the launch date. Never mind. Mario Kart will be along shortly to make all other 3DS racers entirely obselete.

Actually I do have one other issue with the game. Can you disable that girl who keeps talking at you mid-race? I KNOW I'm in someone's slipstream. I don't need to be told. I'm not stupid. Please tell me how to shut her up.

MAIcrosoft

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.unseen64.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering when someone finally was gonna make a topic about RR
tongue.gif
I'm a big fan of RR, and have been since the original RR. Let me explain some stuff...

Kuschel-Drow said:
Well... I'm impressed by the designs of the courses. They look really nice, and compared to Asphalt it is way easier to win the first place buuut.....

Yep! The courses are allways nice in RR! You can compare those courses to a rollercoaster ride
tongue.gif
Next to that, winning is very easy in the Beginners GP except for the last few races. After that it will be harder and harder, but I must say (and I think other RR fans also agree with me), that the overall difficulty in this one is lower than we have seen before. Doesn't mean that RR fans, can't enjoy the game, the difficulty is still pretty high if you advance, I've got like 3/4 that took me a day of trial and error or longer to become 1st
tongue.gif

Kuschel-Drow said:
Whoever thought about the controls must have been drunk or something!

That's just how RR works. Controls have allways been like this
tongue.gif
You'll get used to it, try to stick with "standard" drift cars in the beginning to get used to them. Also I'm much more precise with the D-pad than the circle pad.

Kuschel-Drow said:
Yeah you have 8 different button settings to choose from, but they really made it happen that EACH of them sucks! You can't complete a single Grand Prix without getting real cramps in your hands. Either you can't use the break without stretching your fingers like hell, or you have a real time to use some nitro.. Especially triple nitro.

Go for the default button config. B = Accellerate, L + R for Nitro. You won't need the break or any other buttons. If you get "the feel" of how the game works, you'll be drifting trough corners with 400+ km/h, believe me
tongue.gif
Don't use Triple Nitro too much during GP, only if you have to pass someone at the end to win the race, or in Time Trials. You wont get past a certain position in every GP race in a certain lap, no matter how fast you go (You still have to do your best to keep up though
tongue.gif
) and you can better safe your nitro for short traight lanes and the finish.

Kuschel-Drow said:
(And why does this one lack Wi-Fi too? )

Yup! It kinda sucks. Despite this being an awesome game and all, I have completed the game for 100% already (Got 1st place in all GP races). If it had online play it's replay value would be much higher.

Kuschel-Drow
They game could be a lot better if you could design the button layout for yourself. I hate crampy hands... :X

You'll get used to it
tongue.gif

Kuschel-Drow
And well... there's only one track of all the music that hits my taste just a little... Okay, I can still turn it off but still...

You may believe it or not, but RR music is for 99% made by Japanese
tongue.gif
It's an habbit in Japanese games for them to use in-house originals rather than licensed tracks. You have to like the style though.

I hope I have cleared up stuff
tongue.gif
Also hope there are other RR fans around here
smile.gif

Ilive2frag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a brake in Ridge Racer? Seriously though this game is all about drifting by letting off the gas then going back on. Like others have said the standard drift setup is the best, I found dynamic to be way to unwieldy.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Blaze163 said:
I don't have any issue with the controls. The lack of wi-fi is a bit pants-on-head-retarded, but I suspect it was axed to meet the launch date. Never mind. Mario Kart will be along shortly to make all other 3DS racers entirely obselete.

Actually I do have one other issue with the game. Can you disable that girl who keeps talking at you mid-race? I KNOW I'm in someone's slipstream. I don't need to be told. I'm not stupid. Please tell me how to shut her up.
Options and then lower as much as possible the voice volume, I think that does the trick.

As for the controls, I'm using configuration C where acceleration is mapped to R. I went from hating Ridge Racer 3D to loving it when I changed the controls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: On a phone of course