Gaming Revo K101. Problems with loading saved games.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely not ideal. What are the odds that the K-Team releases source code so some enterprising hacker can bust it open and write something that works? Probably nil, but hopefully the team is just on holiday and will eventually get back to development.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the k-team made the SoC and sold it to anyone who wanted to buy it. the k1 gba sp and k101 revo are from maxzhou88 and marketed by ruilong. maxzhou88 made the original designs and is the sole individual behind the firmware. you would be asking him to release the sources and not the k-team.

http://gbatemp.net/members/maxzhou88.298075/

backing up your saves nightly isn't even an ideal solution. you could play for 8 hours that day and when you power off the unit that save gets corrupted. this scenario got me thinking. is the unit corrupting the last save in dram? this appears to be the situation as the last game played loses it save but others saves remain. so perhaps the solution is to dump the save, go back to the file menu, pick a new game, save, dump that save, and then power off. that way the save that gets corrupted would be that new game, and that file could be a throw away game or a homebrew.

-another world

alexei_gp

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the k-team made the SoC and sold it to anyone who wanted to buy it. the k1 gba sp and k101 revo are from maxhou88 and marketed by ruilong. maxhou88 made the original designs and is the sole individual behind the firmware. you would be asking him to release the sources and not the k-team.

backing up your saves nightly isn't even an ideal solution. you could play for 8 hours that day and when you power off the unit that save gets corrupted. this scenario got me thinking. is the unit corrupting the last save in dram? this appears to be the situation as the last game played loses it save but others saves remain. so perhaps the solution is to dump the save, go back to the file menu, pick a new game, save, dump that save, and then power off. that way the save that gets corrupted would be that new game, and that file could be a throw away game or a homebrew.

-another world

The problem with maxzhou88,he doesnt have a proper e-mail or a contact info.The only way to contact maxzhou88 is to sign to his blog and contact him,but the page of his blog its all in chinese... its difficult to sign in.If only we have a chinese gbtemper here he could send him the message to maxhou88 to release the revo k101 source code.This the page of his blog:http://hi.baidu.com/maxzhou88 edit: i see you are posting his member account here in gbatemp its useless he doesnt respond to my messages.Maxhou88 reply more actively in his blog..

Django999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the k-team made the SoC and sold it to anyone who wanted to buy it. the k1 gba sp and k101 revo are from maxzhou88 and marketed by ruilong. maxzhou88 made the original designs and is the sole individual behind the firmware. you would be asking him to release the sources and not the k-team.

http://gbatemp.net/members/maxzhou88.298075/

-another world

I am going to try that out when I get my unit. Not ideal either, but it might work. If the problem is SOLELY the last made save. Then it would make sense to launch another program shortly after playing one. Can you charge and play the revo at the same time?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
you should be able to charge and play at the same time. the 1st run of units had soldering issues. i can not charge and play the review unit at the same time. if i try to do so random buttons get pressed, menus popup, etc. we were told that it was caused by extra flux and that opening and cleaning the unit would fix it. i just never cared enough because after the save issue popped up i shelved the revo and stopped using it.

-another world

Django999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should be able to charge and play at the same time. the 1st run of units had soldering issues. i can not charge and play the review unit at the same time. if i try to do so random buttons get pressed, menus popup, etc. we were told that it was caused by extra flux and that opening and cleaning the unit would fix it. i just never cared enough because after the save issue popped up i shelved the revo and stopped using it.

-another world

Well hopefully doint all the button presses for dumping the save and going to the main menu will work. I will start up another game and save it just to be on the safe side. I really hope the save issue gets fixed though. No one should live in fear of their gameboy.

VanFanel1980mx

Storm Trooper
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, I lost another save after dumping it, exiting the rom and then re-entering to check it, I didn't load the save per se and then turned off, I hope someone makes a firmware update, it would be nice to also have the scaling as a default option.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know what type of .sav files this thing creates? I'd like to move all my savs to my android device and just play it that way until it gets an update or something.

VanFanel1980mx

Storm Trooper
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Anyone know what type of .sav files this thing creates? I'd like to move all my savs to my android device and just play it that way until it gets an update or something.
They are not compatible with emulators, you have to actually convert them from emulator compatible to K1 compatible.

Django999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so does this save issue exist with GBC games? Will I have to use the same process when trying to save Metal Gear or Resident Evil gbc?

lordgoober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dunno. all I know is that I've copied saves in k1 format over to the vba folder and they open just fine and then save to standard size for the game.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried to save the game which ever way is best
and dump each way but instead of powering it off remove
the card then power off and reinsert? It can't overwrite
what it can't find. Mine is on its way I just haven't seen
anyone try this yet.

Please post results if you test.
Hopefully it will help.

alexei_gp

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Has anyone tried to save the game which ever way is best
and dump each way but instead of powering it off remove
the card then power off and reinsert? It can't overwrite
what it can't find. Mine is on its way I just haven't seen
anyone try this yet.

Please post results if you test.
Hopefully it will help.

I have 2 revo k101 and your suggestion its not good if i do as you say i will damage the revo....Sorry i am not going to be a guinea pig.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does removing the cart damage it? It doesn't hurt any other system made
to date that I have knowledge of? Just freezes at the loss of currently running
media. Mine should be here in a couple days so I can try it if no one else will.
Does it have some kind of pins that secure the cartridge while its in use?
If not then no damage seems possible. I mean no offense but it should
be like opening the disc tray on a ps1 while playing a game or removing
the cartridge from n64 while playing etc. Systems just freeze until the
system is turned off media is reintroduced and power is switched back on.

Just trying to help resolve this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny