Gaming Revo K101. Problems with loading saved games.

Xuio

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So this SRAM patching is NOT a valid solution to this problem :(

Another World, maybe you should update your revo review, because this auto-save-delete is major issue and everybody should know about it.

alexei_gp

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Again sram patching its useless for now.On my revo i get the save issue playing doom and yoshi island both games patched with srram using gba tool advance.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Since it doesn't seem to be SRAM patch related, perhaps we should do a bit of troubleshooting and create collection of info on the issue. May make things clearer for the person creating the firmware, and perhaps assist in tracking down the root cause:

Eg (for a start):
  • When does the issue occur:
    • When you play game A, shut down then load game A again.
    • When you play game A, play some other games, then play game A again
    • Both?
  • Does the corruption ever occur when the game affected hasn't been played since the file was OK? Eg: You have games 1-10 on there. You play them all which creates save files, and you see all the files have the expected size. You then play only games 1 and 2, but notice at some point that a save file for game 3-10 is corrupt (despite it never have being loaded since the file was fine)?
  • Do multiple save files ever become corrupted at once or just the one?
  • Does the issue occur after soft resetting back to the main menu from the game, after shutting down the game with the power button and powering back on, or both?
  • Have other files on the card ever been corrupted (ROMs or anything else on there)?
  • Does the save file name ever change/become corrupt? Or is it just the data stored within it that is corrupted?
  • When a save becomes corrupted, is its size always 0KB? Is the file ever actually deleted or still the expected size, but non functional?
Just a thought.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Another World, maybe you should update your revo review, because this auto-save-delete is major issue and everybody should know about it.

i've been considering doing just that for the past 2 weeks. if they don't get it figured out soon i'll add something to the introduction about the problem.

-another world

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Below are the pictures showing we saved games well for game" Super Mario Advance 3 – Yoshi’s Island". Check the pictures as below:

game-saved-Revo-k101-1.jpg

game-saved-Revo-k101-2.jpg

game-saved-Revo-k101-3.jpg

game-saved-Revo-k101-4.jpg

game-saved-Revo-k101-5.jpg

game-saved-Revo-k101-6.jpg

SpikeSpiegel03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes ruilong, i can do the same pictures.
The problem isn't here, savestates works. But sometimes they are erased, with no reason!
So many peoples have the same issue, so we can say it's a real problem (critical). Hope we can find a way out!

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes ruilong, i can do the same pictures.
The problem isn't here, savestates works. But sometimes they are erased, with no reason!
So many peoples have the same issue, so we can say it's a real problem (critical). Hope we can find a way out!

What do you mean of "But sometimes they are erased, with no reason!". You mean you can save the game but the save file gone when you turn on the device the next day?

How many times this happen? Can I understand when you save the games now but when you turn on the K101. And you find nothing there while coming to play from what you saved? How often this happen? How many games you find have these problem?

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
Ruilong, yes, that seems to be the case for me.
I tried two different games and this randomly occurred. (Pokemon emerald and Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls).

(I've said it before, Page 3)

Xuio

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You mean you can save the game but the save file gone when you turn on the device the next day?

YES ruilong! For example - I've played Metroid Zero Mission (USA) yesterday and game saved just fine (in slot A), but today i've launched this game, and every save-slot was empty, like i've never saved in this game.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
One person reported that the file exists but has a size is 0KB after the issue occurs, but others are saying 'deleted' without clarifying exactly what they mean by that.
It could be taken to mean that functionally the save is gone (doesnt load, but the file is still on the card) or that the file is really deleted and no longer on the card.

It's much easier for them to investigate if the details of the issue are stated clearly and accurately, could those affected confirm?

Xuio

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
One person reported that the file exists but has a size is 0KB after the issue occurs, but others are saying 'deleted' without clarifying exactly what they mean by that.

It's much easier for them to investigate if the details of the issue are stated clearly and accurately, could those affected confirm?

My metroid save file is still 136kb large, but it's like fresh new (so it's seems like revo made new save file ontop the old one, erasing any game's progress).

Xuio

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok, i've done some testing. My revo was on low battery (red led), i've used Metroid Zero Mission (USA) on kingston class 4 microSD (provided with device).

Test A
1. I've run a game, made a save, in the first slot (A), just after you got morph ball and...
2. Turn revo off with power button
3. Turn revo on
4. Loaded Metroid Z. again
5. Save slot - EMPTY
6. Checked save file on my PC: save file 139kb

Test B
1. I've run a game, made a save, in the first slot (A), just after you got morph ball and...
2. Used shortcut for saving: * + START
3. Turn revo on
5. Save slot - OK, save was there, like it should be
6. Turn revo off with power button
7. Turn revo on
8. Loaded Metroid Z. again
9. Save slot - EMPTY
10. Checked save file on my PC: save file 139kb

Test C
3. Turn revo on
6. Used shortcut for saving: * + START
7. Turn revo off with power button
8. Turn revo on
9. Loaded Metroid Z. again
10. Save slot - OK, save was there, like it should be
11. Used shortcut for saving: * + START
12. Turn revo off with power button
13. Turn revo on
14. Loaded Metroid Z. again
15. Save slot - OK, save was there, like it should be

See a pattern here? When i was saving with shortcut *+START and then, turn revo off - save would be ok. I've done it few times, with same results.

Reactions: Count Duckula

SpikeSpiegel03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With previous firmware, i allready lost my savestates with * + START method.
So, it's seems something has been corrected with the new firmware.
But it is not normal to loose all datas if you just load game and exit without saving. Also not normal to loose all savestates for all games, because when problem occurs all savestates are corrupted.
Thanks xuio for your tests.

alexei_gp

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok, i've done some testing. My revo was on low battery (red led), i've used Metroid Zero Mission (USA) on kingston class 4 microSD (provided with device).

Test A
3. Turn revo on
5. Save slot - EMPTY
6. Checked save file on my PC: save file 139kb

Test B
3. Turn revo on
6. Turn revo off with power button
7. Turn revo on
8. Loaded Metroid Z. again
9. Save slot - EMPTY
10. Checked save file on my PC: save file 139kb

Test C
3. Turn revo on
6. Used shortcut for saving: * + START
7. Turn revo off with power button
8. Turn revo on
9. Loaded Metroid Z. again
10. Save slot - OK, save was there, like it should be
11. Used shortcut for saving: * + START
12. Turn revo off with power button
13. Turn revo on
14. Loaded Metroid Z. again
15. Save slot - OK, save was there, like it should be

See a pattern here? When i was saving with shortcut *+START and then, turn revo off - save would be ok. I've done it few times, with same results.

I m agreed with you post even if the revo has full or low battery the saves are deleted.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean of "But sometimes they are erased, with no reason!". You mean you can save the game but the save file gone when you turn on the device the next day?

How many times this happen? Can I understand when you save the games now but when you turn on the K101. And you find nothing there while coming to play from what you saved? How often this happen? How many games you find have these problem?
I a question will there be an app added to the soc that repairs Roms and save files that are corrupted in the next firmware update?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
But it is not normal to loose all datas if you just load game and exit without saving

that is the problem i am having. when i just shut it down (didn't save for whatever reason), the saves can go missing on the next bootup. that is not normal behavior at all. it points to something with the save writing. perhaps the saves are open for writing the entire time?

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and I used neither my phone or my pc today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was out for most of the afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall...