Review Review - New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volsfan91

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
headerbf7.png

-NOW REVIEWING-
newsmbboxthumbaq8.jpg

-INTRODUCTION-
One of the most recent games in the classic side-scrolling Mario series, New Super Mario Brothers brought with it a lot of expectations, hopes and nostalgia at the time of its launch. However, would the promise of the deliver, or would gamers find it to be a three dimensionized version of the classic Mario games?

-GAMEPLAY-
In response to the question I proposed at the end of the introduction, the correct answer is both.

When you pick up a Mario game, you want that wow factor. Why? Because we expect so much out of nostalgia. We want it to be just like our favorite classic games, but at the same time we want it to add some new twists and additions that will make the game hold a special place in our heart, as did their predecessors. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that when a game like this one comes out, we expect a mix of new and old, so that our passion for the premise of the series is satisfied, while still adding something new.

So did it disappoint or fulfill? It seems to depend on who you ask.

The gameplay offers virtually nothing new. Sure, it adds some new gimmicky power ups. And there are stars to collect. But seriously, how much does this offer in the gameplay department? Anyone can create a side-scroller. The original Mario game grabbed everyone's attention because it pulled off this side-scrolling style so well. Nowadays, when just about anyone in their basement can snag a developer's kit for sub $10,000, a lot is expected of the Mario series to add something new. Otherwise, with the exception of the prestigious name that the game carries with it, there is nothing to set it apart.

i7378qv7.jpg

Let me say something else: the gameplay of the original held few flaws. Some subscribe to the theory that if something isn't broken, then there are few reasons to fix it. In a day in age when so many games are based on the same basic idea, games need fresh ideas to set them apart, in my opinion. What we get down to is this: does New Super Mario Brothers offer a lot new?

If there's one thing I'll give this game, it's this: the levels are great. However, it seems that I cannot discuss this without bringing something else up: the length of this game leaves a lot to be desired. I have known people that finish this game in one sitting. Do I really want to spend $30 on a game only for it to last me under a week, even on my limited gaming time?

Maybe I'm over critical. There are lots of good things that this game has. It's just that its flaws stick out like sore thumbs to me. Make no mistake- if you're a Mario fan, the gameplay of New Super Mario Brothers won't disappoint.

Rating: 8/10

-GRAPHICS-
I really like the graphics of this game. Maybe it's my inner nostalgia that's screaming at me, but there's something great about seeing a game that debuted in the 1980's being transformed into pseudo-3D. Some of the special effects are really neat to watch, as well. I especially like the huge mushroom power up that transforms Mario into the size of a full LCD screen. The graphics effects on that powerup is awesome.

supermariobrosds4dm6.jpg

The enemies look really sharp, as well. I really like the Koopa enemies that collapse on their shells when you jump on them

Again, I absolutely love the whole concept of having something classic and 8-bit transformed into modern terms.

Rating: 10/10

-SOUND-

Again, there is a nostalgia feature in terms of sound. The classic Mario ditties are all in there, so that never disappoints. Each of the classic Mario tunes are also kind of “techno” updated to fit more modern music standards. It's really quite impressive and exciting to hear that classic doo-doo-doo Mario theme in a whole new sound style the first time you play the game.

Charles Martinet does the usual voices for some of the characters, although tradition holds true in the (extremely) conservative use in terms of voice acting. The sound effects for each character is entertaining, and overall, the sound adds a lot to the game, unlike other games.

Rating: 9/10

-REPLAY VALUE-

As I said earlier, the length of the game will bother quite a few people, myself included. There are special options to play the game in mirror mode, as well as playing through the game as Luigi. Are these worth another play through? I don't think so. Aside from a few inches of height, Luigi offers no new twists.

The included mini-games are awesome! Whether it's two player or playing solo, anyone who played Super Mario 64 DS will know how enjoyable these games are. They are the saving grace for the replay value department.

Rating: 8/10

-WRAPPING UP-

While New Super Mario Brothers didn't necessarily fulfill what I had expected for the game, it was an enjoyable experience while it lasted. Some new graphic effects, sharp sound effects, and some great levels were fun for awhile. Hardcore Mario fans should apply, while casual gamers may be disappointed by something left off from their original beloved Mario.

Final Mathematical Score: 86/100

Mathematical explanation:
Each category is given a mathematical weight, so that each category matters more than others. Obviously, gameplay is more important than sound. Also, I plan on eventually revising the weights, but here goes the current scale:

Gameplay: Weight of 4 (times score)
Graphics: Weight of 2 (times score)
Sound: Weight of 2 (times score)
Replay Value: Weight of 2 (times score)

So, the score for this game is like this:
Gameplay: 4x(8)
Graphics: 2x(10)
Sound: 2x(9)
Replay Value: 2x(8)

Add them all up, and you get... 86/100

This has been a Volsfan91 review of Share your thoughts, comments, or opinions through private message if you so choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc