d8thstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi all,

new to the boards here, please be gentle. i got this site from a post i made over at the wode site, they suggested i stop in.

i recently softmodded my wii to try out the new wode channel beta. everything is working and i didn't brick my machine. that said, something is wrong.

i just picked up a retail copy of racquet games and it comes with a motion sensing camera. when i try to update the wii, for the camera driver, it fails. i've also tried re-softmodding the wii by downgrading to IOS15 and patching again but everything is failing; even trying to install a wad with wad manager fails.

so my question is, is it possible to UN softmod a wii? once the wode channel gets out of beta, i'd like to install that and get my wii back to a non softmodded state.

is it possible? thanks for reading.z

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Really helpfull, wes11ph. Can't you guess what his next question's going to be?
rolleyes.gif

@d8thstar: what you're looking for is a way to "revirginize" your wii. Follow this link for further info.

I must warn you, though. The 4.2 update for the wii is know to screw up wii's. I don't know which guide you followed to softmod it, but it could be that it contains setting that prevents updates (iirc, priiloader has such a setting). Disc updates are seldom required, though.

Also: "downgrading to IOS15" is probably not right. You see, a wii has multiple IOS'es, each with their own version number. I don't know IOS15, but it's not a crucial one (well...perhaps for running racquet games...but not for the wii system menu). It's probably better to look for the most updated version of that IOS instead. Dop-mii is a program that allows you to see which version of each IOS you have, and (usually) offers a way to update it from the internet. It may be more stable than the wad you've been using.
smile.gif

vegemikee

Trophies
XP
Country
ios15 is downgraded to enable trucha and nand permission patching to ios36. OP, could you give us the steps and actions youre doing specifically and the errors youre getting? and what messages are popping up that are stopping you from doing whatever youre doing now?

d8thstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi all,

sorry i was away so long, i appreciate any assistance. now that the wode channel is out of beta, i'd really like to revirginize my wii but am fearful of doing so if my system isn't correct.

i have tried this guide to repair any issues:

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha...-guide/updating

thing is, as soon as i try to load the first wad (with wadmanager 1.6), i get an "error -1012" code. in fact, any wad i try to install at this point, i get that error.

i was sent this guide to virginize the wii:

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/virgin

my question now would be, is it safe to try the virgin guide with the error -1012 i am getting or should i try and repair my issues first?

thank you all for your time

d8thstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried starting over, uninstalled HBC and DVDx. i then tried reinstalling both and am getting a "failed (-1040001012)" error. now i dont have the HBC on my wii and can't install it so i'm at a loss on how to even try any further fixing since i can't run anything from the HBC.

should i just try uninstalling my wode and doing a nintendo wifi update? maybe that will "restore" my system?

d8thstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i may be new to the wii modding scene but i've been modding systems for over 15 years so i'm not completely blind
smile.gif

i've made contact with a very respectful modder from another board who walked me thru the soft modding process; he is now officially stumped also.

i have uninstalled my wode and tried an official nintendo update and nintendo is giving me an error (error code that nintendo server is unavailable, which, i know isnt true). before detaching the wode, i uninstalled HBC and DVDx so i could try reinstalling them, no luck.

now, without the wode attached, i am still getting a 1040001012 error when trying to install HBC and DVDx.

the system works, it plays games, with the wode attached i am able to load games off my usb hd. so i'm a bit at loss as to what to try next, should anyone want to help out (PM is fine if you want). to recap:

1. system and wode work
2. can not install HBC after uninstall (before uninstall, was getting error -1012 when trying to install wads)
3. official nintendo update gives me an error

i would love to just remove all softmodding at this point. will erasing the system memory restore it to factory defaults?

any help is appreciated.

d8thstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2. can not install HBC after uninstall (before uninstall, was getting error -1012 when trying to install wads)
Usually point to an untrucha patched IOS
thanks. was aware of that, wondering if there is a way to fix it

Who knows, maybe your wii is not connected to your network. Either way you did something wrong
i know, and, it is connected. how presumptuous of you that i did something wrong, when, like i said before, i followed the directions of a respected softmodder to the letter.

i would love to just remove all softmodding at this point. will erasing the system memory restore it to factory defaults?
You are an idiot if you want to do that
i'm an idiot because i choose to use my wii differently than you do?

any help is appreciated.
Search. Get a clue.
i did search, and i did hours of research before even considering this. i had a softmodder (one who was actually helpful, unlike...) walk me thru the process and now he's at a loss as to what could have happened.

he suggested i come over to these boards because the folks on here are really helpful, i'm going to assume he didn't mean you.

if anyone else on here has any ideas, i would certainly appreciate it. again, HBC is no longer on the system, would love to virginize my wii if possible

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If you factory default it, it'll remove all your saves, channels, et al.
You WILL have it restored to default, but any IOS errors present (ie missing or corrupt IOSes) will still be there.

I really recommend against it, your best bet would be to find out what's wrong, and work from there.
Are you able to install ANY IOSes? If so, try using NUS Downloader Automatic to download the latest (non stub, make sure they're absolutely NOT stub) IOSes, then install them with WAD manager. That may help. You could also try (note this is very risky and I absolutely recommend against it unless you have BootMii installed as Boot2 so you can create a NAND backup which you'll be able to restore) installing another copy of the system menu you are currently running.

d8thstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toejam316 said:
If you factory default it, it'll remove all your saves, channels, et al.
You WILL have it restored to default, but any IOS errors present (ie missing or corrupt IOSes) will still be there.

thanks a lot toejam! i wouldn't mind losing all my saves/channels if it would make it factory default but as you mention, missing or corrupt IOSes will still be there and i really think that is whats wrong here.

toejam316 said:
your best bet would be to find out what's wrong, and work from there.
Are you able to install ANY IOSes? If so, try using NUS Downloader Automatic to download the latest (non stub, make sure they're absolutely NOT stub) IOSes, then install them with WAD manager. That may help.

right now, i can't install any IOSes. i did use NUS and have all of the non stub files for 4.2U. unfortunately, i get an error when trying to install ANY wad files.

QUOTE(toejam316 @ Mar 16 2010, 05:47 AM)
You could also try (note this is very risky and I absolutely recommend against it unless you have BootMii installed as Boot2 so you can create a NAND backup which you'll be able to restore) installing another copy of the system menu you are currently running.

i DO have bootmii installed as boot2. i did create a NAND back up for my PC so i could use in the dolphin emulator so i have that taken care of. the modder who has been helping me has gone off to bed. if you have any insight as to how to install another copy of 4.2U (what i am currently running, i'm all ears.

thank you so much for responding, i do appreciate it.

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK? Why did you remove the Homebrew Channel?
You don't get banned...Gives more functionality to the wii and removing it takes away alot of functionality the wii should have at the beggining...
If your that desperate just restore your wii from the nand you have on your computer....thats alll..

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Okay, what'd be helpful would be if you could run IOSCheck and give us the information it prints out - what IOSes you have installed, what IOSes have what exploits, et al, and it'd make a useful starting point for working out what else could be wrong.

d8thstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys,

thanks so much for the help. i went ahead and restored my nand from the back up i made and can run the non beta wode channel from HBC! after the restore, the sytem is behaving properly, i was able to run an update via wifi and installed the camera driver without a hitch.

the only thing i lost was the wode and eject channels; i have to launch wode channel thru HBC now, as i mentioned. i may tackle this from the beginning now to get those two channels back but as of right now, you guys have been a tremendous help, thank you again.

t

p.s. i know everyone wonders why i don't keep it soft modded. i really only use my wii to play games, all of the added functionality that the wii can do isn't really that important to me.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'd HIGHLY reccomend you keep the Homebrew channel and move it to the last page of Channels on your Wii, just in case you require homebrew in the future. I also suggest you keep a copy of cIOS installed (Rev 17 would probably be the best) for the same reason - and definitely without a doubt keep a backup of your NAND that is up to date, and keep BootMii installed.
It'll make sure that no matter what Nintendo does, your Wii will be able to function.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
d8thstar said:
Usually point to an untrucha patched IOS
thanks. was aware of that, wondering if there is a way to fix it

Who knows, maybe your wii is not connected to your network. Either way you did something wrong
i know, and, it is connected. how presumptuous of you that i did something wrong, when, like i said before, i followed the directions of a respected softmodder to the letter.

You are an idiot if you want to do that
i'm an idiot because i choose to use my wii differently than you do?

any help is appreciated.
Search. Get a clue.
i did search, and i did hours of research before even considering this. i had a softmodder (one who was actually helpful, unlike...) walk me thru the process and now he's at a loss as to what could have happened.

he suggested i come over to these boards because the folks on here are really helpful, i'm going to assume he didn't mean you.

if anyone else on here has any ideas, i would certainly appreciate it. again, HBC is no longer on the system, would love to virginize my wii if possible
I think you mix up 'helpful' and 'friendly'. Sure, DeadlyFoez is an arrogant bastard...but that doesn't mean he is wrong. If you want help, you must understand that this help (yes, the ppl on this forum) have certain ways of doing things (the softmod guide is pretty much the result of this common knowledge). If you want to stray from that path...fine, go ahead. But in that case, you're on your own. Revirginizing your wii isn't going to help if you intend to hack it again afterwards.

Besides...how close to a virgin IS your wii? You don't have the HBC anymore, and - as DeadlyFoez mentions - the errors you get indicate that your ios'es don't have the trucha bug anymore*. So...what's still custom about it?

*note: because this bug allows to install unsigned content, nintendo's official updates of IOS'es tend to fix this error.

d8thstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i didn't come to the board to start a fight and i certainly didn't come to be called an idiot. i asked some questions, i got some nasty, unhelpful responses and then i got some very good, extremely helpful responses and i'm back up and running

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.