Hacking RetroGameFan Updates/Releases

Sialoquent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I got an idea! For some reason, launching certain titles, YSMenu initially creates a .sav file of 0kb: in this case insert the micro SD into the PC and manually copy a .sav file* of a working DS game and rename it as the game in question (e.g. Tetris.nds with its corresponding Tetris.sav). Insert it back into the DS and notice if you can now save normally while playing the game without the console freezing.

*Note: Of course, it must be a .sav file of the same size as that of the game in question; that is, you must get it from a similar game. Otherwise look online for the exact size of that .sav file (e g. Advanscene.com)
I got an idea! For some reason, launching certain titles, YSMenu initially creates a .sav file of 0kb: in this case insert the micro SD into the PC and manually copy a .sav file* of a working DS game and rename it as the game in question (e.g. Tetris.nds with its corresponding Tetris.sav). Insert it back into the DS and notice if you can now save normally while playing the game without the console freezing.

*Note: Of course, it must be a .sav file of the same size as that of the game in question; that is, you must get it from a similar game. Otherwise look online for the exact size of that .sav file (e g. Advanscene.com)
I've found that the affected game in my case doesn't have the 0kb .sav issue if you set Ys Menu to boot games in Twiilightmenu. However you must start the games from within twilight menu otherwise all games will create a 8kb .sav file of the last game launched in the file directory after which .sav files will no longer be detected.

Also setting Ysmenu to boot games causes games to auto boot unless holding down B.

MikaCookies

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
i bought a chinese R4 on Aliexpress and I have tried all these firmware but when the console turns on this message: "Can't open _dsmenu.bat"
What i can do?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First of all, you should not try random kernels (not firmwares), but you should have inquired before purchase whether its software was readily available. Beware that some r4s get bricked if you use the wrong kernel. First, you now know that the right kernel must contain that specific file. Now you should specify the exact name and site of your flashcart.
Then are you sure that the extension of that file is .bat and not .dat?
Should it be .bat, YSMenu is not compatible, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Aydel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi, I wondered something.
Do the games in the AP list attached to the OP need to be ips patched or does this firmware make them run without issues?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I wondered something.
Do the games in the AP list attached to the OP need to be ips patched or does this firmware make them run without issues?
Hello. I read this list: some games mentioned don't start or freeze at random points (Inazuma Eleven series, Call of Duty series and others), most work without any problems. I believe AP patches are applied by YSMenu during game loading, but some seem to be ineffective. You have to try them and you will see the result. Some users have re-applied the ap patch on some titles anyway, but they still do not work.

Reactions: Aydel

Aydel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello. I read this list: some games mentioned don't start or freeze at random points (Inazuma Eleven series, Call of Duty series and others), most work without any problems. I believe AP patches are applied by YSMenu during game loading, but some seem to be ineffective. You have to try them and you will see the result. Some users have re-applied the ap patch on some titles anyway, but they still do not work.
Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Nikokaro

Maxguid

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Soo i need a little help. one of my friends asked me to update his flash cards. i downloaded the latest firmware ? from inFox domain (r4isdhc_R4i_v2.0.08b_English.rar) and after that i'm stuck at the primary kernel step. it says to extract four files from the DSONEi SDHC YSMenu folder (Games folder,TTMenu folder,R4.dat,TTMenu.dat) and move them to the root of the micro sd but that folder only contain this : Games folder, TTmenu folder, MSFORSC.nds, SCFW.SC and TTMenu.dat).Can someone give me a hint of how to proceed ? attached picture of those carts

Attachments

• IMG20231122142041(1).jpg
    IMG20231122142041(1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 49

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It might be strange but i finally found the fix: If you have a theme applied (like Mario for example) There are 3 files in the folder: Ysmenu.ini and the top and bottom screen picture. Only copy the top and bottom screen picture and not the Ysmenu.ini, that .ini file is causing problems.
Just use the Ysmenu.ini that is in the folder pack of your flashcard and don't replace it with the one of the theme.

This will fix the 0kb file issue.
(Make sure to delete ALL 0kb files that are already there on the microSD card)

If RetroGameFan sees this. Maybe he can fix this bug?

Last edited by PopcornSweetie,
  • Wow
Reactions: Nikokaro

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Soo i need a little help. one of my friends asked me to update his flash cards. i downloaded the latest firmware ? from inFox domain (r4isdhc_R4i_v2.0.08b_English.rar) and after that i'm stuck at the primary kernel step. it says to extract four files from the DSONEi SDHC YSMenu folder (Games folder,TTMenu folder,R4.dat,TTMenu.dat) and move them to the root of the micro sd but that folder only contain this : Games folder, TTmenu folder, MSFORSC.nds, SCFW.SC and TTMenu.dat).Can someone give me a hint of how to proceed ? attached picture of those carts
You have the timebombed R4i-SDHC cards. So, you need to extract the files from R4i-SDHC YSMenu.

Reactions: Maxguid

EibMoZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Hi, my 3ds recognize the r4 and I did the dual boot but my DSi don't recognize the r4 what can I do ?
Edit1: In my DS lite is recognize and works fine is just in my DSi that don't work
Editt2: games won't start just white screen on the lite

Attachments

• 17014996927581229953320138694499.jpg
    17014996927581229953320138694499.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 1701499777704177507110456065803.jpg
    1701499777704177507110456065803.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited by EibMoZ,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have these 2 carts and they run the R4i-SDHC YSMenu, but they are unable to autoboot into YSMenu. Has anyone been able to get these carts to autoboot YSMenu, or am I doomed to manually launch from within the ugly stock loader for the rest of my days? Haha. Thanks in advance.

I tried using the R4.dat for timebomb carts maintained by @lifehackerhansol but was unsuccessful. Perhaps I am using it wrong.

Edit: I found this R4.DAT in the archive at this link: https://gbatemp.net/download/r4isdhc-renovation-v2-20t-kernel-and-ysmenu.37425/

It seems both are trying to achieve the same thing, but I was surprised that the one from @lifehackerhansol flashcard archive located at https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/flashcard-archive-web/blob/gh-pages/YSMenu/DEMON_common/R4.dat does not work.

Attachments

• r4sdhc error.jpg
    r4sdhc error.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 19
  • r4sdhc.jpg
    r4sdhc.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by stl25,

Ficarlo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I tried to make my old R4 work.

It's a R4 Games engine Upgrade revolution for ds (ndsl/nds) from R4I-SDHC

I don't remember where I bougth it, but I can't make it work again.

I got the "wrong date or firmware" message, so I tried to upgrade the firmware, but at this point everything I tried, I end up with the "Menu?" message.

On the official website : r4i-sdhc

From the linfoxdomain archive

I have tried with the firmware with the DSTTi-clone YSMenu, and the DSONEi SDHC YSMenu but nothing work.

I don't know what I did wrong, maybe I did'nt get the right kernel, but I can't figure out where to find something to work.

If someone can help me, I will be so happy :D

Thank you

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Hello, I'm developing a custom kernel for SuperCard SD. I'm really interested in the YSMenu's GBA loading part. can you share this part of the code?

The code is of developer Yasu and i the code is closed source. The Yasu has long left the scene.

Cleobel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi everyone, I have just installed YSMenu on both of my flashcarts (a R4 Revolution and a R4i SDHC). I am attaching a photo of those flashcarts.
On the R4 Revolution, I am NOT using YSMenu as the primary kernel.
On the R4i SDHC, I am using YSMenu as the primary kernel (to bypass the timebomb).

Unfortunately, there is a problem on the R4i SDHC : whenever I try to soft reset a 5th generation Pokemon game (i.e. Pokemon Black, White, Black 2 or White 2), I get a white screen instead.

I have tried soft resetting a different Pokemon game (i.e. Pokemon Platinum), and the soft reset worked perfectly.
I have also copied the 5th generation Pokemon ROMs to the R4 Revolution's micro SD, then tried soft resetting those games on that flashcart, and it worked perfectly as well. So, I know that the problem isn't with the ROMs.
Finally, I have tried replacing the R4i SDHC's micro SD (after copying all the files from the old micro SD to the new one), and the soft reset issue persists. So, I know that the problem isn't with the micro SD.

Is there anyone who could help me solve the issue, please?
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• R4 cartridges.jpg
    R4 cartridges.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0