Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What is missing is the "someone".
No point throwing about "I think it could be done" when no one is interested in doing so.

Until someone announces they are working on it... Take it as it can't be done.... however, your always welcome to try it yourself by learning what it takes to make it happen.

The "i dont know coding" excuse basically translates as I can't be arsed learning and want someone else to do it.
actually I'm trying to do as much as I can to improve a little, and I'm still trying to learn, and a fact that only someone interested and who has already mastered moving would be easier that's what I meant to say sharing ideas I know that, as far as I am I know it would still be difficult, but in the meantime I'm trying to modify some emulators, but as I said someone could one day do it because the console has the capacity for it.
Post automatically merged:

you do understand that dynarecs take months/years of work to get done correctly by skilled programmers right? that is the hardest part of the emulators, most people dont port emulators just thinking on dynarec codding, and they all know without dynarecs the emulators on weak cpus just dont work.
yes, I know that,
so i was thinking about it when i managed to make yabause on wii work some playable games, through a way that i could limit its auto frame skip to skip only 1 and 2 frames, for that i had to make the emulator heavy because, it doesn't giving you a choice of frames because it is automatic it skips many frames and this leaves the game broken,

now on wii64 rice i can for example run conker bad furday at 99% among other games too, just modifying a graphic function inside the emulator and then the game ran without bugs the same as it was at the beginning, only in some areas that the sky is bugged like, in the first boss bull I played until the end among other games too but, in the case of the N64 if it were ported to the wiiu it would be good I would just have to change its graphics plugin to this one (gliden64 rev.be851a3) and leave the selectable audio between (hle) and (jabo direct sound) mode, something that the wii would not run this plugin, on the wii it would be better (jabo's direct3d8)

(Like they did with the ps1 changing its old plugin and they put it (the p.e.ops) great idea but the auto frame skip is bad and if it can be selected it would be perfect on the wii.).

Last edited by Zeox-gamer,

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can always put up a bounty if you want something done. I have no stake in this so I don't really care. My firestick 4k can emulate a bunch of stuff including the ps1, so is my Vita TV.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
actually I'm trying to do as much as I can to improve a little, and I'm still trying to learn, and a fact that only someone interested and who has already mastered moving would be easier that's what I meant to say sharing ideas I know that, as far as I am I know it would still be difficult, but in the meantime I'm trying to modify some emulators, but as I said someone could one day do it because the console has the capacity for it.
Post automatically merged:

yes, I know that,
so i was thinking about it when i managed to make yabause on wii work some playable games, through a way that i could limit its auto frame skip to skip only 1 and 2 frames, for that i had to make the emulator heavy because, it doesn't giving you a choice of frames because it is automatic it skips many frames and this leaves the game broken,

now on wii64 rice i can for example run conker bad furday at 99% among other games too, just modifying a graphic function inside the emulator and then the game ran without bugs the same as it was at the beginning, only in some areas that the sky is bugged like, in the first boss bull I played until the end among other games too but, in the case of the N64 if it were ported to the wiiu it would be good I would just have to change its graphics plugin to this one (gliden64 rev.be851a3) and leave the selectable audio between (hle) and (jabo direct sound) mode, something that the wii would not run this plugin, on the wii it would be better (jabo's direct3d8)

(Like they did with the ps1 changing its old plugin and they put it (the p.e.ops) great idea but the auto frame skip is bad and if it can be selected it would be perfect on the wii.).
i highly doubt you can emulate conker perfectly on wii64 rice... because rice has no framebuffer so the tp left corner will have conker messed up at all times...

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
How about... just waiting for it to happen?

I personally don't think we'll be getting Yabause soon, first because it needs a dynarec, and second because the Saturn was a needlessly complicated console design wise (post Mega Drive SEGA, y'all)

It bears repeating again: The Wii U has a cumbersome architecture and a very limited fandom, wich drives developers away, anything complex that goes beyond what we have is mere wishful thinking and would require a big bounty or someone looking for a challenge to get it done.

There's always the chance of having a Vita-like popularity explosion, but that would still leave the issue of the PowerPC architecture and frankensteined CPU

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I know, but most home consoles that have emulators ported to them uses PowerPC.
Yes, but all of them have dedicated PowerPC CPUs

The Wii U has 3 overclocked Wii CPUs bundled together resulting in a CPU from hell, because the architecture is old and the final result is weird. Plus, apparently the GPU is badly documented.

That's basically what i have gathered over the years as the main reason why the Wii U doesn't have a scene as good as other consoles, and it dosn't help that the audience just isn't there.

Don't misunderstand me, i want as many software ported to Wii U as possible, it has the potential for being the best emulation machine in existence, but it's been a decade now and things aren't better than in the Haxchi/CBHC days. Time to face reality and temper expectations.

monkeyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody can help me root out a persistent issue with Retroarch on Wii U. Retroarch boots up fine (within 30 sec from Homebrew Launcher) and I can get into a game/core with no issues, but the app very consistently crashes the console about 15 minutes into normal gameplay. It's a hard crash each time so unfortunately I can't provide any logs.

Performance is great up until the crash and the issue persists across every core, which leads me to believe it could be something to do with the app settings, some aspect of the autoconfig process, or some issue with the install itself. However, I have tried about a half dozen different Retroarch releases, from the most recent going back to 1.9.0, and I seem to run into this problem each time no matter which version I try.

I'm running Haxchi and have been following the guide to make sure my folder structure is correct and BIOS are in the right place. I can't seem to find any info about this exact issue, so I've basically run out of solutions.

TL;DR: Retroarch crashes my Wii U consistently after about 15 minutes of virtually flawless performance. Anybody know what could be going on here?

UPDATE: Turns out the issue had to do with desyncing the gamepad. Disabling the gamepad from the Retroarch menu was causing Retroarch to crash after a few minutes of emulation. Desyncing from the home menu and launching Retroarch with the Pro Controller works around the issue. I'll leave this post up just in case anybody else is still using Haxchi and has the same problem.

Last edited by monkeyman,

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i highly doubt you can emulate conker perfectly on wii64 rice... because rice has no framebuffer so the tp left corner will have conker messed up at all times...
I already managed to run 98% perfect modifying some things, I even finished the game and removed those bugs that had on the fences of the beginning games. and I even made the tutorial with the game working on my Brazilian channel called Zeox Gamer, so if you doubt it, go to my channel and test it, help the channel also subscribe and leave your like:

QuarkTheAwesome

🦊
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
The Wii U has 3 overclocked Wii CPUs bundled together resulting in a CPU from hell, because the architecture is old and the final result is weird. Plus, apparently the GPU is badly documented.
Honestly I'd argue that the issue is more just that it's Slow. The clocks are only ~2x the Wii's for single-threaded workloads and the Wii didn't have a whole OS' worth of overhead to power through. The GPU is nice once you know your way around it though.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Do we still have much interest in RA WiiU? It's been on my mind a lot lately as a potential wut/aroma thing but, I've talked in the past about how I have a kinda complicated relationship with it.. are people still getting it set up and getting something out of it?
Well, i just rescued my Wii U for december, set up Aroma and god bummed by Retroarch not working on it, so... that's one person interested at least.

michalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello All,
I just wanted to ask you, based on the current status, what Retroarch cores are really worth checking on WiiU? I have a Retroarch on my Mac, but wanted to move it to WiiU. I am basically interested in older 8/16bit games, especially, Sega Genesis, NeoGeo, Amiga, etc.

Thanks for help!
M.

vbarros22

Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Do we still have much interest in RA WiiU? It's been on my mind a lot lately as a potential wut/aroma thing but, I've talked in the past about how I have a kinda complicated relationship with it.. are people still getting it set up and getting something out of it?
well I have to back to tiramisu to work with retroarch
so I would love to have in aroma

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
YES. there is still interest in Retroarch for WiiU, it may have gone quiet here but that's because the WiiU port hasn't improved feature wise for a while, we've had bug fixes tho and they're always appreciated :)
I think if there were to be improvements made, things here will pick up again.
Silly as it sounds I use WiiU RA more than Switch RA lol

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
In fact, i'm interested in going to back to Retroarch on Wii U for Dosbox. I don't know in what state the emulator is right now, but back in the Haxchi days before i boxed it i used it a lot for Dos games (particularly the PC Futbol series, but that's another story)

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In fact, i'm interested in going to back to Retroarch on Wii U for Dosbox. I don't know in what state the emulator is right now, but back in the Haxchi days before i boxed it i used it a lot for Dos games (particularly the PC Futbol series, but that's another story)
There has been work on getting the Dosbox Pure core working with dynarec support but wiiu being wiiu couldn't get it to play nice. :/

Dosbox Pure Core is superior in all aspects compared to Dosbox (normal) Core, if that was working it would be a big Core addition for WiiU

monkeyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's time to stop running it.
Probably not going to happen since I don't know the first thing about uninstalling Haxchi and I'm not necessarily interested in starting again from factory settings. Thank you for your reply though, I appreciate it

EDIT: Problem solved, see original post.

Last edited by monkeyman,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: For you @Xdqwerty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1sefvrN40 +1