Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know its only been a couple of days since they got XMB working on the Wii U port but is it now able to switch visualizations and not get stuck with the red theme?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a reason more to include some possibility to turn off the gamepad screen in RetroArch ;) With screen turned off one could play these games on TV perfectly fine.
I know you don't take any requests but perhaps it would be possible to include PadCon option in RA for such games (or at least make RA not crashing when PadCon is installed on WiiU through Haxchi etc.)??

Thanks for your hard work!

You can also walk with the Gamepad away from the Wii U until it forcibly loses the connection, that's what I do, and then I turn off the game pad and it saves battery. I'm not sure why a feature like that hasn't been implemented. It can't be that hard to implement, right?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can also walk with the Gamepad away from the Wii U until it forcibly loses the connection, that's what I do, and then I turn off the game pad and it saves battery. I'm not sure why a feature like that hasn't been implemented.

True, walking away to turn it off would work, but I'd like to keep the GamePad as input device - which is only possible with PadCon or similar.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is driving me fucking nuts ToT
How can I load PWADs or Doom mods with PrBoom?
I really want to load up WolfenDoom into it but I cannot figure out how to do so.

plz halp me. xD

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the keyboard to emulate the gamepad buttons, but cannot get it to act like a keyboard.
For dos games if you build a bat file that points it to run, and run the bat it will load. the best way to do this is figure out what commands to use to get it to work on your pc with dosbox and copy and paste into a text document and name it the game name and .bat, include it in the folder for the game. Someone on the internet might have a bunch of these bat files somewhere for dosbox already done for you, look around, im sure they are there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is driving me fucking nuts ToT
How can I load PWADs or Doom mods with PrBoom?
I really want to load up WolfenDoom into it but I cannot figure out how to do so.

plz halp me. xD
I'm not sure about wolfendoom, but all mine work, Doom1, Doom2, UltimateDoom, Plutonium and TNT

Reactions: ShadowOne333

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to play the gba game fzero maximum velocity.. DONT! I played it for about 10 mins and noticed the map on the bottom of the screen sort of burns-in the WiiU gamepad screen. The map has shimmer to it. AS seen hear:

Be careful the shimmer stays on the WiiU Gamepad screen for a good 10 mins after..

This happens on the 3DS too. That's why Nintendo darkened the GBA games and added ghosting/motion blur on there.

Reactions: ploggy

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I got the keyboard to emulate the gamepad buttons, but cannot get it to act like a keyboard.
For dos games if you build a bat file that points it to run, and run the bat it will load. the best way to do this is figure out what commands to use to get it to work on your pc with dosbox and copy and paste into a text document and name it the game name and .bat, include it in the folder for the game. Someone on the internet might have a bunch of these bat files somewhere for dosbox already done for you, look around, im sure they are there.
What's the format games should have? I'm trying to run Command & Conquer Red Alert but it always throw me the error I posted early :unsure:, but I'm confused about the many versions available on internet.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might have to see if you can find a pre-made .bat file for command and conquer Red Alert for dosbox. i have the disc copy of the game somewhere, but im a game hoarder, so it could be anywhere right now. I'll look around though, if you can find a book for the game though, it should give you the command line to run the game.

Reactions: cucholix

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happens on the 3DS too. That's why Nintendo darkened the GBA games and added ghosting/motion blur on there.

Only way around it is forcibly shutting down the game pad (walking into another room), or playing the other F-zero game, at least, until RA gets an option to turn off the screen.

Opoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know on the 3DS, there's injects of the blurred/ghosted versions of those games floating around, I wonder if someone could extract them for use on the Wii U.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not sure about wolfendoom, but all mine work, Doom1, Doom2, UltimateDoom, Plutonium and TNT
Ultimate Doom?
But that's an official release of Doom from 1995.
Same for Plutonia and TNT, official releases as well.

So far I haven't heard anything about loading Doom or Doom II mods using console PrBoom, I only read about booting them in PC.
But if they work for PC they should for the console releases as well, it's just that there doesn't seem to be any documentation as to how to load Doom mods for consoles :/

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ultimate Doom?
But that's an official release of Doom from 1995.
Same for Plutonia and TNT, official releases as well.

So far I haven't heard anything about loading Doom or Doom II mods using console PrBoom, I only read about booting them in PC.
But if they work for PC they should for the console releases as well, it's just that there doesn't seem to be any documentation as to how to load Doom mods for consoles :/
I'm not sure about mods, I'll have to download that mod and look at it, I thought someone the other day said prboom wasn't working. I'll look into the mod and see if anything can be done. Is there a hexen or heratic core for retroarch?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm not sure about mods, I'll have to download that mod and look at it, I thought someone the other day said prboom wasn't working. I'll look into the mod and see if anything can be done. Is there a hexen or heratic core for retroarch?
PrBoom is working just fine with all of the usual Doom versions (Doom, Doom II, Plutonia, TNT).
For Hexen and Heretic, you can get .wad versions of those and PrBoom should run them as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards