Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Arena ran on the first time with rpx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good job quark, as far as im concerned you can claim that money

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

are usb keyboards usable?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If anybody wants to try arena its free on the elderscrolls web site, its an installer, so just point it to your sd anywhere you want to put it and run the bat file inside the arena folder through the rpx version of dosbox.
Did you get the controls to work with arena?

Opoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
False alarm on my PCE CD problems - I was accidentally omitting the RPX extension on the playlist generator for the path to the core for that particular system, playlists work like a charm for ISO loading now. My last problem is that Neo Geo seems to be broken in any core that supports it, I get a DSI error every time on any ROM. I was previously able to play Neo Geo with my current copy of the BIOS prior to the XMB builds - anyone else having luck with it?

aliaspider

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to play the gba game fzero maximum velocity.. DONT! I played it for about 10 mins and noticed the map on the bottom of the screen sort of burns-in the WiiU gamepad screen. The map has shimmer to it. AS seen hear:

Be careful the shimmer stays on the WiiU Gamepad screen for a good 10 mins after..

yeah stay away from anything that has constant blinking of the same pixels for prolonged periods (> 10seconds). the display they used for the wiiu gamepad seems to resonate with those, and they get burned in.
since you just played for 10 min, the burn-in should dissipate after a while hopefully.
burn-in reduction is completely useless since it doesn't help against blinking pixels, and prolonged display of normal images doesn't damage the display.

Last edited by aliaspider,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah stay away from anything that has constant blinking of the same pixels for prolonged periods (> 10seconds). the display they used for the wiiu gamepad seems to resonate with those, and they get burned in.
since you just played for 10 min, the burn-in should dissipate after a while hopefully.
Yeah, it did disappear after a while thankfully..

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@wicksand420 I'm pretty sure @brienj added USB keyboard support a while ago, though I'm not sure how it works in terms of cores. I suspect you may be able to change the emulated controller from a RetroPad to a keyboard of some kind?

If someone could let me know what's going on with the HBL ELF, that'd be awesome. No reason they should act differently, but @pedro702's report has got me holding off on merging in my changes.

Also: I worked a bit on Hatari and it turns out there's some actual porting work required in the form of SDL_thread.h (search for "GEKKO"); so I'll consider that a low priority core so I can keep up my momentum up. I'll come back to it later. Does that mean c64 is next?
Hrm, okay. In that case, I'll hold off on pushing the code changes for Dosbox until I can debug the HBL stuff on-console.

I took a peek at the C64 emu, however, and it looks like that should be doable without a test system; mostly just makefile tweaks (assuming the Wii build works). I'll give it a shot tommorow.
wasnt there a limit to elf sizes? becuase maybe this core is too big for elf, since its preety big sizewise, there are some cores that only work as rpxs like fba/mame and maybe dosbox?

Also i heard people saying xmb can create a touchscreen keyboard on the gamepad is that true? if so how?

Another thing i tryed star wars dark forces and the game runs very very slowly , i mean dosbox wii played the game at like 20 fps or so how does the wiiu plays it under 2 fps? afaik dosbox has no dynarec at all.

I cant make my keyboard work did anyone got keyboard working on dosbox?

Also there is no keyboard option on the controls option even tough keyboard was added to retroarch wiiu?just gamepad,retropad,mapper(what is this?)

Last edited by pedro702,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
wasnt there a limit to elf sizes? becuase maybe this core is too big for elf, since its preety big sizewise, there are some cores that only work as rpxs like fba/mame and maybe dosbox?

Also i heard people saying xmb can create a touchscreen keyboard on the gamepad is that true? if so how?

Another thing i tryed star wars dark forces and the game runs very very slowly , i mean dosbox wii played the game at like 20 fps or so how does the wiiu plays it under 2 fps? afaik dosbox has no dynarec at all.

The limit for ELF files is 6MB I think.
That might be why.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I said earlier that the XMB has a built-in keyboard (press x on the gamepad while in menu) but it's missing a background? But I have no idea how that would work with Dosbox Emulation..

I haven't managed to get the usb ketboard to work either but I did somehow managed to control the Dosbox game Arena (well the mouse part anyway).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I said earlier that the XMB has a built-in keyboard (press x on the gamepad while in menu) but it's missing a background? But I have no idea how that would work with Dosbox Emulation..

I haven't managed to get the usb ketboard to work either but I did somehow managed to control the Dosbox game Arena (well the mouse part anyway).
yeah the gamepad has no buttons to configure? while the retropads can get every button configured?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah the gamepad has no buttons to configure? while the retropads can get every button configured?
I don't know what I changed or even if me messing with the settings is what got the controls to work, They may have worked by default and changing the controller settings doesn't matter :P

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
How do you manage to run it without typing on DOS console?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
games run automaticaly as long as you select the EXE remenebr the dos game must be on a folder and extracted, if its on zip it wont work.
I did that, the folder is not compressed, and open the .exe directly but got stuck in this screen:

IMG_20170525_084902802_HDR[1].jpg

It's Comand & Conquer Red Alert :unsure:

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
burn-in reduction is completely useless since it doesn't help against blinking pixels, and prolonged display of normal images doesn't damage the display.

This is a reason more to include some possibility to turn off the gamepad screen in RetroArch ;) With screen turned off one could play these games on TV perfectly fine.
I know you don't take any requests but perhaps it would be possible to include PadCon option in RA for such games (or at least make RA not crashing when PadCon is installed on WiiU through Haxchi etc.)??

Thanks for your hard work!

Reactions: Aglaophotis

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I did that, the folder is not compressed, and open the .exe directly but got stuck in this screen:

View attachment 88078

It's Comand & Conquer Red Alert :unsure:
it does say it gave a fatal error so maybe that game doesnt work or its a imcomplete folder? try another game

i got prince of persia running well, catacombs 3d also seems to run well star wars darkforces runs very very slowly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1