Software RetroArch v1.8.0 released, improves UI for mobile users

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 26, 2019.

Front-page Software
    edQ2lnL.
    A full month hasn't even passed since the last update of RetroArch, 1.7.9, which released earlier this October, and added new touchscreen gestures for those using the mobile version of the program. Now, with the newly released version 1.8.0, even more improvements have been made to the UI in general, for mobile users. Some new improvements and additions include a new method of scaling menu sizes for a variety of different resolutions and DPI, animated transitions between menus, a navigation bar which makes changing settings more effortless, and other visual optimizations.

PC and Linux users also get some nice new features, with two bounty requests having been fulfilled. Rinnegatamante has added "graceful switching" for video drivers, meaning that RetroArch has an easier time swapping cores with different video settings, and is now much more stable. Support for a new MAME layout has also been added, and now works with OpenGL drivers.

You can see detailed descriptions regarding the new updates and changes in the quoted text above, and if you're interested in grabbing this update, you can head over to the official Libretro site, in the source. A changelog has also been included, below.

:arrow: Source

Jyssa, Henx, hippy dave and 7 others like this.
    Discussion (27 replies)
  1. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    What are odds that the 3DS "stable" doesn't even boot?

2. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I'm not sure how about you try it out? if it doesn't boot try a fresh install so older configs don't mess things up

3. LibretroRetroArc

LibretroRetroArc GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 24, 2012
    Netherlands
    We'd like to hear from any users if there are issues on 3DS, generally we try to do a very solid job there. However, lots of custom firmware issues can sometimes cause issues that we cannot reproduce on our own systems.

Nevertheless, we'd like to hear from anybody if they're having trouble. jdgleaver regularly tests RetroArch on 3DS, so it's not a platform we are ignoring or anything.

4. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    OK I figured people would be in on my snide comment but I guess many really have moved on to the Switch. We've had several stables that have been anything but on the 3DS on first release, needing several days of fixes before you could avoid ARM11 exceptions. When 3DS-specific PSX optimizations were announced, the thing would crash horribly from notifications.

I can say that 1.80 with a fresh config seems to work OK, even PSX games with notifications on. So yay.

MythicalData likes this.
  5. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Just opened it, main difference seems to be dark mode.

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Cynical much?

7. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    The fuse core crashes no matter what zx spectrum game I try. Also Beetle VB crashes no mater what Virtual boy rom I try. Beetle Cygene core plays Wonderswan roms good but there is no sound at all on any rom. Handy crashes with any Atari Lynx game.

All the above have been tested on both a original 3ds and a N3DS both on firmware 11.11.0-43E using Luma 10.0.1
    All tested using cia and 3dsx.
    All the above crash with an Arm 11 exception.

There is probably a lot more cores that just don't work at all but I haven't the time to test them at the moment.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Oct 26, 2019
  8. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    See that's what I'm talking about. Although I haven't been able to replicate lynx crashes on 1.80 yet.

I did just overwrite a previous recent nightly and delete my .cfg files though.

9. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    ...and yet I still can't get certain N64 games working properly anymore..

10. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So report it to GitHub instead of here?

11. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    not worth it tbh. This is on my phone, and honestly it seems I'm the only one. Scoured the forums, github, subreddit and found nothing. So, if it's fixed? Yay. If not? I've got options.

12. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Guess it'll never be fixed if it's not reported.

13. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    I guess not.. Oh well.

14. Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    I know it's not on 3DS but after setting PS3's RetroArch's Aspect Ratio setting to "Custom" for each one of the cores I use and save RetroArch's configuration I have to set it again in some cores' case because the Aspect Ratio setting is blank so I'll have a black screen in these cases if I don't set the Aspect Ratio to "Custom" (or other setting), which is annoying. Is this normal? I've been having this problem for a long time.

Also, when will PSP's RetroArch be updated and have no problems playing GBA ROMs?

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Oct 27, 2019
  15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I mean, the dev literally just said he'd like to hear feedback, but they don't drop by here often, but Github instead. I fail to see why people refuse to report bugs.

16. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    ...because I haven't taken the necessary steps to ensure that it's not an issue with my setup.

17. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2012
    United States
    Loading NES ROMs with Nestopia (New 3DS) gives me the following error in the pic below.

Didn't start doing this until I updated to 1.7.9. 20191021_214710.

18. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I mean, they can only do so much, you know? That's fine to make doubly sure it can be replicated on others' machines before making a report. Sorry, I just want to see the Libretro Team get as many bugs squished as possible >.>

Apologies :(

Memoir likes this.
  19. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Once I know for sure that it's on their end, I'll report something. You're fine boss man.