Homebrew RetroArch Switch

D

Deleted User

everything i learned how to fix and gettings to work i learned from roblabla and misson20000 long time devs the most reswitched team might hate me but i got alot of respect for everybody.

@notimp i was playing the real super mario from 1989 for over 1h and it worked just fine

Reactions: WiiuGold

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sunday Present for all Gameboy / Color Lovers.

We figured out the issue (Thanks for the Fix and the Bug Report GdkChan Team RyuJinx)

Saving Works

Made a Savefile for Pokemon Gold , Crystal , Blue
Saving works indeed, but is it correct when leaving retroarch everytime (like turning off the console or press the home button), the saveslot is emtpy again and you have to play from the beginning?

Captain Library

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
since this is early stages and this is a non official port its roughly ported by many community members gdkchan misson me and others so issues can happen , we wanted to make sure that the game runs stable and fast first

And on that front, amazing job. I think I said in an earlier post that it's so incredible to be able to do any of this on my Switch at all, so thank you and everyone involved for getting us to where we are so early in the console's life. The games are certainly playable and I'm not experiencing crashes with the newer builds. I just hoped it would be helpful to report back on some of the hiccups I'm seeing in my tests :) and it's a lot of fun just to test.

I was curious to know if anyone else was experiencing the "ripple" effect on Gambatte and Pico as I've not seen a lot of people reporting that back.

VBA-next is near flawless in every game I've played. It's not flinching in Sonic Advance 2, for instance. What's really cool is docking and playing some GBA games on my TV with loose joy-cons. Very chill experience!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Saving works indeed, but is it correct when leaving retroarch everytime (like turning off the console or press the home button), the saveslot is emtpy again and you have to play from the beginning?
No, if you bring up the quick menu with + and - buttons and "Close content", you keep your saves for sure (also seems to work if you close retroarch through the menu without closing content first)
Hitting home or turning off the console will lose you that save though, so just remember to close the game or retroarch properly.

D

Deleted User

And on that front, amazing job. I think I said in an earlier post that it's so incredible to be able to do any of this on my Switch at all, so thank you and everyone involved for getting us to where we are so early in the console's life. The games are certainly playable and I'm not experiencing crashes with the newer builds. I just hoped it would be helpful to report back on some of the hiccups I'm seeing in my tests :) and it's a lot of fun just to test.

I was curious to know if anyone else was experiencing the "ripple" effect on Gambatte and Pico as I've not seen a lot of people reporting that back.

VBA-next is near flawless in every game I've played. It's not flinching in Sonic Advance 2, for instance. What's really cool is docking and playing some GBA games on my TV with loose joy-cons. Very chill experience!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, if you bring up the quick menu with + and - buttons and "Close content", you keep your saves for sure (also seems to work if you close retroarch through the menu without closing content first)
Hitting home or turning off the console will lose you that save though, so just remember to close the game or retroarch properly.

i think we was able to save inside the game and keep the game save

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sunday Present for all Gameboy / Color Lovers.

We figured out the issue (Thanks for the Fix and the Bug Report GdkChan Team RyuJinx)

Saving Works

Made a Savefile for Pokemon Gold , Crystal , Blue
This is just amazing! Thank you so much. I'll definitely enjoy playing Pok Red and Zelda IV DX on the Switch at some point! :)

LuigiGold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
One question....

Is it sure to use this? I mean, can you use router's Wifi without any signal of update?

Greetings.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Actually nope.

- The "Automatic Updates" toggle only affects game updates, not system updates. Apparently. Or at least thats what I read on the subject matter.
- System Updates could get downloaded as soon as you get online.
- They dont get applied automatically though - they present you with nag messages, which you can deny. Rebooting the system (not standby) also should delete them (downloaded, but not applied updates). If it doesnt, there is a way to delete them by entering and exiting the service menu - if you need to, look it up.

I suspect, that the HBL DNS has the Nintendo update servers on a blacklist - so you should be ok, as soon as you use it. I havent confirmed it though. Both my home router and my smartphone (hotspot) have the Nintendo update servers on a separate blacklist - so I havent "checked it" so to speak.

So if you want to edit in the HBL DNS, it might be a good idea, to go "offline" (unplug the cord) for the time while you are connected to the wlan - but not have the DNS entered in yet. Presuming, that the DNS will block the update servers from then on. (Need confirmation on that.)

Getting the update downloaded isnt so bad, as you can still get rid of it, so you have a safety net, as long as you NEVER hit update on the nag message.

edit: There is conflicting information about the "disabling auto updates" option affecting system update downloads out there. F.e.: https://reswitched.tech/info/faq

edit: "My version" makes more sense. At least theoretically. ;) There are no reports out there of the Switch "auto updating the firmware without asking the user". They cant auto update firmware in the background anyhow, they need to make sure, that the user is aware - and doesnt reset the system, while its doing it. The option is called auto-update, not auto-download -- so the options in settings ought to be referring to game updates.

Only question remaining is, if that option also prevents an auto download of the most recent firmware - and the answer there ought to be no - otherwise people wouldnt be setting up custom DNS servers, to prevent that behavior.

Case closed. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

LuigiGold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
lol.

Thanks dude!

Though I doubt I get the update downloaded since I've only used my console for getting into the HBL (so it gives me an error when trying to connect).

Though, the HBL/Retroarch are still very young and unstable, so I better buy Zelda BoTW (I'm aware there are updated versions out there) and play it for the long wait. Also I've MK8 DX, ARMS and Splatoon, so I think I can survive a couple of months (though I don't use the Switch very much TBH).

Greetings, and thanks for your support guys!

D

Deleted User

Had a Funny talk with the Owners of RetroArch , they are saying in the future it could be a PS3 Emulator for RetroArch but here is now the Funny Part.

PS3 Needs an Core i7 8770K an Titan XP to run on the PC xDDD

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Not gbatemp. Average folks with smartphones, who had success outsourcing problemsolving to random white knights on the internet. 100%

@salamandrusker - read just the last two three pages of this thread and you'd get your answers. This is not a question answering service, or a product support channel - this is a forum. If you are not interested in contributing and learning stuff - its hard to see you giving anything back over time.

To answer your question (and save you some reading, which apparently is what you post on the internet for...) - it will take time, there is no ETA - we dont even know if people started to work on the necessary libraries yet (no public confirmation, unanswered bounty tickets). Maybe never. Probably - some day.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: salamandrusker
D

Deleted User

Had a Funny talk with the Owners of RetroArch , they are saying in the future it could be a PS3 Emulator for RetroArch but here is now the Funny Part.

PS3 Needs an Core i7 8770K an Titan XP to run on the PC xDDD
So no Support for the Switch then!:rofl:

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)