1. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Japan
    You can set the clocks however you want. If a game doesn't run well, just shift the overclock up a notch.

ragestaker21 likes this.
  2. ragestaker21

ragestaker21 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    thank you! how to edit dithering options??

it is safe to oc cpu to 1500 in handheld? I have mx4 thermal paste under my switch

Last edited by ragestaker21, Oct 26, 2020
  3. bad361

bad361 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    Yes, every available oc option inside RA (and sys-clk) is safe to use. Overclocking cpu won't even reduce you battery life that much, gpu most probably will tho. Dithering is under core options in RA (when in-game, open RA overlay menu>quick menu>options>enable dithering).

Last edited by bad361, Oct 27, 2020
    ragestaker21 and Rahkeesh like this.
  4. ragestaker21

ragestaker21 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Great reply , thank you!

5. FanNintendo

FanNintendo GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Mx4m announce on Twitter about gamepack 64 transfer in switch from Gameboy Gameboy color to 64 like pokemon like that

ragestaker21 likes this.
  6. Ace88

Ace88 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Hello everyone. Just wanted to mention, that Banjoo Kazooi still freezes randomly.

7. angelhp

angelhp GBAtemp Fan

United States
    change audio driver audren to switch_thread

lordelan and Ace88 like this.
  8. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Alright I might have stumbled on a problem with Retroarch in general? and 30 FPS capped games, at least on PPSSPP.

Its incredibly obvious in Dracula X Chronicles, a 3D sidescroller with a 30 FPS cap, that there's just massive amount of microstuttering. Scrolling as you move through the level just isn't smooth like it is on a Vita, even though sound is fine and framerate is locked. There isn't nearly the same amount of stutter in the old standalone Switch port of PPSSPP either.

However if you disable audio sync, well suddenly the game runs too fast. But then set frame interval to 2, and the scrolling becomes perfectly smooth (although the sound is a bit messed up.) My understanding is that this is forcing the game to run slightly faster at a real 30 FPS instead of whatever fit the PSP display's actual refresh, which is slightly less.

The suspicion is that Retroarch does not handle pacing near-30 FPS to the display nearly as well as it does near-60 FPS games. I stumbled on threads also complaining about this on the PC version even, presumably you need a variable framerate monitor that can go all the way to sub-30hz to fully fix it.

Don't know much about the best way to fix on Switch with its locked 60hz display, but some builds of PPSSPP already have a function that outputs repeated frames for compatability with various phones. I.E. even as the game renders near 30, PPSSPP takes care of filling in the missing frames with duplicates to bring it up to 60. Maybe porting that option to the retroarch core would be the easiest fix?

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Nov 1, 2020
  9. shanefromoz

shanefromoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Im using retroarch 1.9.0 with sxos.
    Is there a way to have the retroarch display on the main screen of my switch rather then going through the homebrew menu?

10. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    There's forwarders out there

11. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    Just use NRO2NSP to build your own forwarder.

shanefromoz likes this.
  12. jucaa

jucaa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hey guys, i started playing N64 pokemon snap yesterday and it was a bit laggy, is there a recommended config for it to run smoothly?

13. ShadowOne333

OP ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO
    Developer

Mexico
    Increase the overclock, I played through the entirety of Snap just fine.

14. jucaa

jucaa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is it ok to increase overclock? To how much?

15. ShadowOne333

OP ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO
    Developer

Mexico
    You can overclock just fine, RetroArch has settings for that pre-coded, you just need to choose the OC profile that suits you best.
    For Pokemon Snap, I believe I used the 1500 one, I don't think I used the highest one (1700) with it, but you be the judge.

16. frankadank

frankadank Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I thought forwarders are bad for running retroarch

17. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

I've been hearing that for over 2 years but I've been using them, hundreds of them for that amount of time with no problems. They include the extra ram you get when you hold R on a game so you don't have to do it. They do nothing but make your life easier and look cooler like they're real Switch games on your Switch menu.

sorabora likes this.
  18. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    NOTE - Cheat Search is working again. I guess redoing everything after the Site was messed with, has it benefits.

19. bad361

bad361 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    Yes, but forwarders are used with the help of piracy patches (one of the main reasons why it's not officially recommended/endorsed, cause RA is a legit open source hb that obv won't suggest you using any piracy-related stuff...correct me if i'm wrong) and some ppl just don't use them at all. If you don't care about installing unsigned nsps, or you are already banned, or you are using emunand for offline-only play, so yeah, forwaders will do the same job as title override pretty much.

Last edited by bad361, Nov 4, 2020
  20. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    There's nothing illegal about using sigpatches especially if you use them for own homebrew forwarders. NRO2NSP doesn't use any copyrighted stuff to build the NSPs either.
    As u said u will get banned though.
    Theoretically u could use RetroArch on your online console if you boot it the official way without getting banned (but you never know).
    However I've been using the forwarder NSP for ages too on my emuMMC and never had any RAM issues.

FanboyKilla and uzimakiuchiha like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - RetroArch, Switch,