RetroArch Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by ShadowOne333, Dec 30, 2017.

1. TamarindoJuice

TamarindoJuice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Brazil
    I dunno if i did something wrong over here but every PSP game i'm trying to run is displaying just a black screen now. I've updated the core over the retroarch updater.

EDIT - IT WAS MY FAULT, FIXED.

Last edited by TamarindoJuice, May 22, 2019
  2. ShadowOne333
    OP

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Are you using XMB as theme?

3. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    1. fbemu?

2. Overscan is already enabled by default in core options (all four sub options are set to 0).

Game I'm trying is SM64.

Would be cool to keep aspect ratio to Core provided as that works perfectly for PPSSPP as well.

4. TamarindoJuice

Jan 30, 2016
    Brazil
    I'm using Ozone. Game opens, i can hear the sounds but even the retroarch menu can't display, just a black screen. I should have messed up something.

5. crazy_p

crazy_p GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2016
    Switzerland
    If you want to convert your PSX .bin & .cue Files to the .chd Format, then you need the latest MAME build.

Extract the mame0209b_32bit.exe and look for a File called: chdman.exe. Direct Link (THX @EmulateLife)

Copy the chdman.exe to your Rom Folder (with .bin & .cue Files).

Press WIN + R, and type cmd.

Press Enter and a Black Window will pop up.

Navigate to your Rom Folder (example: cd C:\Roms\FFVII\CD1) and press Enter.

Paste: for %i in (*.cue) do chdman createcd -i "%i" -o "%~ni.chd" and press Enter.

The conversion should start now. After the Process is finished, you should have your Game in the compressed .chd Format.

If you have multi Disk Games, you better create an .m3u File

Last edited by crazy_p, May 22, 2019
    satel and Nin4one like this.
  6. TamarindoJuice

Jan 30, 2016
    Brazil
    Deleted

Last edited by TamarindoJuice, May 22, 2019
  7. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 13, 2019
    United States
    For those that don't want to mess with getting the new MAME you can get chdman.exe here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ElaPpvBHs5aUd0QUM3c05kY2c/view?usp=sharing

satel and crazy_p like this.
  8. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Guess fbemu is framebuffer emulation. That is already set to true by default as well.

9. Trice

Trice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2009
    Switzerland
    You don't only need to enable overscan, you also need to configure how much should be cut off (top, right, bottom, left). This is different for every game, so you should save it as a game-specific config.

You definitely should keep the aspect ratio as Core provided. Then set the aspect ratio in the core settings to 4:3, 16:9 (if the game has a widescreen mode or there's a widescreen patch) or 16:9 adjusted (this forces the game to display in widescreen without stretching the image, it usually leads to pop-in on the side of the screen, because the games are not designed to display objects in that area). N64 really requires game-specific configs, because there's just no single config that works with every game if you want to have everything looking and playing perfectly.

lordelan likes this.
  10. tabnk

tabnk GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2016
    United States
    Tested on latest build of mupen64plus-next. Conker's Bad Fur Day still not able to reach full speed with Frame buffer emulation on. Switch really reach it limit capability.

11. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany
    Cbfd runs perfect for me with fbemu in 720p handheld or 1080p dock

12. JACMAN

JACMAN Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2018
    United States
    Yo M4xw u experienced any issues with MGS Peacewalker specifically the mission that requires c4. Thing is i have c4 already but still says "c4 is required for this mission" any idea?

13. FanboyKilla

FanboyKilla GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2019
    United States
    If they are set to "0" then that means you are NOT cropping any pixels. You have to set them something in order to crop pixels.

Here's the Overscan Settings that I'm using to get a perfect "edge to edge" display with SM64.

Overscan Offset (Top) - 10
    Overscan Offset (Left) - 5
    Overscan Offset (Right) - 5
    Overscan Offset (Bottom) - 10

[​IMG]

coffinbirth and lordelan like this.
  14. Pola92

Pola92 Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United States
    It works great but whenever I put it in the dock it stops sounding, I’ve tried both Bitstream and PCM output on TV but that didn’t do it. What else should I do?
    Thanks

EmulateLife likes this.
  15. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    @Trice @FanboyKilla
    Thx guys! I will try this today when I'm home.
    I read somewhere that those Overscan values are in fact the thickness of the borders which confused me lol. So I thought having all the values at 0 should already be the best option.
    Also @Brawl345 told me, that I'm might having issues using your configs since I was using the german (PAL) version. So I'll play around a bit and will end up with a perfect setting for each game. :)

Trice and FanboyKilla like this.
  16. Jnks

Jnks Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2018
    France
    What's the state of GameCube emulation? Does Pokemon Colosseum and XD run well?

17. Ninn

Ninn GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2006
    Last edited by Ninn, May 23, 2019
  18. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany
    Known bug.
    I worked around with a custom ver that uses savestates from standalone.
    Happens on PC too (libretro specific)

19. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    @m4xw
    Shouldn't the config priority list go like this:
    1. use game override settings if present
    2. use core override settings if present (and if no game setting is present)
    3. use global RetroArch settings (if no core and no game setting is present)

I loaded up SM64 (PAL), went to core options and adjusted the Overscan values to:
    TOP: 33
    LEFT: 8
    RIGHT: 9
    BOTTOM: 36

That seems perfect for 16:9 adjusted ratio. I saved a game override from within the quick menu.
    Then closed content and loaded up SM64 (NTSC) where areas of the pictures are cut off obviously.
    Went to core options, set all four Overscan values to 0 again and saved that as a core override.
    (So I did not create a game override for the NTSC version of SM64.)

However everytime I load one of the two games (no matter which one), all four Overscan values are where I "left" them.
    Since I saved a game override for the PAL version, it should automatically load it when I load the PAL version (values 33, 8, 9, 36) and when I load the NTSC version it should load the core override values (0, 0, 0, 0) since I didn't save a game override for that one but a core override instead.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Last edited by lordelan, May 23, 2019
  20. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    Yoshi finally pays his taxes and he can run at decent speeed :v