RetroArch Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by ShadowOne333, Dec 30, 2017.

1. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany

There will be a huuuuuuuuuuge update once i ironed it out ;)

2. Eosos

Eosos Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2019
    United States
    Quick question from a total noob. I just installed retroarch after following this tutorial:

The tutorial essentially gets Atmosphere 0.8.5 up on the switch and then you can download things from the HB App Store. So I downloaded retroarch and installed the Mupen64 core.

1) Whenever I start a GBA ROM the game runs in a super small box up on the top right of the switch. Has anyone encountered and fixed this before? I'd like to do fullscreen and the video settings don't seem to affect anything (I've tried changing the aspect ratios)
    2) I can't get a N64 game to run for the life of me. I did the max overclock in the settings of Retroarch, but the game never runs and I just get an 'unexpected error' message.

Any help is super appreciated!!

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Which GBA core are you running?

4. Eosos

Eosos Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2019
    United States
    mGBA is the one I was using

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Hmm, sorry my bad, yeah, no idea, never heard of that happening

6. hallo23

hallo23 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Germany
    You should play around with the driver/video settings in retroarch. There are also specific core settings regarding the video settings. Just test around a bit.

1.Are you launching Retroarch with a .nsp/full ram access?
    2.Download this n64 core https://m4xw.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/n87e8ycGGgfTM6L and put in your retroarch\core folder on your sd card.

Last edited by hallo23, Mar 13, 2019
  7. spelda

spelda Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Singapore
    Hey guys, I have a question. I'm trying to install RetroArch as an .nsp via Tinfoil but I always get this error and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

For further information on how I modded to my Switch:

1. Bought it used (unmodded) on v7.0.1 and downgraded to v6.2 with AMS 0.8.4
    2. I could run RetroArch v1.7.6 through the album fine but wanted the full ram for n64
    3. I used the nro2nsp converter on my retroarch.nro file and tried to install it through tinfoil v0.2.1
    4. I always get the following attached error

Now I can't even use RetroArch through the album anymore. It loads up fine and I can select a game but as soon as I want to run it RetroArch crashes. I tried several different games (gba,nes,snes,gbc) and non of them work anymore even though they worked before (the screen just stays white several seconds while trying to load and then it crashes).

Hope someone knows what the problem is. Thanks for helping!

Attached Files:

8. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany
    Yea dont do any of this.
    Follow this guide https://docs.libretro.com/guides/install-libnx/

Bil and spelda like this.
  9. spelda

spelda Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Singapore
    Thanks a lot. I will follow this guide and let you know if it works ;)

Edit: I followed the guide and RetroArch works again! Thanks a lot, n64 games work as well :)

Last edited by spelda, Mar 14, 2019
  10. benjo

benjo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2017
    Austria
    So retroarch is not wor
    so retroarch is not working with reinx?
    just tryed to play ps1 game but it did not show the rom or any of the cores.
    i assume the cores are the bios files from the consoles.

11. hallo23

hallo23 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Germany
    PS1 game work with the "PCSX ReARMed" core.
    But for some reason RetroArch has problems with adding PS1 .bins to a playlist so you have to setup the playlist by yourself.

You can try and use the Playlist buddy for that:

ShadowOne333 and mikifantastik98 like this.
  12. mikifantastik98

mikifantastik98 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2018
    Italy
    Retroarch nro2nsp APP works very well.
    but...
    can only be installed with Goldleaf 0.5 (nightly)
    tinfoil does not install this type of nsp ... on FW 7.0.x

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

very good Tool !
    thanks !!!

FanboyKilla likes this.
  13. FanboyKilla

FanboyKilla GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2019
    United States
    I can confirm this as well. Nro2Nsp & Goldleaf is what I used. I got Full RAM Access and the RetroArch Icon right on the Home Screen.

[​IMG]

mikifantastik98 likes this.
  14. mikifantastik98

mikifantastik98 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2018
    Italy
    yeah !!! ;)
    2019031500084600-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.

FanboyKilla likes this.
  15. Link2811

Link2811 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2018
    France
    Haha, I did the same thing today, after searching and no finding anyone talking about that (I wanted to know if it works for N64)

It's working flawlessly ! ^_^

FanboyKilla likes this.
  16. ShadowOne333
    OP

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    So using nro2nsp to convert the retroarch.nro into an installable NSP gives full RAM access to it?

17. kylum

kylum GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2008
    United States
    Seems to! Working great for me. Although, I’ll let @m4xw chime in and let us know why we should/ shouldn’t be doing it.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  18. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    'Not supported' in this case does not mean that it doesn't work, it means support will not be provided if you have issues.

mikifantastik98 likes this.
  19. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    Just built some manual playlists for another system, so I have the search/replace codes ready. :)

The following relies on a texteditor (that supports regex (Regular expression), or grep) only. Notepad++ for example does.

Presuming you can get a list of all your filenames in the folder.

First search for:
    Code:
    \n
    and replace all with:
    Code:
    \n/media/retroarch/roms/n64/
    Where /media/retroarch/roms/n64/ is the systems local path where your roms are stored at (its different on the Switch - the line above is for my PS Classic).

This will add the path to every filename, except the first one (copy that in manually), the lines in your text file should now look like this:

/media/retroarch/roms/n64/007 - Golden Eye (U).zip

Then do the following search/replace and you will end up with a wellformed lpl file. The line for the crc checksum of each rom is blanked out (so Retroarch will not use it).

Search:
    Code:
    /media/retroarch/roms/N64/([^\n]+)\.zip
    Replace with:
    Code:
    /media/retroarch/roms/N64/\1\.zip\n\1\n/media/retroarch/cores/mupen64plus_libretro.so\nMupen64Plus\n\nNintendo - Nintendo 64.lpl
    Result will be:

/media/retroarch/roms/N64/007 - Golden Eye (U).zip
    007 - Golden Eye (U)
    /media/retroarch/cores/mupen64plus_libretro.so
    Mupen64Plus

Nintendo - Nintendo 64.lpl

for every game.

Replace with Core path, Core name and playlist name, as you see fit (for other systems). If your roms are not in .zip format, replace that as well.

Thats a thing of 10 seconds in a text editor. :) If you dont want to use the Playlistbuddy tool. :)

Last edited by notimp, Mar 15, 2019
  20. FanboyKilla

FanboyKilla GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2019
    United States
    It doesn't convert the NRO to an NSP, all you're doing is creating an NSP file that is basically a "Shortcut" that redirects to the OFFICIAL RetroArch NRO file. People keep confusing this with the NSP file that RetroArch came with once upon a time. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING! The original RetroArch NSP wasn't a "Shortcut" like when using Nro2Nsp, but instead it basically contained what is now in the NRO file.

He already responded to this question in the dynarec thread and the only reason given was "it's not future proof in any way". So I guess as long as you realize that using NSP forwarding might not work in the future then apparently there is no other reason to worry about it.

Like I said in the quote above, I think most people are confusing using the original RetroArch NSP as being the same as using Nro2Nsp, which are clearly two different things. With Nro2Nsp you're basically creating a "Shortcut" that simply redirects to the official "retroarch_switch.nro" file. Whereas the OFFICIAL RetroArch NSP that was available from RetroArch was NOT a "shortcut" that pointed to the NRO file, but instead it basically contained what is now in "retroarch_switch.nro". There was never an NRO file that

Just take a look at the file sizes...
    Original "Official" RetroArch NSP: 11 MB
    Current "Official" RetroArch NRO: 10 MB
    NSP file generated with Nro2Nsp: 609 KB

CLEARLY you can see that NSP files generated using Nro2Nsp do not contain the same data that the offical RA NSP did. That's because they are simply "Shortcuts" that point to the OFFICIAL "retroarch_switch.nro" file.

I have yet to experience ANY issues using these Nro2Nsp generated NSP's, and until someone comes forward and shows PROOF that using these Nro2Nsp are the devil, then I'm sticking with the more convenient solution.

Last edited by FanboyKilla, Mar 15, 2019
    ShadowOne333 likes this.