ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Anyone with some good Coding skills maybe able to help port RetroArch to LibNX?
I'll see if I can find someone willing to do so.
On the other hand, doesn't the NX HBL mention something about a possible integration and compatibility with libtransistor NROs in the future?

Edit:
Yes it does.
NX HBL Site said:
Does this run homebrew built with libtransistor?

Not at the moment. We will work with them to work it out.

My best bet would be to wait a little bit longer until they add support for libtransistor apps instead of porting the entire work already done to libnx.
Though it would still be in the best of interests to have build compatible with both libraries.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
(I posted this in the HBL thread, but I'll post it here as well to gain more attention of possibly interested people)

For anyone asking about RetroArch on the Switch:

At the moment, all of the RetroArch cores that have been compiled to work with the Switch use libtransistor to run.
The newly released HBL uses libnx-compiled apps ONLY (at the moment).

What does this mean?
Well, to get RetroArch running on the Switch HBL, we would need to have all of the already compiled libtransistor RetroArch cores ported/compiled with the libnx library.

If anyone skilled enough in coding wants to tackle this:

FCEUMM has a Switch target, this could be used as a base example to begin porting from LibTransistor to LibNX:
https://github.com/libretro/libretro-fceumm/blob/master/Makefile.libretro#L265

LibNX source code:
https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx

The best option here would be to have RetroArch to build its cores using both libtransistor and libnx for further compatibility down the road.

LibNX has a huge thing on its favour right now, and that is JIT.
With JIT, some of the slow cores that use more heavy resources than 2D consoles could see a major improvement in speed and performance.

So, I encourage people skilled enough in C/C++ to try to port libtransistor RetroArch cores to libnx.
Only that is stopping us from playing RetroArch on the HBL right now :)

Reactions: DarthDub and ploggy

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Out of sheer curiosity, anyone tried anything like ps1/ps2 yet?
None of the PlayStation cores have been compiled for the Switch sadly.
Neither for libtransistor nor libnx.

They have to add the proper libraries and add the Switch target to the core to try it out.
Right now there are two PSX cores that I know of, Beetle PSX and PSX ReARMed.
Both of which should be compatible with the ARM architecture the Switch has without much fiddling.

Though, someone still needs to add the proper code to compile said cores for RetroArch Switch.

Reactions: lordelan

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
so now ive got the homebrew launcher installed on 3.0.0 can i use this?
new to it all so i dont get all the terms being thrown around haha
RetroArch needs to be compiled with libnx instead of libtransistor to be used with the HBL
(I posted this in the HBL thread, but I'll post it here as well to gain more attention of possibly interested people)

For anyone asking about RetroArch on the Switch:

At the moment, all of the RetroArch cores that have been compiled to work with the Switch use libtransistor to run.
The newly released HBL uses libnx-compiled apps ONLY (at the moment).

What does this mean?
Well, to get RetroArch running on the Switch HBL, we would need to have all of the already compiled libtransistor RetroArch cores ported/compiled with the libnx library.

If anyone skilled enough in coding wants to tackle this:

FCEUMM has a Switch target, this could be used as a base example to begin porting from LibTransistor to LibNX:
https://github.com/libretro/libretro-fceumm/blob/master/Makefile.libretro#L265

LibNX source code:
https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx

The best option here would be to have RetroArch to build its cores using both libtransistor and libnx for further compatibility down the road.

LibNX has a huge thing on its favour right now, and that is JIT.
With JIT, some of the slow cores that use more heavy resources than 2D consoles could see a major improvement in speed and performance.

So, I encourage people skilled enough in C/C++ to try to port libtransistor RetroArch cores to libnx.
Only that is stopping us from playing RetroArch on the HBL right now :)

Reactions: Jimmay123

Jimmay123

Trophies
XP
Country
ah so there are different types of homebrew then really if ive got it right? libNX and lib transistor for different methods of exploiting or something like that? so the majority of brew is on the libtransistor not libNX

think i get it now its clearing up :)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
ah so there are different types of homebrew then really if ive got it right? libNX and lib transistor for different methods of exploiting or something like that? so the majority of brew is on the libtransistor not libNX

think i get it now its clearing up :)
Well it's mostly what each library has.
They are two different libraries, and it seems most homebrew made up to now has been mostly compiled using libtransistor.

The new HBL launches NROs compiled with libnx only, and libnx has JIT support which takes advantage of the Switch's hardware on a more efficient way, so that would help out a lot for the RetroArch cores.

Reactions: Jimmay123

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so now ive got the homebrew launcher installed on 3.0.0 can i use this?
new to it all so i dont get all the terms being thrown around haha
Please can you tell us how to getting hombrew launcher works please? Because you opened a thread about having errors.
Please tell us.

Jimmay123

Trophies
XP
Country
Please can you tell us how to getting hombrew launcher works please? Because you opened a thread about having errors.
Please tell us.
im gonna be honest ive got no idea how i managed to get it working i just kept trying and eventually it did the job after nearly smashing my switch with a hammer ive asked a mod to close the thread with the reason of I just kept trying

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi