Homebrew RetroArch Switch

CTBC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So The curse of Monkey Island is working well with ScummVM, but music is crackling a bit. Any settings I could tweak to fix that? been messing around with the setting in retroarch.. but nothing seems to improve it
I am unable to start ScummVM core from within retroarch but it works from its own .nro
Did you place any BIOS files or anything extra, or just run ?
Running latest nightly build with SXOS 1.6 with 5.1.0

Last edited by CTBC,

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am unable to start ScummVM core from within retroarch but it works from its own .nro
Did you place any BIOS files or anything extra, or just run ?
Running latest nightly build with SXOS 1.6 with 5.1.0
I'm running the retroarch NSP and launching the core from within retroarch, Didn't add any BIOS file

Reactions: CTBC

ciskohansen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In this way I have my config now

kNynpprl.jpg

LtPLGIyl.jpg

1xZAlmJl.jpg

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, BIOS files in proper place. Threaded video on, retroarch restarted. Still heavy crackling on the games I've tried: Castlevania SOTN, FFVIII, Suikoden II, and few other games I am forgetting.

No such issues for SNES, GEN emulation. Using 1.75 stable + .NSP launcher.

FFVIII works fine for me as long as my switch isn't doing anything else than playing the game. If you're downloading something while playing you will get sound crackling.

After playing with various settings that have been repeatedly suggested here (thanks to all), it appears to be an odd situation where the crackling is present no matter what during FMV intros (i.e., opening cinematics in Suikoden II, SOTN). However, once gameplay has started, everything is fine.

Weird.

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a insane cluster size. Thats your problem. Never use ANYTHING but 32kb for FAT32.
Any system but Windows will have troubles
Great. I was specifically told by someone in this thread to go 64KB. Good. Now that's changed. Awesome. Out of curiosity, why is 32KB the "good" one?

Also, I can elaborate on that thumbnail bug from earlier. Turns out it's not just with save states; it's also a perspective problem with game thumbnails as well. After customizing my playlists and thumbnails, eventually a thumbnail does not load, and then all subsequent thumbnails no longer load. Instead they simply show a completely black rectangle. The next action you perform, no matter what, will result in a crash 100% of the time.

I suppose disabling thumbnails across the board would be the best thing to do for stability's sake right now.

Not sure why this build has a problem with thumbnails, but someone with access to the code should definitely put them under a bit of scrutiny.

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great. I was specifically told by someone in this thread to go 64KB. Good. Now that's changed. Awesome. Out of curiosity, why is 32KB the "good" one?

Also, I can elaborate on that thumbnail bug from earlier. Turns out it's not just with save states; it's also a perspective problem with game thumbnails as well. After customizing my playlists and thumbnails, eventually a thumbnail does not load, and then all subsequent thumbnails no longer load. Instead they simply show a completely black rectangle. The next action you perform, no matter what, will result in a crash 100% of the time.

I suppose disabling thumbnails across the board would be the best thing to do for stability's sake right now.

Not sure why this build has a problem with thumbnails, but someone with access to the code should definitely put them under a bit of scrutiny.
Probably a broken thumbnail on your system bugging stuff out.
I recommend you to do a clean install, don't use old files from pre-formatting, make sure to transfer your savefiles/states etc

phillyrider807

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh i want to use it but not being able to use exfat(or risk corrupting my memory card) is a no go. Memory cards are too small to be carrying around multiples and as cool as playing psx games sound i probably won't play it more then a half hour.

Maybe if somehow dolphin is supported i'll check it out.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ehh i want to use it but not being able to use exfat(or risk corrupting my memory card) is a no go. Memory cards are too small to be carrying around multiples and as cool as playing psx games sound i probably won't play it more then a half hour.

Maybe if somehow dolphin is supported i'll check it out.
The exFAT problem is related to Nintendo's shitty driver for it, not Homebrew's fault.

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm running the retroarch NSP and launching the core from within retroarch, Didn't add any BIOS file
Unfortunately the games crashed at one point, first time I meet the oracle lady, talking about leaving my girlfriend on the beach as a frozen statue... crash log, can’t load some files... need to restart the switch. Tried two different source of the game.. same issue same spot.. exFat card here... no issue with the PSX games or any other

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably a broken thumbnail on your system bugging stuff out.
I recommend you to do a clean install, don't use old files from pre-formatting, make sure to transfer your savefiles/states etc
Pass. I'm not doing a "clean install" on a day I just did a clean install.

Hey, I know you just took a shower 3 hours ago, but it's been 3 HOURS! Take another shower!

What.

Okay, theatrics aside let me ask the question again, because the second time is usually the charm:
Why is 32KB cluster size a purported yet unexplained win-button?

Also, even if my specific setup somehow exacerbates potential bugs it would not create them from scratch. Bugs, no matter how unlikely to occur, should be legitimately investigated and handled. Telling a user to conform to specific standards, instead of just fixing your code, is simply unhelpful and inefficient. If these changes are so effective, they should be in the first post, or not even be considered to be the root of a problem.

Reactions: cYcLoNe_AUT

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty darn near playable super mario 64 playable to me but it does have slight frame dips (with shaders on tho)

To the folks saying im on exfat and having problems it has been explained several times exfat no good and will cause issues. But I would like to point out that there is truly now no need for exfat as thanks to the scene we have a way to split both xci and nsp and I can confirm both work great

bluedart please watch your tone and be more thorough if you go to my channel you will see hours of gameplay on the latest builds and frankly it's quite impressive if i say so myself. It's your setup bud. You gotta try and iron out the issues but it's basically how you use the software on the console not the software itself.

I think what helps me personally is I have been using software on the switch scene since day one. I know how picky and sensitive using modded files on the switch is. I don't feel you have an appreciation of this. Gosh in the early days I must have witnessed over 2000 pegaswitch crashes personally. Things are SO MUCH BETTER NOW. It's not even funny. But yes those issues with having a slightly incorrect config are there. This is a young scene. You can't expect such quality in such a short time.

Be respectful. Do not discourage future work from such fellows due to such whining.

Last edited by grabman,
Reactions: aboreal

phillyrider807

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exFAT problem is related to Nintendo's shitty driver for it, not Homebrew's fault.

Ahhhhh ok. Thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

pretty darn near playable super mario 64 playable to me but it does have slight frame dips (with shaders on tho)

To the folks saying im on exfat and having problems it has been explained several times exfat no good and will cause issues. But I would like to point out that there is truly now no need for exfat as thanks to the scene we have a way to split both xci and nsp and I can confirm both work great

bluedart please watch your tone and be more thorough if you go to my channel you will see hours of gameplay on the latest builds and frankly it's quite impressive if i say so myself. It's your setup bud. You gotta try and iron out the issues but it's basically how you use the software on the console not the software itself.

I think what helps me personally is I have been using software on the switch scene since day one. I know how picky and sensitive using modded files on the switch is. I don't feel you have an appreciation of this. Gosh in the early days I must have witnessed over 2000 pegaswitch crashes personally. Things are SO MUCH BETTER NOW. It's not even funny. But yes those issues with having a slightly incorrect config are these. This is a young scene. You can't expect such quality in such a short time.

Be respectful. Do not discourage future work from such fellows due to such whining.

Yea but what about people who already has multiple games already installed? I have over 160 gbs on my memory card right now and i already deleted the nsp files.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phillyrider807 i feel your pain i do I just wiped out a 256gb card cause of this issue.

For me it was noticing the issues with filesize ballooning specifically where I was like whoa exfat is problem.

So basically here's what happened. Nintendo needed bigger files since some games are like base game 9gb or 16gb but even then there are still a need for like 16gb or heck 20gb updates so they hastily released an exfat option. But it's totally borked. Forget homebrew. Just in general. So until they fix it it's just not the way to go. Did I realize this initially? HELL NO! M4XW was first person I read pointing it out. Then I have countless hours testing it on 2 switches.

IT IS PROBLEM.

Point blank period. So using it for anything is just not recommended. Can it work? Yes. But things like failed file deletions or copies or transfers I mean we are talking like really simple everyday things here can totally ruin the filesystem on an exfat card running homebrew on a nintendo switch. So I would have to suggest keeping backups of all your files and reformatting cards from exfat and splitting your files to fat32 compatible sections and believe you me the payoff is well worth it.

I keep a switch on exfat just for testing and comparison. It's just no comparison. For retroarch fat32 is the way to go until nintendo or a scene dev fixed the issue and to my knowledge gotta be nintendo in this case sad to say.

Reactions: phillyrider807

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country

I think what helps me personally is I have been using software on the switch scene since day one. I know how picky and sensitive using modded files on the switch is. I don't feel you have an appreciation of this. Gosh in the early days I must have witnessed over 2000 pegaswitch crashes personally. Things are SO MUCH BETTER NOW. It's not even funny. But yes those issues with having a slightly incorrect config are there. This is a young scene. You can't expect such quality in such a short time.

that looks pretty good, how did you get it to run so fast and smoothly. please can you post your settings :)

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair. Whenever I craft my posts I strive to remodel their rhetoric to be bereft of much of their unnecessary humanity. Even when it is clear that others do not share this imperative, I should not let that shake my resolve. I did. My apologies.

Also thanks for the perspective. Just 6 months ago, I wouldn't even have dreamed of any type of useful homebrew running on this thing. That's darn impressive. However, I have to point out that excessive work is no reason to accept inefficiencies. A programmer should always be attempting to grow their program and make their code more extensible. Even outside of what seems possible at the time.

Having said that, I've been working on this for approximately three days straight, and I suppose there's still more work ahead of me. I just reformatted my main 128GB SD card into fat32 (with a cluster size of 64KB) at the direct behest of some individuals on here and I'm now told to redo it. The prospect is not attractive to me, but I expect I will do it anyway. At least this time I know how to install larger games by chunking them up, since I've done that several times today.

I will ask this directly; this time in hope that I will get an answer. What is the difference and usefulness of a cluster size of 32KB vs 64KB? Is there a noticeable or tangible difference? Is it really worth all the trouble when the only thing I would gain is stable thumbnails? (When of course, disabling them should have the same effect.)

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my understanding is this varies by cards but basically you need to do this so files like rest or sit properly in the filesystem. I imagine a larger mirco sd might even request such a size (they may not yet exist tho). But if you are on a 128gb you have basically formatted it wrong.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...f-default-cluster-sizes-for-fat32-file-system

that's a link to the by the book article explaining your error. I hope it all makes sense.

Bigger files bigger clusters homey.

You done effed up...

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pass. I'm not doing a "clean install" on a day I just did a clean install.

Hey, I know you just took a shower 3 hours ago, but it's been 3 HOURS! Take another shower!
What??
You know that if u copy broken files from your disk and copy them back, they are still broken...
And if i tell u to use 32kb cluster, u better use 32kb cluster. Stop wasting my valueable time.

Last edited by m4xw,

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my understanding is this varies by cards but basically you need to do this so files like rest or sit properly in the filesystem. I imagine a larger mirco sd might even request such a size (they may not yet exist tho). But if you are on a 128gb you have basically formatted it wrong.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...f-default-cluster-sizes-for-fat32-file-system

that's a link to the by the book article explaining your error. I hope it all makes sense.

Bigger files bigger clusters homey.

You done effed up...
Well, there's no definitive information on that page, but I have a guess based on what you and other people have said. A larger cluster size would mean that smaller files have to be made up of significantly larger "clusters" and therefore they would be larger and read less efficiently as a result. An unnecessarily larger file might also tend to skew corrupt. Is this essentially correct? I did see that the default cluster size for fat32 over around 32 gigs is 32KB. I'm not really sure why 64KB is an option as, based on this supposition, I can't think of a useful reason to have it that high for an end user.

What??
You know that if u copy broken files from your disk and copy them back, they are still broken...
And if i tell u to use 32kb cluster, u better use 32kb cluster. Stop wasting my valueable time.
Okay.

D

Deleted User

Well, there's no definitive information on that page, but I have a guess based on what you and other people have said. A larger cluster size would mean that smaller files have to be made up of significantly larger "clusters" and therefore they would be larger and read less efficiently as a result. An unnecessarily larger file might also tend to skew corrupt. Is this essentially correct? I did see that the default cluster size for fat32 over around 32 gigs is 32KB. I'm not really sure why 64KB is an option as, based on this supposition, I can't think of a useful reason to have it that high for an end user.

Okay.
There is a pretty clear chart on that page mate

It shows you that you have formatted the card incorrectly

Look rif is key here mate let’s try to keep your posts short and actually read feedback given cause it is going to get old

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work