Homebrew RetroArch Switch

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I know I was here a while back, but my setup has changed and I've come back with a repeatable crash on fat32. I formatted my main card to fat32 just yesterday, got my games back, and put retroarch on here to see if it works better than before. Yeah, kinda. Although, apparently it still crashes on making/loading a save state sometimes.

I've only tested with thumbnails for savestates on, but any time I go into the menu while playing if the savestate thumbnail is black, then whatever I try to do will crash the switch and force a restart. 100% of the time. I would imagine this is repeatable on all switches. I'm still using the build that was released first on this thread. Is this something people have noticed or even found a way around?

Raikkonen94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm sorry if this is already answered somewhere, but does Retroarch on Switch also work with exFAT micro sd cards or only with FAT32 formatted cards? Because I'd like to play old classics, but not if I have to switch (no pun intended) sd cards every time.

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look guys I posted videos in the thread and the old one for a reason. To show people what's possible. Retroarch works fantastic.

Stuff that I am playing with little to no issue

SMS NES SNES GENESIS TURBO GRAPHIC 16 PCE CD SEGA CD GAME BOY GAME BOY COLOR GAME BOY ADVANCE NEO GEO POCKET COLOR PS1 GAME AND WATCH VIRTUAL BOY MAME 2003/2000 PFBA

32X works but is a little more than problematic with some roms not that their library isnt that great anyways

.PBP format is recommended for ps1. EXFAT will work but i would NEVER RECOMMEND because that filesystem has TREMENDOUS issues on NINTENDO SWITCH!

Reactions: Ace001

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Back for a short comment - then staying abstinent again for the remainder of the week.

First off, saying "I'm sorry" for not reading the thread then expecting someone else to do it for you, doesnt make it better. So eff this approach, and anyone who is still supporting it.

- @m4xw never allow the split controller value "on" to be stored. At leased not as the default (if you want to implement a persistent toggle - ok). We had the same conceptual problem with pfba and others, where people want to use split controllers in "single controller mode" - when they dock their switches. This should always be the default - otherwise, it causes heaps of confusion.

There are more people out there who dont own "pro" controllers, than people who will throw a hissy fit, because they have to enable an option every time they want to use split controller two player mode. Please consider this as well. (Default to split single is most important, whether you want to implement a toggle whose state can be saved is up to you.)

You now have one person complaining that they have to do something everytime they want to use split controller 2P mode, we've had dozens of people complain about not being able to "use" their switch in docked mode.

- For PSX emulation to work full speed or close to full speed in most games (with no audio issues) - the following settings have been proposed:

In any case
- enable threaded video
- use a bios - which has to be named in a certain way. Dont ask - read this thread. If you get infuriated by all the "help me, I dont wanna" postings you'll come across - welcome to the club.

In almost any case:
- enable switch-thread as the audio driver

In most cases: Disable v-sync, enable frame duping; (small performance increases)

Disputed: Disable dithering (Never increased performance in my case - but might? Try it - dont just ask "what is best?"). Increase Audio Latency (increasing audio latency above 64ms should not be needed - and should be seen as a tradeoff - so dont), disable framebuffer emulation (What? This time not even I am sure whats meant by that.. ;) ). Use the most current nightly (by the metric of "newer is better"? confirmed?). Delete the .cfg (sure, anytime you want to - but why -exactly?). // Switch the video driver to "switch" instead of "gl" (attention you also have to switch the gui driver to rgui, or your retroarch will blackscreen on the next startup (solved by deleting the .cfg)) - not sure if this helps any (is the core even affected?), but it was the first thing I tried on the new release - once I noticed that gl wasnt necessarily better for psxrearmed. Also - for the last one to "take" you have to restart reatroarch, after you changed the settings.

@m4xw: can you comment on if changing the video driver might result in different performance of the pcsxrearmed core, theoretically - or not?

- entirely optional:
convert your isos / bin/cues - into pbps. Someone mentioned an anecdotal performance increase (doubt it), but in any case - you will save notable amounts of discspace, so do it (settings for psx2pbp: classic mode, max compression).

if you use psx2pbp on games with multiple bin files per CD (f.e. seperate audio and data tracks), you have to use an additional step, described in here twice. Read up on it. Using psx2pbp and the extra step will not make games run, that dont run in their plain iso / bin/cue formats. So using psx2pbp is considered optional.

Dont download pbp files of the internet and complain that they dont work. Use original psx files, and convert them. There is a difference in compatibility.
--

Now back to the part where you flood the thread with hearsay, feels and "can you do this for me" requests - and my actively despising people who still support this culture - and therefore me still taking a timeout.

This whole "I support you! personally! longtime!" attitude actively lets people not care about the slightly more complex "big picture stuff" and thereby is actively responsible for overlooking already disected, known, and important information.

If you "are afraid to change settings, because it could make things worse.." please dont try to supplement this display of not wanting to read up on what settings actually do with "what is best recommendation farming" - because most people dont care if they give you a wrong answer. Even I stopped caring. Nevertheless - changing settings is required, and you can always get back to default by deleting the config.

Still actively despising the "forum culture" in here, so back to my selfproposed timeout.

If you are still in "trying to make it look pretty" mode with naming and scanning your games for cover images - may I suggest, that you dont care about the database stuff ("scanning games") until you found out, how to make stuff run properly? Just in case you have to delete configs and "start over". (For those who dont know: Scanning your games (= database stuff) is not needed at all for you to be able to run your games.)

edit: Also - i suggest you use 3:2 aspect ratio for most PSX games. Even 16:10 for some (wider). Those are the "best" compromises between attaining an assemblence to the intended aspect ratio (4:3) and "getting a bigger picture" on your switch screen (mostly in portable mode).

Last edited by notimp,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, BIOS files in proper place. Threaded video on, retroarch restarted. Still heavy crackling on the games I've tried: Castlevania SOTN, FFVIII, Suikoden II, and few other games I am forgetting.

No such issues for SNES, GEN emulation. Using 1.75 stable + .NSP launcher.

FFVIII works fine for me as long as my switch isn't doing anything else than playing the game. If you're downloading something while playing you will get sound crackling.

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Additional glitch: Sometimes when I boot up RetroArch no matter what rom I select it says "failed to load content" until I close the program and reopen. Good lord this port is glitchy. What settings are apparently verboten that I just don't know about? And again, I'm on a freshly formatted fat32 real 128GB card. I think I'll try that lastest nightly just in case...

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, I got caught out when I first tried setting up playlists for Switch, thought I could just edit my current WiiU playlists :P
A perfect indicator to start off on a new platform (like the Switch) is always playing 1 or 2 two games and have a look into the "history.lpl" afterwards.
That's how I adjusted my playlists on the PC in a few seconds and they worked out of the box with my romset.
Playlists are one of the best features of RetroArch. :)

Reactions: ploggy

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've had about enough of this. Now after closing the program it deleted my save and backup savestate I made for Minish Cap. This is not stable at all and it's really quite sad. Time to push that nightly and keep hitting my head against this wall!

Seriously, how is no one else having these problems when I'm trying my best here? I even switched to fat32 for this! Go on, try the save state glitch! It's very repeatable and crashes 100% of the time!

Fun aside: the PC version of RetroArch is freaking amazing!

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, I've had about enough of this. Now after closing the program it deleted my save and backup savestate I made for Minish Cap. This is not stable at all and it's really quite sad. Time to push that nightly and keep hitting my head against this wall!

Seriously, how is no one else having these problems when I'm trying my best here? I even switched to fat32 for this! Go on, try the save state glitch! It's very repeatable and crashes 100% of the time!

Fun aside: the PC version of RetroArch is freaking amazing!
So you played a game (Minish Cup), opened the RetroArch menu, went to "close content" in the quick menu and then "quit retroarch"?

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you played a game (Minish Cup), opened the RetroArch menu, went to "close content" in the quick menu and then "quit retroarch"?
Correct. I am in the habit of doing that. However, my switch seemed to freeze for some time and no buttons would respond when I pressed them after I chose "quit retroarch." I waited around 30 seconds, then tried all the buttons again, including the home menu button. Well, that still force-closed it apparently, but when I restarted retroarch it didn't load (as it does). After a few restarts of the program I got it to work, and my ram save was gone and when I tried to load the savestate (which still had the proper thumbnail) it simply said that it was loaded but nothing happened, which is what it does when the savestate is corrupted but the file is still there. Good Lord.

Still working on getting the latest nightly, which I will do as soon as my technology lets me. How much more stable is the latest version anyhow? Also, is the save state thumbnail setting something that doesn't work well on the switch? Perhaps it's another setting or two? Hey, I've spent the past two days trying to get this to work, sunk-lost is in full effect here!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs