Homebrew RetroArch - PS1

Clément

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I have RetroArch the homebrew launcher and would like PS1 games, can you tell me what type of file should be playing <snip>?

Last edited by raulpica, , Reason: READ THE RULES! -rp

Clément

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
From what i know, The file format for PSX games are ISO BIN, with CUE and umm... i thing there was one other but i fon't remember what it was.... oh wait it might be IMG format. Or probably not, i can't decide. :unsure:
I think I had already tried with a BIN file, I have not tried with ISO and CUE, when I tried I would tell you if it works or not

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I had already tried with a BIN file, I have not tried with ISO and CUE, when I tried I would tell you if it works or not
You need the CUE with the bin file, I think you have to load the cue, its just some type of instruction sheet to tell the system how to load and process data inside the bin file. I dunno if it saves space by compression or not but a Iso is easier to do since it doesn't need any extra files or knowledge.

This page should explain mostly how emulation and the game files work.
http://fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/emuhelp_epsxe.htm#loadingiso

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Clément

Clément

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need the CUE with the bin file, I think you have to load the cue, its just some type of instruction sheet to tell the system how to load and process data inside the bin file. I dunno if it saves space by compression or not but a Iso is easier to do since it doesn't need any extra files or knowledge.

This page should explain mostly how emulation and the game files work.
http://fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/emuhelp_epsxe.htm#loadingiso
Okay thank you !

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You also need the PSX BIOS file in the retroarch/cores/system folder on your SD card if you don't already have it.
I'll check

Last edited by Clément,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Since everyone seems to be recommending ISOs, I guess I'll be the one to disagree and say ISO is a garbage format for games on platforms where CD audio is a factor. An ISO is just a binary dump of a disc's data into a file, which means it's missing vital track information. Imagine if you dumped a music album to one single MP3, and then were like "OK, I want to listen to track four." But there no longer is a track four, you just have one giant track for the entire album. Now you get to seek through the hour of audio manually and search for when track four starts, because the single MP3 doesn't know or care.

Video games which use CD audio (i.e. tons of games on most CD-based game consoles) face the same problem--if you don't provide it that information (e.g. through BIN and CUE), the emulator has no idea where the CD audio tracks are or even whether or not there are any. And an emulator doesn't have the human ingenuity to just dig through and try to guess where the track starts or anything, either. When a game tries to play CD audio, the emulator will just go "Welp, I don't have any CD audio around as far as I know. Enjoy the silence."

Now, there are also a lot of games that don't use CD audio on PlayStation. Sequences, XA, some custom crap, whatever: that audio will play fine, so you might play a few games from ISO and get the impression that this is working great and you should keep doing it because it's worked out so far. But that's a short-sighted approach, and if you keep playing PlayStation games from ISOs you're going to run into a bunch of really dull games which have no music for some reason, and it'll be because of your format choice but you'll probably never know it.

Last edited by Vague Rant,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since everyone seems to be recommending ISOs, I guess I'll be the one to disagree and say ISO is a garbage format for games on platforms where CD audio is a factor. An ISO is just a binary dump of a disc's data into a file, which means it's missing vital track information. Imagine if you dumped a music album to one single MP3, and then were like "OK, I want to listen to track four." But there no longer is a track four, you just have one giant track for the entire album. Now you get to seek through the hour of audio manually and search for when track four starts, because the single MP3 doesn't know or care.

Video games which use CD audio (i.e. tons of games on most CD-based game consoles) face the same problem--if you don't provide it that information (e.g. through BIN and CUE), the emulator has no idea where the CD audio tracks are or even whether or not there are any. And an emulator doesn't have the human ingenuity to just dig through and try to guess where the track starts or anything, either. When a game tries to play CD audio, the emulator will just go "Welp, I don't have any CD audio around as far as I know. Enjoy the silence."

Now, there are also a lot of games that don't use CD audio on PlayStation. Sequences, XA, some custom crap, whatever: that audio will play fine, so you might play a few games from ISO and get the impression that this is working great and you should keep doing it because it's worked out so far. But that's a short-sighted approach, and if you keep play PlayStation games from ISOs you're going to run into a bunch of really dull games which have no music for some reason, and it'll be because of your format choice but you'll probably never know it.
That link seem to say "Not available in my country" Also i did recognize bin/cue as a option, and no one was RECOMMENDING Iso, we was listing:mellow: which files the emulators can accept to play games.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@Sonic Angel Knight The link is just to a song by Depeche Mode called "Enjoy the Silence", it's not actually relevant to anything other than the fact that I happened to use those words. This alternative URL should work in the USA.

People have definitely been recommending ISOs, though. The first reply flatly listed ISO and no other options, someone else literally said "I'd recommend using ISO [...]". I'm not mad about it or anything, it's fine that not everybody knows the details of every file format. I'm just offering a counter-recommendation and the reasoning behind it.

Reactions: raulpica

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sonic Angel Knight The link is just to a song by Depeche Mode called "Enjoy the Silence", it's not actually relevant to anything other than the fact that I happened to use those words. This alternative URL should work in the USA.

People have definitely been recommending ISOs, though. The first reply flatly listed ISO and no other options, someone else literally said "I'd recommend using ISO [...]". I'm not mad about it or anything, it's fine that not everybody knows the details of every file format. I'm just offering a counter-recommendation and the reasoning behind it.
I can understand your not mad. i was just pointing out that i notice no recommendation. Someone stated iso and no other alternative, it didn't accept it as recommended, it was just stating what file format the emulator accepts. I Listed iso bin cue and img as possible file formats simply cause i recognize it as emulator use. While file formats may matter in some cases, the emulator seems to not be too picky on which of them to use. I use any of them with the epsxe emulator and had zero problem with audio issues or silence. I dunno much about the audio programing make up of some games, except that Some use some PSF audio compression, Some use the XA or ADX whichever it is, like most capcom games with the q-sound audio, and some use that aver trex or what ever. Some games have audio stored differently that works in audio cd players i noticed, most game have them stored in a combined file format that has seperate internal files within the disc telling it how to handle the one file by reading portions of the data at specific times.

Weather or not is all true, is just a lot to understand. Yes Bin/Cue is a lot cleaner in the way it functions to dictate system what instructions and how to handle the file formats, but not all games require or need it, as far as i can tell in the emulator i used. You are correct that is not the only option available and may be better ones. But it is probably easier for people to deal with if they just want something simple or not much concern about it. I'm sure if they have any problems and wanna fix it, they will be willing to learn more. :)

Clément

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you search "PSX BIOS" on Google you should find it very easily. I'd recommend using ISO since it's one file instead of two.
I downloaded a game on a site where there are "ISO" yesterday, but there was no ISO file inside, there was just 3 BIN files differentiated by " (Track 1) , (Track 2) (Track 3) "and the name of the game is just before. If not within the compressed file, I think there was another compressed file that contains a file CUE.

I downloaded the PSX BIOS file and I put the " SCPH7003.bin " file in the folder retroarch / cores / system . I downloaded Tekken 3 and I put 2 files: BIN and CUE . When I go on RetroArch he wrote there "No items"

Last edited by Clément,

Clément

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry people, I thought the RetroArch the homebrew launcher works with the PS1 but in fact it only works on NES. I did not know that there were several homebrew RetroArch. (I have QuickNES)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning