Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it safe/wise to dump all your ROMs in the UR: directory ? I heard there's an extra 2GB of space in there, but was wondering if you could easily access it and if there was any danger of overwriting system files.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm pretty disappointed that even SNES9x 2010 runs worse on the Vita than my shitty Xperia Play. Yes there is the faster CATSFC, but this has other issues. It's like nobody makes any effort in an attempt to optimize their code for the Vita. Clearly the Vita is more capable than a 3DS, yet both SNES9x ports of 3DS and Vita run equally bad, proving that retroarch is all about lazy porting of as much emulators as possible. What the Vita needs is something like Drastic DS. An emulator coded from scratch with the Vita's architecture in mind. But the chances of that ever happening are as bad as the chances of Sony restocking the Vita.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it safe/wise to dump all your ROMs in the UR: directory ? I heard there's an extra 2GB of space in there, but was wondering if you could easily access it and if there was any danger of overwriting system files.
U know what I DID... & EVERYTHING works great... The odd thing is I could not copy anything To UR/dir.. But after the 1.41 Vita shell update I could... But it's works fine I used 2.2 gigs of games there and left 300mb free... I read on reddit.. U should leave at least 200mb.. But 2.2 gigs Of retro games is a lot! & just change the directiory of retroarch..

Last edited by SuperDan,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty disappointed that even SNES9x 2010 runs worse on the Vita than my shitty Xperia Play. Yes there is the faster CATSFC, but this has other issues. It's like nobody makes any effort in an attempt to optimize their code for the Vita. Clearly the Vita is more capable than a 3DS, yet both SNES9x ports of 3DS and Vita run equally bad, proving that retroarch is all about lazy porting of as much emulators as possible. What the Vita needs is something like Drastic DS. An emulator coded from scratch with the Vita's architecture in mind. But the chances of that ever happening are as bad as the chances of Sony restocking the Vita.
You can use the standalone version of catsfc that was ported over from rejuvenate to henkaku. As far as i know that works fine. Also, it seems like if its not pc or android/ios, then i wouldnt expect anything that is ported to anything else to be optimized for that certain hardware as far as retroarch is concerned for the most part.

Last edited by cvskid,
D

Deleted User

I wanna answer to you, then I remembered I had only two hours today as free time (after works, family life). So I erased my answer and now I'll go to play gta5 :)
You know, the erased answer was about working 7h by day and eventually add 2,3,4,5 hours to do your wishes. Not so constructive.

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country

Retroarch is a welcomed option on the PS vita.
What would we have on the vita without it? A handful of emulators?
As you already know it's made by dedicated people using their time to port this to the vita so i think we should commend them for their efforts.

I for one like the idea of a multi platform emulator and enjoy installing the new updates to find out whats been added or whats working or broke.

Reactions: SuperDan

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Retroarch is a welcomed option on the PS vita.
What would we have on the vita without it? A handful of emulators?
As you already know it's made by dedicated people using their time to port this to the vita so i think we should commend them for their efforts.

I for one like the idea of a multi platform emulator and enjoy installing the new updates to find out whats been added or whats working or broke.
I agree we should be thankful that Retroarch exists for Vita. Still it doesn't change the fact that Retroarch runs like shit. As said, no platform specific optimatisation is done and what's also bad is its filesize. The standalone CATSFC for example is just 1 MB something whereas the retroarch version is a cluttered 9MB and installs files to the system that are unrelated to your particular emulator.

D

Deleted User

Still it doesn't change the fact that Retroarch runs like shit.

It's your opinion. Personnally I like how it run so well for me.

As said, no platform specific optimatisation is done

RetroArch is meant to be portable... And some emulators already have great optimization, for example pcsx rearmed use the neon renderer.

The standalone CATSFC for example is just 1 MB something whereas the retroarch version is a cluttered 9MB and installs files to the system that are unrelated to your particular emulator.

The port of catsfc did not use so much graphics (mostly text, lines...) and also use older libs. Retroarch use a lot of graphics and have to ship the entire GUI system and the available drivers in the executable.

themyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just use the older builds ... & im still very impressed with RA ...i find mGBA 5.1 is much smoother than RA's GBA emulator ,.. but apart from all my games are totally playable

Agreed, mGBA can actually run Golden Sun almost full speed whereas any of the RA GBA emulators cannot.

I find that the PSP is a better machine for emulation for everything except GBA and SNES currently. The standalone emulators have more features and are generally more reliable.

Reactions: SuperDan

pralima87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
RA vita progress is kind of on hold I think.
If you look at the commits is mostly general updates and nothing really specific related to the vita anymore.
So RA is missing some dev to spend time making commits to the vita platform.
Otherwise is best to keep the old builds that were very vita focused.

Steve_C78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you know if retroarch work with rom zip file? For example CPS1, CPS2, SNES ecc..?
If I put this file into folder ROMS it don't see him?

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I update the emulators? Do I just delete the bubble that I have, and then install the latest version? If I do that will I lose the settings and save states?

BlackHeartV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How do I update the emulators? Do I just delete the bubble that I have, and then install the latest version? If I do that will I lose the settings and save states?

You only need to install the newest vpk., it automatically overwrites the previous installation and all your settings and saves are kept.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ayntec.com/products/odin2-mini