Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

BobSaget1945

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, so buggy. I have the retro arch .cia installed on a new3ds XL. Luma (newest) + b9s (newest). I tried to open a game, it crashed, now I cannot open the program anymore. Any time I try, it just gets a black screen, then will exit after about 30 seconds. Turning the system off then turning it on does nothing to fix the problem. Neither does uninstalling and reinstalling the cia. There must be a file I have to delete on the sd card.

Edit: I fixed it by installing another .cia (for the NES or GBA emulator), by restarting retroarch in one of those emulator builds, then exiting from the main menu within the program.

Last edited by BobSaget1945,

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ugh, so buggy. I have the retro arch .cia installed on a new3ds XL. Luma (newest) + b9s (newest). I tried to open a game, it crashed, now I cannot open the program anymore. Any time I try, it just gets a black screen, then will exit after about 30 seconds. Turning the system off then turning it on does nothing to fix the problem. Neither does uninstalling and reinstalling the cia. There must be a file I have to delete on the sd card.

Edit: I fixed it by installing another .cia (for the NES or GBA emulator), by restarting retroarch in one of those emulator builds, then exiting from the main menu within the program.

Is the .3dsx more stable at all? I can't do a damn thing without this program crashing.

Take a look at the instructions given in the link provided in my sig.
If you can run .cia's, it's recommended. Way better performance in my experience.

But if you want to use the .3dsx, make sure you delete the configuration generated by the .cia version. This could cause some weird issues.

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
He already figured out himself the needed to launch a core first. Looking at his edit.
But i already have this this covered in a simple installation guide.

Just to clarify again, the 'retroarch.cia' is just a shortcut to launch your last loaded .cia core. It won't do anything on itself.

navi_1er

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can someone give a basic simple rundown on how to use retroach? I primarily want to know if the gpSP is able to play rom hacks like fire red and how I make it run and such.

BobSaget1945

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He already figured out himself the needed to launch a core first. Looking at his edit.
But i already have this this covered in a simple installation guide.

Just to clarify again, the 'retroarch.cia' is just a shortcut to launch your last loaded .cia core. It won't do anything on itself.
ahhh ok cool. Thanks for explaining the function of the retro arch .cia. Sorry for being such an idiot. So one more thing, I was trying to change the controls and I believe I changed a setting to use a controller, and now none of the buttons, d-pad, control stick or anything will work. Is there a configuration file on the sd card that I can delete?

Edit: I just got onto the sd card. Inside the retroarch folder, there were two configuration files that I deleted. That did the trick, I'm back to controlling as normal now.

Edit 2: Wow it just happened again. I wish it were possible to disable addition of a gamepad. Because as soon as you change the setting, bam you have already lost your controls. The only way I know of to fix it (as of now) is to go into the sd card and delete the configuration files. I wish changing the button layout were more user friendly on here.

BobSaget1945

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can someone give a basic simple rundown on how to use retroach? I primarily want to know if the gpSP is able to play rom hacks like fire red and how I make it run and such.
I would assume that it definitely can play rom hacks, providing the core was compatible with the original rom (gpsp seems to have pretty decent compatibility, so my guess is yeah). Follow this guide here http://gbatemp.net/threads/unofficial-3ds-retroarch-builds-compatibility-thread.462252/#setup.

1. So basically, put the roms you want to play on your sd card.
2. Download the latest stable version of the retro arch emulator (apparently the .cia version is the best)
3. There should be a retroarch folder you just downloaded, put that on the root of your sd card.
4. There should be another folder with .cia files, put that into the cia folder on your sd card
5. Using the fbi program (the cia installer) on you 3ds, install whatever core you want to run (in your case, the gpSP)
6. Open the newly installed gpsp cia on your device
7. Inside the program you will find a place where you can load up the roms you put on your sd card from step 1.
8. Play the games.

Also, I think you need a bios file for gpsp, but that's in the instructions of the original page of this thread.

Reactions: navi_1er

navi_1er

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would assume that it definitely can play rom hacks, providing the core was compatible with the original rom (gpsp seems to have pretty decent compatibility, so my guess is yeah). Follow this guide here http://gbatemp.net/threads/unofficial-3ds-retroarch-builds-compatibility-thread.462252/#setup.

1. So basically, put the roms you want to play on your sd card.
2. Download the latest stable version of the retro arch emulator (apparently the .cia version is the best)
3. There should be a retroarch folder you just downloaded, put that on the root of your sd card.
4. There should be another folder with .cia files, put that into the cia folder on your sd card
5. Using the fbi program (the cia installer) on you 3ds, install whatever core you want to run (in your case, the gpSP)
6. Open the newly installed gpsp cia on your device
7. Inside the program you will find a place where you can load up the roms you put on your sd card from step 1.
8. Play the games.

Also, I think you need a bios file for gpsp, but that's in the instructions of the original page of this thread.
So I need to install both the core file and the cia via FBI?

BobSaget1945

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I need to install both the core file and the cia via FBI?
You need to put the retroarch folder on the root of your sd card. Inside the retroarch folder, you will see all the .core files. Leave all of those in there, and leave the retroarch folder as it is and copy the whole thing to the root of your sd card. In addition to that, yes, you need to install the cia of the core you wish to use (using FBI).

navi_1er

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to put the retroarch folder on the root of your sd card. Inside the retroarch folder, you will see all the .core files. Leave all of those in there, and leave the retroarch folder as it is and copy the whole thing to the root of your sd card. In addition to that, yes, you need to install the cia of the core you wish to use (using FBI).
Thanks, I got it running. While playing games is there an ingame menu I can use to save states or exit the game? Also how would I run rom hacks like fire red when receiving the 1mb error if possible to fix on gpSP

BobSaget1945

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I got it running. While playing games is there an ingame menu I can use to save states or exit the game? Also how would I run rom hacks like fire red when receiving the 1mb error if possible to fix on gpSP
Yes, when you are in a game, touch the bottom part of the lower screen. And, if you want the debug menu to go away while you are playing, touch the top part of the bottom screen. As far as the 1mb error, I don't know because I haven't tried it myself. You could try the mGBA emulator, perhaps you will have better luck with that.

BobSaget1945

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offense to the developers or anything, but this is so incredibly buggy that I hope another solution for 3ds emulation comes out. I can't change the controls without crashing a few times. I can't build a playlist properly without it crashing, or not working (and it takes almost an hour to load 60 or so roms into a playlist). If I mess with hardly any of the settings, it will tell me there are no cores available (wtf?) and I won't be able to launch the game. It really sucks the fun out of everything. I say this not to complain, but to point out bugs. It's taken me hours and hours and I still can't get things set up the way that I like them, because every time I try to change the controls or something it breaks something else.

Reactions: plug313

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No offense to the developers or anything, but this is so incredibly buggy that I hope another solution for 3ds emulation comes out. I can't change the controls without crashing a few times. I can't build a playlist properly without it crashing, or not working (and it takes almost an hour to load 60 or so roms into a playlist). If I mess with hardly any of the settings, it will tell me there are no cores available (wtf?) and I won't be able to launch the game. It really sucks the fun out of everything. I say this not to complain, but to point out bugs. It's taken me hours and hours and I still can't get things set up the way that I like them, because every time I try to change the controls or something it breaks something else.

Start fresh with the old 1.3.2/3 stable build. You wont have pretty icons and banners but you will have better performance from the cores themselves.

I would never ever recommend using a build that was dated after mid March 2016.

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Start fresh with the old 1.3.2/3 stable build. You wont have pretty icons and banners but you will have better performance from the cores themselves.

I would never ever recommend using a build that was dated after mid March 2016.

Please share with us, what you mean by better performance from the cores themselves?

Yeah, less options means, less chance on user errors and crashes. But games aren't running any faster in my experience.
The cores which are able to run games at full speed, still do this. The cores which aren't able to run games at full speed, still don't.

Setting up the new menu options can be troublesome, but when done right, it runs a-ok.
When using the core-specific and game-specific settings the right way, together with PC-generated playlists, you'll have a much more complete 'RetroArch' experience.

I certainly recommend using 1.4+, but that's my humble opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay