Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, N3DS is great, but given a choice of emulation on the PSP or o3DS, you'll probably have a better time with the PSP. NesterJ, MasterBoy, and PicoDrive still work great; TempGBA4PSP and Snes9xTYLmecm_mod work great as well and they're still getting updates. I'd rather just use my PSP Brite instead of invest $150 for slightly better emulation. I'm sure I'd prefer a N3DS over my PSP as RetroArch is nicely polished on the 3DS, but I have an o3DS and don't think the investment is worth it.

I'm a big fan of the PSP. It didn't start out that way, but I got a PSP-3000 a couple of years ago and fell in love with it. It's so easy to hack, and the emulators run surprisingly well considering its age. It's frankly a little embarrassing that Nintendo's first stab at the 3DS doesn't measure up to the PSP in some respects.

I do have a New 3DS XL, but I'm hesitant to experiment with it the way I have my Old 3DS. RXtools would run better on my New 3DS, I'm sure, but the thought of accidentally bricking the machine horrifies me. So for now I'm just happy to use the Ocarina of TIme 3D hack and use the Old 3DS for heavy duty hacking.

GorrillaRIBS

Gigyas became tame
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Myself, I still use both my PSP (go!, as my 3000 recently died) and my N3DS regularly, but for different things. General emulation (everything up to 16 bit consoles and the GBA) has moved to my N3DS, as it's generally stable and runs far better than it did on the PSP. However, I don't think the 3DS will ever be at the level of the PSP for, well, PlayStation games (PSX & PSP), and the homebrew scene for the 3DS is pretty active now (if not with emulators), and will optimistically endure almost as long as the PSP's.

Bottom line, my N3DS and PSP coexsist quite happily.

Kubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a big fan of the PSP. It didn't start out that way, but I got a PSP-3000 a couple of years ago and fell in love with it. It's so easy to hack, and the emulators run surprisingly well considering its age. It's frankly a little embarrassing that Nintendo's first stab at the 3DS doesn't measure up to the PSP in some respects.

I do have a New 3DS XL, but I'm hesitant to experiment with it the way I have my Old 3DS. RXtools would run better on my New 3DS, I'm sure, but the thought of accidentally bricking the machine horrifies me. So for now I'm just happy to use the Ocarina of TIme 3D hack and use the Old 3DS for heavy duty hacking.

If you've got some homebrew experience, you probably won't brick your device; this is simply because you pay attention to the warnings involved more than others. Personally, I bought my N3DS because I knew there would be a good homebrew scene for it, so we probably have different reasons for owning one. I guess my point is that you can have the best of both worlds with the N3DS. The only issue is figuring out the terminology and finding up-to-date programs and instructions for 3DS homebrew. In my experience, the N3DS has been the most difficult machine to mod out of everything I've messed with for the last decade, but its returns have been worth it.

As for the whole retroarch business, I'm glad its here because its progress has been exponentially faster and consistent (holistically, because individual core progress varies) than most homebrew projects.

Domiku

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When playing Super Bomberman 2 on PocketSNES (on a N3DS), pressing a button makes the input for that button stop working until you press another button. To add to that, Super Mario All-Stars on the same emulator has nonworking inputs after entering one of the games. Snes9x Next doesn't have this issue but games don't run full speed. I injected Super Bomberman 2 in a SNES Virtual Console title but random slowdowns occur during gameplay.

I have searched for a long time for a fix and only found this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=79083
However, I can't make it work.

Is there a way to fix input issues on PocketSNES (RetroArch) for multiplayer games like Super Bomberman 2 and Super Mario All-Stars?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, N3DS is great, but given a choice of emulation on the PSP or o3DS, you'll probably have a better time with the PSP. NesterJ, MasterBoy, and PicoDrive still work great; TempGBA4PSP and Snes9xTYLmecm_mod work great as well and they're still getting updates. I'd rather just use my PSP Brite instead of invest $150 for slightly better emulation. I'm sure I'd prefer a N3DS over my PSP as RetroArch is nicely polished on the 3DS, but I have an o3DS and don't think the investment is worth it.
I'm not really sure I agree. Both CATSFC and PocketSNES are lightyears ahead of Snes9x TYLmecm in terms of speed, compatibility and accuracy, In fact, they're full speed on almost all non-chip enchanced games (Yoshi's Island is essentially full speed in PocketSNES). The same goes for gpSP. And Picodrive now boasts SVP (full speed) and 32X support on the 3DS. I think people simply view emulators on the PSP through rose-tinted specs - they were definately a generation behind what we have now on the N3DS.

I understand the unwillingness to upgrade to a N3DS and quite frankly, for 'official' games it's certainly not worth it. However, it is a massive improvement over the O3DS for homebrew. I was reluctant to upgrade but it's the best thing I did. By far my favourite handheld for homebrew.

Last edited by sj33,

Kubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When playing Super Bomberman 2 on PocketSNES (on a N3DS), pressing a button makes the input for that button stop working until you press another button. To add to that, Super Mario All-Stars on the same emulator has nonworking inputs after entering one of the games. Snes9x Next doesn't have this issue but games don't run full speed. I injected Super Bomberman 2 in a SNES Virtual Console title but random slowdowns occur during gameplay.

I have searched for a long time for a fix and only found this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=79083
However, I can't make it work.

Is there a way to fix input issues on PocketSNES (RetroArch) for multiplayer games like Super Bomberman 2 and Super Mario All-Stars?

Did you try enabling Swap Joypads in CATSFC's core options?

Domiku

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Core options are only available once you start a game. Once you boot Bomberman or Allstars, enter the retroarch menu. Core Options appears towards the bottom.
It did fix Allstars but Super Bomberman 2 still has the same issue. You press one button and the input for it stops working until you press another one.

shade692003

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i'm having some weird flickering going on with the lastest gpSP nightly build with either Pokemon Fire Red or Super Mario Advance 4 (haven't tried more games, but the same issue is present on those mentioned games). It's like a whole row of pixels near the top of the window is glitching out. I tried messing a bit with the video settings (vsync on/off/black frame insertion, scaling, etc.) Nothing seems to affect it. Anyone got this issue with the lastest build? Installed as .cia.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really sure I agree. Both CATSFC and PocketSNES are lightyears ahead of Snes9x TYLmecm in terms of speed, compatibility and accuracy, In fact, they're full speed on almost all non-chip enchanced games (Yoshi's Island is essentially full speed in PocketSNES). The same goes for gpSP. And Picodrive now boasts SVP (full speed) and 32X support on the 3DS. I think people simply view emulators on the PSP through rose-tinted specs - they were definately a generation behind what we have now on the N3DS.

I understand the unwillingness to upgrade to a N3DS and quite frankly, for 'official' games it's certainly not worth it. However, it is a massive improvement over the O3DS for homebrew. I was reluctant to upgrade but it's the best thing I did. By far my favourite handheld for homebrew.
I was talking about comparing o3DS to PSP. On o3DS, the only viable SNES emulator is blargSnes, which is great in its own right but currently can't compare to Snes9xTYLmecm_mod. I agree the N3DS is better, but I don't want to drop $150+ for slightly better emulation when my PSP fits in my bag just fine. If I didn't already have my PSP or my o3DS, I'd definitely go for a N3DS.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got some homebrew experience, you probably won't brick your device; this is simply because you pay attention to the warnings involved more than others.

Well, I do try to follow instructions. And I was successful hacking my Old 3DS, and my PSPs, and my Wii, and the Wii half of my Wii U, and I put a mod chip into my Saturn... but I've bricked devices before too. My LG Tribute for instance. Say hi, LG Tribute!

"Durr!"

Uh, yeah.

Anyhoo, I'll give softmodding my New 3DS some thought. I'd prefer to use the Ocarina of Time 3D hack for now, but I suspect it won't work forever. When I hit a roadblock with that, I may not have any other options. I've got to have access to Nintendo's online services, though. I use Miiverse all the time and I'd rather not sacrifice that for Super NES games I can play on a half-dozen other systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries