Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a known issue. For the moment you should use the 6th February release.
I tried those last night and for whatever reason, they didn't work for me. I had to use the 1.3 Official release for them to not constantly crash and give me issues. I'm on a CFW n3DS with the .CIAs, so I dunno if that makes a difference.

^Per-core settings is something we've been requesting for months for this reason, myself included.

We can only assume that it must be more difficult to implement than it sounds.
Dang. I love how nice and quickly these emulators run on the n3DS. It's truly the best Handheld emulation I've dabbled in. I loved my PSP, but this is a step above.

That one issue is the only glaring flaw I can see with the emulators.

Also, unrelated, but has the OP not been updated in a while? I see no mention of "PocketSNES" yet it's absolutely wonderful speed-wise. Yoshi's Island runs a (mostly) Consistent 60FPS. And it seems to even run some SMW hacks that CatSFC fails to run at all.

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What has been going on with the latest nightlies?
They used to work pretty fine up until that recent audio change..

The latest nightly for both Gpsp and Gambatte still crash at load content. Whenever I try to load up a ROM?? What is currently the most stable nightly release for these two?

edit:
Nevermind I read back the last few pages.
I guess that 02/06 is the best nightly at the moment.

Last edited by Cloud9Skywalker,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What has been going on with the latest nightlies?
They used to work pretty fine up until that recent audio change..

The latest nightly for both Gpsp and Gambatte still crash at load content. Whenever I try to load up a ROM?? What is currently the most stable nightly release for these two?

edit:
Nevermind I read back the last few pages.
I guess that 02/06 is the best nightly at the moment.

I'm not entirely sure. The commit I found fixed it on my end, but I guess the buildbot is still screwy, or there are even more commits past the one I found that still break it.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If so, why are there even nightly builts if none of them has worked for 10 days?

The buildbot doesn't and can't know if there are problems, so it just keeps on churning out builds if they're able to be compiled. TwinAphex said most of the code breaking stuff should be finished soon, so I imagine we'll see stable nightlies again in a week or two. No big deal.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having problems playing a mode 7 game on gpsp stable 1.3. Sprites usually glitch out, and sometimes makes the 3ds crash and reboot. It's a little bit annoying. Is there any setting I could touch to improve the emulation a bit? At least skip the full crash thing, as the game is playable even with glitched sprites. The game is the EUR version of Penny Racers (It's really fun, try it!).

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I have a few questions.

1) What's up with the random resolutions that these emulators claim the games to be running in? Many are now claiming 960x720, (Once I saw FBA claims 1080x720 for Neo Geo games.) Is it really rendering at this and then downscaling? It doesn't make any sense and there are a number of framerate performance issues I'm experiencing with certain SegaCD games that nobody seems to be having.

2) Does using DSP sound actually take any of the load off and allow the emulators more access to the resources saved? Or does it make the emulation perform worse? Does it make a difference at all? Is audio quality better? Is audio quality worse? I can't tell a difference between it enabled or not.

3) Can anybody run Neo Geo games on the 2/06 build? I can't get a single game to load. It always crashes when loading a rom gets to:

[libretro ERROR] :: [FBA] ROM index 128 was not found
Retroarch
:: Failed to load content.
Retroarch [INFO] :: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.
Retroarch
:: Failed to start audio driver. Will continue without audio.

4) Since we still have to share settings across all cores, is there a way to turn video filters OFF? It seems once you select one, there's no way to turn them off. This makes it impossible for me to switch between running 8/16-Bit games with Scale2x on and then switching to PS1/CPS2 emulation without deleting the settings and starting fresh with no video filter enabled

5) I swear someone said that CPS3 games worked (somewhat) - What do these run in, the full FBA? I got vanilla SF3 running at about 50FPS, but none of the CPS3 games are really playable. What settings are these supposed to be at in order to be playable?

6) Is there a running list of RetroArch features that do NOT work? Anywhere that shows if any of those features are in progress or not? There's so many options I see in the menus that are taunting me ( local wireless play =o~~~ )

7) I don't bother with MAME2000, MAME2003, or FBA full - it just seems that there are way too many games that don't work and I already end up hard rebooting several times every single time I play with these emulators because of the inevitable crashes. Is there a running compatibility list for these anywhere? Is there a .zip of all the games that DO work for these emulators anywhere?

8) I also don't use the MSX or DOSBox emulators - these two in particular seem to require advanced configuration on a game-by-game basis due to the nature of these emulators. Is there any tutorials or 3DS-specific compatibility lists for these emulators anywhere?

9) Is savestate the only way to save for any system? I could have sworn that SRAM saving used to work for some of the older systems, but that doesn't work at all any more.

10) Since the screenshot feature doesn't work, is there any other way to take screenshots of games?

11) What specific settings is everyone using for SegaCD games? I can't seem to get any to run at full speed ever, regardless of what settings I select. I am using N3DS + .CIA version of the 2/06 builds.

12) Does PS1 work at all any more? Every game I load that used to be playable now has audio only and a blank screen, and is reporting framerates of 30-45 instead of 50-60.

13) Any news on Virtual Boy emulation being worked on further? I want to play thi more than any other system! Handheld 3D Virtual Boy emulation would be a dream come true.

Thanks for all the help in advance. I have many more questions, but I'll save them for a later date.

Last edited by chango,

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would still like to find out why there are some of us (I know I cant be the only one), who cant use any of the newer Builds because none of the Buttons work and the Frame Counter is the only thing going Up.

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I would still like to find out why there are some of us (I know I cant be the only one), who cant use any of the newer Builds because none of the Buttons work and the Frame Counter is the only thing going Up.

Do you even read this thread? Its been mentioned at least 20 times in the last few pages. No build since 2/06 works at all.

Reactions: aostang

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even the ones before that. Tried some in December, and January. Stuck on a November 8 Build

Edit: While I will see if the Stable Build from Jan will work, here are some Alternate RA Icons or Screen Images that could be used

Edit II:
Nope. Even the Stable 3DS CIA Installers dont work for some reason. Even deleted the CFG File for a fresh Install. Installed the 8 November Build again, but kept the Stable January Build's CFG File. Everything worked fine. Controls worked as they should. Which means, it is something wrong with the Builds

Attachments

• 01 RA Icon Images 2.jpg
    01 RA Icon Images 2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,314
  • 01 RA Icon Images 3.jpg
    01 RA Icon Images 3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 01 RA Icon Images.jpg
    01 RA Icon Images.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 656
  • cps2.png
    cps2.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Mame.png
    Mame.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 336
Last edited by Smoker1,

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody know if the final fantasy vii nes hack would work with retroarchs nes emus?

It boots up on the FCEUmm and Nestopia cores, but causes a crash and restart on QuickNES. I have yet to actually play through it, so I don't know if there will be any problems that'll come up later on.

Last edited by Heimdallr,
Reactions: soetem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: by their standards, yes