Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Tyrant82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks!

Also, anyone know a good way to improve the frame rate on the PS1 emulator? FF7 is a bit slower than I expected.

Asked the same. Even when audio and Video sync is off its rather slow.

Can you tell me what i have to configure so its in fullscreen in the top screen?

Last edited by Tyrant82,

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current May 2nd nightly builds seem to have a pretty nasty issue with screen tearing on the far left side of every emulator I've tried (CatSFC Plus, PocketSNES, and FCEUMM). These weren't here before and I have no clue if this has been addressed or not.

GorrillaRIBS

Gigyas became tame
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The current May 2nd nightly builds seem to have a pretty nasty issue with screen tearing on the far left side of every emulator I've tried (CatSFC Plus, PocketSNES, and FCEUMM). These weren't here before and I have no clue if this has been addressed or not.

Noticed that too, rolled back to the stable builds. Is @aliaspider aware of it? Think he's managing the 3DS version.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed that too, rolled back to the stable builds. Is @aliaspider aware of it? Think he's managing the 3DS version.

I guess I should've mentioned I was using the CIA builds in my original post. The last nightly CIA builds I used were the March 22nd ones, and those worked fine.

I tried clearing my settings (deleted the whole "retroarch" folder) and that somehow made it worse. The tearing issue on the far left side seems to be gone, but the video jerks so horribly even the NES games feel pretty unplayable. I tried the earliest builds available on the website (04/26 at the time of this writing), and those have the same issue. I'll be reverting to the March 22nd ones for now.

Installed MAME 2000 and 2003, and started Pac-Man on both, 2000 crashes and 2003 has a rotated stretched screen. How do I go about fixing this? Thanks!

(edit: at least Simpsons is playable... as Marge! WHO WANTS TO PLAY AS MARGE!? And Super Street Fighter 2 isn't playable at all!)

I noticed that the last time I tried that game in MAME. From my understanding, there were two versions of the game released. One was a 4-player arcade cabinet, and there was another one that only allowed a maximum of 2-players. I assume the 4-player build is what you're using since I ran into the same issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if that version "locks" which character you get to play as. Try the 2-player one!

GorrillaRIBS

Gigyas became tame
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess I should've mentioned I was using the CIA builds in my original post. The last nightly CIA builds I used were the March 22nd ones, and those worked fine.

Sorry, I meant the 3DS version in general (.cia, .3dsx, and .3ds) should've been more clear. The stable builds also seem to be clear of the issue, if you want to try those.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick inquiry into the NeoGeo FBA Core: When a Rom is running and you access the RA Menu, under Options, what is the Game-Options File supposed to do? So far I dont see anything

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I use the last stable release already! The emulators crashes nevertheless.

How are you launching these on your Original 3DS? It shouldn't matter, but are you launching them through the Homebrew Launcher (.3dsx) or through the 3DS' Home Menu (.cia)?

Have you also confirmed that the ROM images you're using are clean?

If all else fails, there should be a folder on the root of your SD card that Retroarch creates the first time it's launched. Delete that entirely, and then run the latest stable release again. See what happens. I assume you don't have any saves you want to hold on to since you can't launch it, but if that's the case I can instruct you on how to back up the saves so you don't lose them.

Tyrant82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Has someone tried the new 1.3.4 stable release?

And can someone please tell me what i have to set in video driver so i get a fullscreen on my n3ds xl topscreen and not the 4:3 box? Do i have to set it to "per core" or "custom" ?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And can someone please tell me what i have to set in video driver so i get a fullscreen on my n3ds xl topscreen and not the 4:3 box? Do i have to set it to "per core" or "custom" ?
You mean screwing with the Aspect Ratio? It's under the video options.

Reactions: Tyrant82

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country

Just tried it out on my N3DS, sadly this release seems to still be plagued by lots of vertical tearing. Back to 1.3.3.

For the best display, I'd suggest using the 'core provided' aspect ratio index and either the LQ2X or EPX video filters (however these may cause slowdown with some cores/games)

Reactions: Tyrant82

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it out on my N3DS, sadly this release seems to still be plagued by lots of vertical tearing. Back to 1.3.3.

For the best display, I'd suggest using the 'core provided' aspect ratio index and either the LQ2X or EPX video filters (however these may cause slowdown with some cores/games)
I haven't noticed any vertical tearing but I have noticed horizontal tearing.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mentioned the Horizontal Tearing issue to aliaspider on the RetroArch IRC, he says he knows of the issue, but hasn't had time to debug it yet, I'm sure he'll iron out the problem soon.

Aside from that, a lot of problems seem to have been fixed in the recent builds, one of them being that the emulator no longer blackscreens sometimes when going in/out of the home menu, and also a 3D effect has been added to the overlay now. (:

Reactions: democracy

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mentioned the Horizontal Tearing issue to aliaspider on the RetroArch IRC, he says he knows of the issue, but hasn't had time to debug it yet, I'm sure he'll iron out the problem soon.

Aside from that, a lot of problems seem to have been fixed in the recent builds, one of them being that the emulator no longer blackscreens sometimes when going in/out of the home menu, and also a 3D effect has been added to the overlay now. (:
How is the n3ds 3d tearing?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is the n3ds 3d tearing?
I'm not sure what you are asking here.
The screen is tearing horizontally (as opposed to vertical tearing which is what you see on computer games when you have Vsync turned off usually) The tearing happens along the left side of the viewport usually, and it seems to happen in all emulators at the moment. It's especially noticeable with 3D on because that tearing causes your eyes to see incorrect pixels creating a 3D warping effect whenever there is movement in that region.

Reactions: democracy

Tyrant82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Thanks alot, as soon as i opened the game and went to Aspect Ratio i saw how the screen got resized.

Since i am only playing FF7 right now and the slowdowns are really bad i try to find better settings for more smoothness.

I disabled the audio driver so it doesnt even load it for more performance.

And maybe i should set the FPS to 50 with Vsync on because i play a PAL game (dont know if this matters at all.)
or set the Region from AUTO to PAL?

I will try later :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Made in China is back to what it was in the 80s lol