Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

20mark

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Because of the Need to install every game seperately, with hundreds of games too much Icons on the homescreen and no savestates :(
couldn't agree more.
Having custom VC games running fine is good, but also a PITA when it comes to install 30-40+ titles. you end up with a messy home,plus the space of a .gba is very tiny compared to a "fat" custom VC .cia

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
RetroArch[Info] :: port dir: [sdmc:/retroarch/] is still a thing...

why do they break things instead of fixing them?

That's just the thing with those nightly builds. It's an automated process. The source code gets compiled, no matter what. Even if it contains errors. The code is compiled exactly as the developers left it. Even when they were in the middle of something and it's still unfinished. Which can lead to errors as you can see now.
That's why there are also stable releases. These are human-checked versions that are considered to be stable enough to count as an offical release.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just the thing with those nightly builds. It's an automated process. The source code gets compiled, no matter what. Even if it contains errors. The code is compiled exactly as the developers left it. Even when they were in the middle of something and it's still unfinished. Which can lead to errors as you can see now.
That's why there are also stable releases. These are human-checked versions that are considered to be stable enough to count as an offical release.
ooh, i thought people upload them, i was thinking why would they upload without testing.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Are those emulators fast or accuracy? So BlargSnes and PicoDrive are the best way for those consoles, well BlargSnes is giving me a black screen at startup, I think a workaround is to launch it through FBI.

The emulators I listed should be around full speed on the O3DS. I intentionally didn't list any that aren't.

Accuracy depends on the emulator but all should have high compatibility. In fact, Gambatte is the most accurate GB emulator out there.

Also, try the unofficial 1.3c build of blargSnes. A link should be over at the 4DSDev forum. It is compatible with a few more games (such as Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3).

ooh, i thought people upload them, i was thinking why would they upload without testing.
No, they are automatically compiled by a buildbot server every 3 hours.

Last edited by sj33,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried to play Kirby's Dream Land 3 on pocketsnes.cia on A9LH n3ds non-xl. Ran perfectly, until I got to level 1-4.

The water was completely opaque and made the level unplayable. I recall hearing this happening on older PC emus too, related to enabling high transparency mode and interpolating colors?

In any case, playing the level in snes9x managed as a decent workaround because snes9x fixed the water transparency issue, except the entire game ran at 40fps with that emu.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Tried to play Kirby's Dream Land 3 on pocketsnes.cia on A9LH n3ds non-xl. Ran perfectly, until I got to level 1-4.

The water was completely opaque and made the level unplayable. I recall hearing this happening on older PC emus too, related to enabling high transparency mode and interpolating colors?

In any case, playing the level in snes9x managed as a decent workaround because snes9x fixed the water transparency issue, except the entire game ran at 40fps with that emu.
I guess you went a bit overkill there :P Does it work with CATSFC? You might have gotten better FPS than by using SNES9x and no graphics issues, I think.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess you went a bit overkill there :P Does it work with CATSFC? You might have gotten better FPS than by using SNES9x and no graphics issues, I think.
I just tried CatSFC and CatSFC+ and they're both running the game at 4fps! I can't even get to the water room at a reasonable rate because it's running so slow! (Loading a pocketsnes state with catsfc didn't seem to work either)

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just tried CatSFC and CatSFC+ and they're both running the game at 4fps! I can't even get to the water room at a reasonable rate because it's running so slow! (Loading a pocketsnes state with catsfc didn't seem to work either)
That's kinda weird, CATSFC(+) should be lighter than SNES9x... Are you running the nightlies or the latest stable release btw?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't have a New 3DS, so that would be nice. :P
The latest stable is this one while the latest nightly is that one(2016-04-11).
Are you running them the .3dsx builds or the .cia builds btw?
I'm using the .cia versions on an A9LH 10.7 CakesFW sysnand. This is a non-XL N3DS (USA)

I just installed the stable release .cia for both versions of catsfc and Catsfc+ is now running the game at approximately 9-12fps.

On an unrelated note, I should also mention that MAME isn't working for me as a .cia nor .3dsx in the stable build, and I think it's audio related: The csnd driver doesn't load properly, and I've already downloaded YouTube and the Smash 4 demo off eShop, launching the mame 2000 .3dsx from hblauncher_loader.cia

kratoz29

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm using the .cia versions on an A9LH 10.7 CakesFW sysnand. This is a non-XL N3DS (USA)

I just installed the stable release .cia for both versions of catsfc and Catsfc+ is now running the game at approximately 9-12fps.

On an unrelated note, I should also mention that MAME isn't working for me as a .cia nor .3dsx in the stable build, and I think it's audio related: The csnd driver doesn't load properly, and I've already downloaded YouTube and the Smash 4 demo off eShop, launching the mame 2000 .3dsx from hblauncher_loader.cia

Wait what those low FPS?

Catsfc+ plays 60 FPS DKC for me.

EDIT: NN3DSXL.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Kirby is a known problem game, running at single digit franerates on CATSFC. It runs mostly 60fps using PocketSnes, but the water effect is broken as you say.

Reactions: matpower

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAME 2000 is basically MAME version .37b5, and 2003 is version .78. 2000 also runs better than 2003, with better performance overall on N3DS models, naturally. However, there seems to be no way to access the MAME menu in 2000, unlike in 2003 where you can access it by pressing ZL (I believe that's the default, if I remember correctly). Hopefully someone else can clarify/add some more info because I'm going off the top of my head here, so it might not be as accurate as it should be.

Reactions: d12unk13astard

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY