Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For some reason HDTVs and composite video signal "builds up" more lag than using component cables, add that a wavebird GC / wiimote (bluetooth seems more responsive than RF) and you got nearly 1/2 sec. of input lag. Some HDTVs like Sony tend to suffer, but LGs or older plasma tvs no (yes, but it isn't that noticeable). (depending on analog decoder?)

A wired GC controller fixes most lag issues

I use a Samsung LCD HDReady, plugged through component. I was playing Vampire Saviour in turbo mode Classic Pro Controller, and realised how much I was sucking. It just came up to my mind if it had to do something with input lag, threw a few weak punches and kinda seemed off. Plugged an only few months old unofficial GC controller, to realise it was already broken (I knew I had to purchase the official, actually at the time I was fooled thinking I had bought the official off ebay), left on d-pad, b button, jostick... it felt rusty after a few months not being used, yet it was smooth as silk to win the matches. Back to classic pro, and started to lose again.
I don't know about Tantric's emus, I haven't played such reaction demanding games, probably mario world and donkey kong on snesx9, sonic advance, on vbagx, before buying the component cables...

Sorry to jet, but most HDTVs totally suck for any kind of serious old-school gaming.

All the guys on fighting game forums such as Shoryuken know this - and wouldn't want to be seen dead training on an LCD/HDTV (granted, they're a bit nuts and fanatical - but they're still right in the grand scheme of things).

Also - videogame developers that make games for 360/PS3 have had to sacrifice 60fps for years now. This not only because the PS3/360 are seriously lacking in the CPU power department to begin with , butbecause they're worried that most people own HDTVs with sucky response times and they would get a barrage of complaints by people wondering why there is so much lag (when it's really their TV and the post-processing filter that is to blame). This is why you've seen such an onslaught of 30fps games with lame QTE gameplay - gotta give them people with laggy TVs time to press those buttons.

Also, they've stopped making rhythm action games such as Space Channel 5 and Parappa The Rapper on 'HD-ready' consoles for this same reason as well.

I made a post about this on a PS3 forum - forgive the slightly abrasive language - I have to wear different hats when hopping in/out of console scenes given the different ways people act in there -

http://www.ps3crunch...49441#post49441

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
HDTV owner here and I experience no lag using the Classic Controller.

Then you have a low response time and have turned on either 'Game Mode' (which in most cases is a non-post processing mode, but in other cases it is also a post-processing mode, so even that would suck in that case) or turned off all post-processing filters. Doesn't change the fact that response time is still inferior by far to CRT and that you would still notice a big difference when playing this on a CRT vs. HDTV.

This might be helpful to people to help determine whether their HD-ready monitor/TV has a high response time (which is bad) or a low one (which is good) -

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database.145141/

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried this for the first time yesterday and I'm definitely starting to use this from now on.

Is there any chance of supporting arcade boards (like Sega Model 2) and adding lightgun support for any of the already existing cores which are currently supported?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried this for the first time yesterday and I'm definitely starting to use this from now on.

Any chance of supporting arcade boards like Sega Model 2 and adding lightgun support for any of the already existing cores which are currently supported?

The only great CPS2 emulator out there is closed source.

As for lightgun support - yes, I would very much like to do something like that. We'll see.

Reactions: 1 person

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried CPS1 & CPS2, last night and it was only for any of the street fighter games which I have that are supported and working.

I couldn't get Hyper Street Fighter II: 25th Anniversary Edition (the best one, in my opinion) working though, as I ended up with a black screen. :(

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I made a post about this on a PS3 forum - forgive the slightly abrasive language - I have to wear different hats when hopping in/out of console scenes given the different ways people act in there -

http://www.ps3crunch...49441#post49441

Much like every polite member out there, you can't be polite everywhere against kids.

Hope you don't mind the small off topic guys.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@hielkenator and dogway

punisher and street fighter hyper edition(and hyper/turbo edition) work just fine, u just gotta have the right rom.

the only street fighter roms i couldnt get to work are sf2t/sf2tj and sf2mdt.

and also, ive never gotten a single neogeo game to load. ive tried the correct sets(and then 3 different sets).. small roms, medium sized roms, different bios', etc etc nothing works

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@hielkenator and dogway

punisher and street fighter hyper edition(and hyper/turbo edition) work just fine, u just gotta have the right rom.

and also, ive never gotten a single neogeo game to load. ive tried the correct sets(and then 3 different sets).. small roms, medium sized roms, different bios', etc etc nothing works
@hielkenator and dogway

Sf2t and sf2tj work on FBACores CPS1 - sf2mdt has been ripped out though because it's a Mega Drive Street Fighter II bootleg that needs a lot of Genesis/Mega Drive files pulled in and I thought it was pretty redundant anyway.

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to jet, but most HDTVs totally suck for any kind of serious old-school gaming.

All the guys on fighting game forums such as Shoryuken know this - and wouldn't want to be seen dead training on an LCD/HDTV (granted, they're a bit nuts and fanatical - but they're still right in the grand scheme of things).

Thanks for all the insights on this. I'm aware of the implicit lag on LCD TV's, but I thought them to be bearable... that's why I always have all TV PostProcessing turned off (no game mode and stuff, 2006 TV here). But one year ago I was very into bit trip runner, (great game that I recommend you!), if you know that game actually is a rhythm game, and reaction time must be very sharp (in the ms) otherwise you are punished to restart the track. I played with wiimote only (maybe that is the reason?) but I was using composite cables, and I didn't perceived too much lag to make it unplayable, I wasn't conscious about it, so it was likely minimal.

For RetroArch I tried to disable bilinear to see if a speedup was possible. I don't know really, over time I will bitch (:P) back again about this if I find that the lag is not perceived but existent. Don't want to bother you anymore XD gotta learn new combos now!
@hielkenator and dogway

Thanks! yes, I also could make work the punisher, you might have skipped my post.
What I couldn't load no matter what was sf2.zip (Street Fighter II: The World Warrior), and yes I was using CPS1 core. :(

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Does RetroArch for Wii support booting with command-line arguments? It'd be neat if it did, so that when you launch it, you could pass it a rom file path and the name of a core(or auto determine the core needed) so that homebrew loaders like Postloader, Wiiflow, etc. can launch the roms directly. That way you wouldn't have to worry about people complaining about covers and whatnot, when other programs take care of that.

tankberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For example, i tried the NES mario bros 3, and only with the wiimote responds correctly but if I connect the gamepad pro it shows a delay in controls, is very noticeable when you press jump repeatedly into the air with raccoon costume. If I unplug the gamepad the game works again correctly

Same here. I tried CPS2 games with wiimote alone and had no noticeable input lag. But classic controller or arcade stick giving pretty heavy lag, can;t enjoy games with it. Looks like wired controller is our only fix in this situation. I use Samsung LCD TV and component cables, btw.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For example, i tried the NES mario bros 3, and only with the wiimote responds correctly but if I connect the gamepad pro it shows a delay in controls, is very noticeable when you press jump repeatedly into the air with raccoon costume. If I unplug the gamepad the game works again correctly

Same here. I tried CPS2 games with wiimote alone and had no noticeable input lag. But classic controller or arcade stick giving pretty heavy lag, can;t enjoy games with it. Looks like wired controller is our only fix in this situation. I use Samsung LCD TV and component cables, btw.

Nothing I can do about it - any and all blame falls squarely on the HDTV maker and the TV set they manufactured. It is a fact that lots of them have very crap response times and this gets downplayed in their marketing spiels. If you have to choose between an LCD TV or a monitor, get a monitor as it is likely it doesn't have all sorts of laggy post-processing filters running at all times. Check what kind of response time your TV has - if it's too high, that can't be fixed no matter what types of cables you buy unless you buy a new one that doesn't suck as badly. It's all about the response time.

Or just use a CRT and enjoy gaming the way it was meant to be for these games. The Wii doesn't support HD resolutions anyways.

I'll just link to this -

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/wii-lag-with-hdtv.452451817/

'Wii lag with HDTV'

'I've been trying to play my mario games on the Wii (I have SMB3 and the lost levels downloaded) but there is a ridiculous amount of lag. It's not the first time I've had this problem- it's just been a while since I've played my Wii (actually, last time I played it was before I got my HDTV). Is there a way to calibrate the lag? I already ordered component cables.'

aeh: "It's funny how modern TV tech is really a step backwards at least in terms of response for gaming. I have an HD CRT and have no issues with lag. Shame that CRT tech is dead and yet there is still no modern equivalent in terms of sheer response and lack of motion blur. Computer gamers have even resorted to modding and overclocking LCD monitors for PC gaming that's how sad the state of affairs really is: http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club"

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I bought a Sony Bravia instead, the lag time on those suckers is actually virtually nonexistent (~4ms if I recall correctly). But the brand I have isn't crappy either, so it's not too bad.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is cool, I don't honestly see the appeal.

All these emulators already exist on the wii independently, and many of them in much better GUIs like VBAGX, SNES9XGX, FCEUGX. And even then it doesn't support all available emulators so you still need other emulators to be accessed like Wii64, WiiSX, Mame, Wiirtual Boy, etc. So until there is the true all in one emulator, I just don't see how this is all that greater than what we already have.

Personally I like to have channels dedicated for each kind of emulator. I'm sure some will find value in this, but unless they find away to put the best form of each emulator into this, as well as incorporate all systems that are missed, I just don't think this is anything all that special. But I do see it as progress, and certainly appreciate the kind of coding necessary to make this happen. But for now I'll stick to my individual emulators.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is cool, I don't honestly see the appeal.

All these emulators already exist on the wii independently, and many of them in much better GUIs like VBAGX, SNES9XGX, FCEUGX. And even then it doesn't support all available emulators so you still need other emulators to be accessed like Wii64, WiiSX, Mame, Wiirtual Boy, etc. So until there is the true all in one emulator, I just don't see how this is all that greater than what we already have.

Personally I like to have channels dedicated for each kind of emulator. I'm sure some will find value in this, but unless they find away to put the best form of each emulator into this, as well as incorporate all systems that are missed, I just don't think this is anything all that special. But I do see it as progress, and certainly appreciate the kind of coding necessary to make this happen. But for now I'll stick to my individual emulators.

having FBA lets us play cps1, cps2, some cave games, etc at full speed. and we can finally play doom 1/2 with music support. also the console emulators are excellent in terms of speed(especially the snes core)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later