Homebrew RetroArch 3DS is almost unusable

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've previously installed RetroArch and it was really nice, it was a superb emulator. But I haven't updated it. I thought that update will bring something new to the emulator and it will be faster. And I was wrong. Now there is massive screen tearing (even though I have VSync turned on) and the controls don't always work (for example in Super Mario All-Stars they work until I open some game (like Super Mario World). They still work on menu of SMW, but when I will start playing I'm stuck on opening cutscene (Welcome to the dinosaur land). I thought that installing .cia version might fix the problem. It didn't. It's the same as it was before. But when I select close with the .cia version not only the emulated game closes, but the core closes too, so I need to restart the emulator to change game. And when I've installed the .cia version I have many icons of emulators, but there aren't any names, so I need to open them with my intuition.

Am I the only one with these problems? If yes, then how can I fix them?
I'm using New 3DS with Luma3DS A9LH with version 11.0.0-33E.

TechyTurtle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you probably used a nightly build then make sure it says stable build google retroarch stable builds for 3ds and you will find it

Juray

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should always make backups of whatever you are updating, and write down the version you're updating from. That way you can be sure games will work.

That being said, I just started using retroarch gpsp a week ago, and noticed some screen tearing on the left side. Try turning on GPU sync or the 2xSaI filter, or both. That somewhat helped. And do a full reinstall - just use a stable build.

Emulators in .cia format also work better, in my experience.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
Install the 1.3.3. stable release. Retroarch 3ds has a lot of great emulators to offer (pocketsnes, picodrive, nestopia, FBA Neo, etc) but is still very user-unfriendly and lacks many important features like core-specific configs or button remapping in certain cores, and there are still many leftover config settings that are useless on 3ds. Also lots of screen tearing and gpsp instability in recent builds. But despite its problems, the devs have done some great work here. I just hope they're not finished with the 3ds yet.

If you play SMW on CATSFC(+), due to an old bug you'll need to swap the controller slot before the controls work. Check 'core options' for a workaround. Or, just use PocketSNES because it's the best.

Last edited by coinblock,

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry, I've totally forgot about this thread. I've previously got the stable version. I've reinstalled it, and I've downloaded the stable version, and the problems that I have are still the same.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I've totally forgot about this thread. I've previously got the stable version. I've reinstalled it, and I've downloaded the stable version, and the problems that I have are still the same.
which emulator are you using in particular that is showing these issues?

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Use stable 1.3.3. Every version after this has had screen tearing issues.

Player-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the controls don't always work (for example in Super Mario All-Stars they work until I open some game (like Super Mario World). They still work on menu of SMW, but when I will start playing I'm stuck on opening cutscene (Welcome to the dinosaur land)

if you wanna play the snes super mario games (allstars, smw) you need to swap controllers, which you can only do on catsfc/catsfc+. to do so go to settings > configuration and switch on 'use per-game core options if available', load either one of those games, then from the quick menu go into core options and switch 'swap joypads' to enable. highlight 'create game-options file' and press a, now you'll be able to play those games normally.

Last edited by Player-1,

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
which emulator are you using in particular that is showing these issues?
Every emulator that I'm using shows these issues.
This includes:
Fceumm
Catsfc+
PocketSNES
And is this normal that when I'm using .cia Retroarch files and I close game with option close it automatically closes the core too (which leaves me with Retroarch without loaded core)?

EDIT:
Have you tested the new 1.3.6 build? Maybe it fixes some problems?

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
stop using anything newer than 1.3.3 release,nobody is maintaining it for 3ds,and so—called stable releases are still nightlies,they just name nightlies to stable release.

the emulators will just be broken and more broken.nearly every change they made for other platfoms will break something for 3ds.

Last edited by pdapanda,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-