RetroArch 1.9.9 released, now has HDR and AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution support

ra.png

A new version of RetroArch is here, and as usual, it brings plenty of new features to the table. For this update, the Libretro team has added some visual updates, with the highlight being support for high dynamic range, or HDR. If you're using Direct3D 11 or 12 drivers, you'll be able to enable HDR, as of v1.9.9, at least on Windows. HDR support is planned for modern Xbox systems as well, though it currently is buggy and disabled in this build. In other RetroArch news, AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is now usable with the frontend as well. This allows for cleaner graphics in most games, and can be used with any core.

We have had to update our Direct3D 11 driver to allow for the use of Shader Model 5.0 when your GPU supports it, since this shader requires SM 5.0 features and wouldn’t work on D3D11 without it.
The contributor mentions in his pull request that implementing AMD FSR as a pixel shader seemed to work out just fine despite AMD insisting it is supposed to be implemented as a compute shader.

On top of this straight port of FSR, he also took the time to remake the SMAA shader. It is now supposed to be less of a port and just uses the original library unmodified, while adding a few features and higher quality search textures. The contributor wasn’t too happywith the quality of this AA and wanted to check if it could be improved, mainly because FSR requires good looking AA (Anti-Aliasing) otherwise it wouldn’t make much sense.

In the end, quality gains were marginal, pretty much imperceptible. Despite that, there is also an AMD FSR+SMAA preset that you can use.
You can see some comparison images down below – to the far left is the image without any shaders, in the middle is AMD FSR, and to the right is AMD FSR + SMAA applied.

Ys_Seven_undub-fsr.png

The last major update new to 1.9.9 is bottom touchscreen support for RetroArch on the Nintendo 3DS. Now you can have a handful of options available to use at all times, including creating and loading restore points, as well as the current framerate. According to the developers, there shouldn't be any negative performance issues as a result of the new touchscreen capabilities, though you can disable it in the settings if you run into any problems.

RetroArch 1.9.9 is currently available for a variety of different systems, so if you want to play around with these new features, be sure to update, or grab the latest version from the official site.

:arrow: Source

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Should be mentioned that the 3DS port has support for the bottom screen
^^Ignore that. I'm an idiot and didn't read the article. Ack

Either way, sick update. Really happy they added support for the 3DS touchscreen!

Last edited by Wavy,
Reactions: Payne
D

Deleted User

I wish more Switch Games would start to utilize FSR, I could really imagine that games like Xenoblade would benefit a lot visually from this.
And yes I know DLSS exists, but in the current form of the Switch that is not possible, besides the extra work that will be needed from the developers implementing it, compared to FSR.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Retroarch is always being updated, really shows how much the developers care about it
They have a regular update plan. Don't remember how often but I think it was something like "every two weeks". So yeah, that's great. On the other hand, RetroArch has raised into such a big project with too few developers, that there are always more issues on Github than what the devs could fix within time.
This for example is completely untouched since may:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/12377

AMD FSR + SMAA
Wow, this looks really good.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It is awesome news for the millions of users that this project already have. As for me, when I think on RetroArch the first thing that comes to my mind is that huge amounts of menus, cascading between one and other with tons of options and the stupid me having trouble to select a single directory.

D

Deleted User

I see people complain a lot about the UI, honestly what's stopping someone from making a custom simple UI for this?
Just use Retroarch for more than 5 minutes and you'll understand where every setting is supposed to be.
I honestly cannot understand how people can consider this UI to be complicated or unorganized.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Just use Retroarch for more than 5 minutes and you'll understand where every setting is supposed to be.
I honestly cannot understand how people can consider this UI to be complicated or unorganized.

Well a good UI doesn't even require that much time to understand, a good UI is what makes sense the moment you take a look at things, it's why there's now even degrees and jobs surrounding UI design.

What I'm wondering is just why no one has attempted to make another UI you can install for this given the frequent complaints, justified or not.

Reactions: osaka35

NelGibs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be mentioned that the 3DS port has support for the bottom screen
^^Ignore that. I'm an idiot and didn't read the article. Ack

Either way, sick update. Really happy they added support for the 3DS touchscreen!
Do CPS1 and CPS2 games run fullspeed on new 3ds? I'm only interested in those arcade games and Neo Geo

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The UI is a lot simpler than it probably seems to newcomers. Just think of it like "Load Core" is the same as "Launch X emulator from desktop." From there, "Load content" is the same as "Load ROM" in the standalone emulator. You can simplify this further by using playlists, which can be set to use a default emulator for each playlist. Use the "Import Content" option to create playlists.

Then, you basically just scroll right and press A on a playlist, then A again on the game you want to play. Couldn't be easier, though the setup does admittedly still have a learning curve. But most of the more complex things are optional anyway. Load core, load content. Simple as that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone