Retro Game Challenge 2

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Sora de Eclaune, Dec 15, 2011.

Dec 15, 2011
  1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Does anyone know anything about the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation? (Here) Like if there's any reason there haven't been any updates on the website, or if anyone knows how it's going, I mean.

2. Cheetara

Newcomer Cheetara Newbie

Brazil
    It's the second time they don't tell us what's going on with this project, the previous site too have only the first update. But, if you look on the comments section of this video:

"arino2011" tell that the work keep going, a lot of stuff behind the scene.
    in other hand, he post this comment a long time ago. Don't really know if the project still on green. If somebody knows anything, please tell! This game is too important!!

3. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Ah. Alright. But there hasn't been anything said in 4 months.

4. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    A brief look just right there on Youtube reveals that the fan-translator calling himself "Arino2011" hit the wall due to translation problems (most of the game is apparently written in Kansai dialect) and actually sent out a request for help. He apparently also goes by "XVirus" and has worked on other games in the past. I think he asked for help before that last update 4 months ago...

5. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Oh. I must have swept right over that.

6. xvirus

Member xvirus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hmm, I suppose I should clear up a few things about our translation? Over the past few months our team has dropped down to 4 members, leaving only myself, one translator, our editor and graphics/website guy. As most of us are also students and work, stuff has been going rather slowly lately. I'd like to get things moving again, though I think we'd have to recoup some of our staff losses first, mostly more translators and someone who's better at coding than myself. As it stands right now, a decent amount of the non-game dialogue has been finished, though there is still a LOT left that needs to be done. I hope this helps clear up a bit of the status of this project.

7. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    xvirus, you should post updates on the progress on the website (and definitely post if progress is temporarily halted). People interested in this should be more informed.

8. xvirus

United States
    Yeah, I agree that things haven't been handled the best. There's been a lot of things going on in my life right now that required more of my attention, so it hasn't really been on my mind. I actually wouldn't have even seen this topic had a friend not told me about it. Things in my life are starting to get back in order now though, so I'm hoping to return to the project and hopefully recruit some new staff.

9. choconado

United States
    Hear that tempers? He's asking for help on this. If you have the skills, jump in. IIRC, laying down the gauntlet was exactly how Nanashi No Game got translated. It's up to you.

10. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    And that topic was made by Sora as well. Maybe that will help. :P

Anyway, ontopic, I wish you luck in finding helpers, but I'm useless at anything that could actually help.

11. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I wish I could help, but I'm useless, I wish you the best with finding staff.

12. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Try asking for help on romhacking.net. There are probably at least 5 people there who would be interested in helping.

Thanks for clearing things up, also. It's nice to see that the project wasn't totally abandoned.

13. choconado

United States
    Also, I'd like to say thanks for stepping up and resuming answering the fans questions. I realize it's a pretty intimidating concept, considering how many there are out there that are whiny and have this rude sense of self-privilege that convinces them it's okay to berate you at no end for the smallest nitpick.

By the way, you said the outside-the-games dialogue was nearly complete. Were you able to capture the humor aspects that were present in the first game? (And in the good-natured spirit of the first game, don't be afraid to throw an old-school translation joke in here or there)

1 person likes this.
  14. xvirus

United States
    As far as the outside dialogue goes, yes.. I would say we captured the same feeling as the first game. Our editor, Ray Barnholt, is a huge Game Center CX/Retro Game Challenge nut and has been able to bring a lot of the same style of humor from the first game and incorporate it into the dialogue.

15. choconado

United States
    just a small observation about the game here, judging from clips.... Is it just me or in part two here did they make Arino look less like um, Arino than they did in part one? (you have to be a fan of the show to know what I'm talking about)

16. xvirus

United States
    That's a good question and I'm not really sure why they changed the models. I guess they had to find some way to upgrade him to Kachou 2.0 lol Personally I'm a fan of how they modeled him in the first game as well.

17. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Maybe Arino was like "Hey, you made me look stupid. If I'm the all important game master, I should look cool."

18. choconado

United States
    ...I really wouldn't rule that theory out knowing the kachou

19. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    I wouldn't, either.

20. choconado

United States
    They totally should have put in an option in the game that if you were doing bad you could wear a cold-patch on your head. :P